Gasoline Fumes

theoldpaths

I have searched for this problem in forums, and it does not appear to be common issue.

My 1990 LS400 has a fuel smell that is generally coming from the passenger rear side of the car when it warmer outside. I do not see any sign of leaking fuel on the pavement. The cap seems to be seated good when screwed in.

What could be causing this smell? I want to make sure this is not an unsafe situation for my family, and it's just plain stinky at times. :o

Thanks for all the great information here on this site.

I've seen a lot of threads about a gasoline smell. The hissing just has to do with pressure inside the tank.

Here's a quote from an alright guy in the OTHER gas cap topic RIGHT above this one ;) haha

" There's always going to be some pressure in the tank due to heat from the exhaust and outside temps. But if it's excessive try replacing the gasket in the gas cap or the gas cap itself. They're not expensive.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/maintenance...lcapgasket.html " -eatingupblacktop

And about the smell, is it JUST on start-up? or ALL the time no matter what?

I didn't tighten the gas cap enough on my 94LS once, and was amazed how it stunk in my garage. The fumes go out that overflow hole in the filler. So even though you don't have evidence of gas on the floor, I would replace the cap. Couple of bucks-you might get lucky. Best of luck.