Harmonic Balancer Issue?

90LS400Lexus

I guess thats how its spelled. As mentioned in a previous thread, my car has that vibration at certain RPMS that I have discounted as worn motor mounts and/or transmission mount. Its getting worse and more annoying and since I am giving the car to my mother, I want it in presentable condition.

I took it to one of our mechanics today and he did that "place in gear and heavily accelerate and watch the engine trick" and the engine barely moves... he said he did not think it was the motor mounts, but I am wondering if that one these cars that even if the engine does not visibly move, that I still cannot rule out the mounts. I then told him to check it in park and to "race" the engine a little and he would be able to feel the vibation through the accelerator and steering wheel. He did and he felt it. He said he thought it seemed more like the "harmonic balancer" out of balance. ?? Does this sound possible? Has anyone ever heard of this happening on these cars? If so, how hard to replace it and what causes them to go out of round?

Tons of questions I know, but I hate the vibration myself and its getting to where while driving that the car makes buzzing/rattling noised from the console area from the shaking! :(

Thanks

my engine did not visibly shake with bad mounts. however, replacing them removed the vibration i felt in the seat at ~1800 rpms in park, a slight hesitation at low RPMs as well as the steering wheel and shifter vibration. I never felt anything in drive or any clunking or surging when shifting into or out of park, but all 3 mounts were definitely worn.

my engine did not visibly shake with bad mounts. however, replacing them removed the vibration i felt in the seat at ~1800 rpms in park, a slight hesitation at low RPMs as well as the steering wheel and shifter vibration. I never felt anything in drive or any clunking or surging when shifting into or out of park, but all 3 mounts were definitely worn.

Thanks - well I got to thinking that its probably the mounts, because when I start it, at times, I get that "kick" feeling from the engine! Oh and that hesitation! I definitely have that! Mainly when I accelerate from a stop, it goes fine, but as soon as it hits 1200 rpms in 1st gear, its like a "dead spot", it will hesitate, then after that, it goes. I wonder why it does that? What confuses me is that when I took it to the dealer a few months ago, they said it was the tires causing it and to "wear out" the tires, replace them and see if that helps it. I do not think the tires would cause a vibration through the steering wheel, accelerator when the car is STOPPED, now would it? <_< Sounds like I have a smart dealer tech? Maybe I should simply let the Toyota dealer replace them if they will?

When I mentioned motor mounts, that mechanic said "eew" when he raised the hood, like it would be a severe job, which I already knew. He said he would get the jacks under it, etc, but I think I would be better off biting the bullet, SQUEEZE my savings account and letting the Lexus dealer replace ALL of the mounts for the $560. quoted price, then give the car to my mom. WOW, this car has really costed me! When I bought it, I had no idea the mounts were worn out. After the mounts, I will have nearly invested $5000 in a 17 year old Lexus with 213K. :( I am not a rich man either. I make less than $10 per hour (and work HARD for that), which is nothing in this day and time, then trying to get through school to be a meteorologist. I do have a couple of thousand saved up in my savings account, but I am a penny pincher with that. :D

The plus side is I will get her 4-cylinder car to use as a work car that gets about 26 mpg, so I will be saving some $ there, because I am buying a different vehicle as an occasional driver to "replace" the Lexus.

I just hope that after spending that $560 that it will remedy the problem. If not, I will be one unhappy camper!

When I mentioned motor mounts, that mechanic said "eew" when he raised the hood, like it would be a severe job, which I already knew. He said he would get the jacks under it, etc, but I think I would be better off biting the bullet, SQUEEZE my savings account and letting the Lexus dealer replace ALL of the mounts for the $560. quoted price, then give the car to my mom. WOW, this car has really costed me! When I bought it, I had no idea the mounts were worn out. After the mounts, I will have nearly invested $5000 in a 17 year old Lexus with 213K. :( I am not a rich man either. I make less than $10 per hour (and work HARD for that), which is nothing in this day and time, then trying to get through school to be a meteorologist. I do have a couple of thousand saved up in my savings account, but I am a penny pincher with that. :D

The plus side is I will get her 4-cylinder car to use as a work car that gets about 26 mpg, so I will be saving some $ there, because I am buying a different vehicle as an occasional driver to "replace" the Lexus.

I just hope that after spending that $560 that it will remedy the problem. If not, I will be one unhappy camper!

Actually, considering the labor involved, $560 does not sound bad at all to me to have the dealership replace the mounts. That's what most independent mechanics charge and they do not give you a courtesy car.

Actually, considering the labor involved, $560 does not sound bad at all to me to have the dealership replace the mounts. That's what most independent mechanics charge and they do not give you a courtesy car.

Thanks. I wonder how long it takes the dealer to replace them? Engine mounts and transmission mount that is.

90', engine mounts are a bit outside of the shade-tree mechanic's skill, but certainly not for dealership labor rates. If you buy them online and find a local mechanic that you like and trust, it shouldn't be more than $300 total. I bought mine online and had a guy I liked at the Exxon station put them in, never a problem. The transmission mount is cake too, easily a shadetree job, and online they're not that expensive. If I recall from when I bought it, I think it was like $30 bucks. Mounts were around $75 each.

Thanks. Well, I am good friends with a girl whose father is a certified mechanic at a local Toyota dealer. On the side, he works on Toyotas at home at much lower rates. I know that the LS400 does not have a Toyota counterpart here in the USA, but surely he would be familiar enough with the car to do it. I may check with him this week to see how much he would charge.

Heck, it may make it so smooth that I will not want to give it to mom. :D

I had a 94 Ford Taurus that had the same type of issue (I couldn't figure the vibration out). I replaced the motor mounts, and struts.., Tuned the car up, put in new CV shafts.. And, it didn't fix it. I chased the problem for nearly a year and did all the work myself.

So, it still had the vibration and it annoyed me. I sold the car after spending - 600$ in parts to figure it out. Turns out it had more to do with the transmission and those cars are notorius for trans shimmy, shake etc..

I say, if the car drives good enough and rides good, @ age 17, don't worry about dumping 560$ into it. Not worth the money for an old car. Unless, you've got the coin and you really like the car (on your income that's a heavy tax for a vibration). If your giving it to your Mom and it annoys her - maybe she can pay for it.

2 cents -