Sold My '95...

blake918

I wasn't really looking for a new car, but my friend was having a tough time getting the money he wanted for his '99 LS, and told me that if he's going to get screwed, he at least wants the car going to someone who will take care of it and enjoy it, someone like me. I've always loved the 98-00 styling. It's probably my favorite design Lexus has put out, so I couldn't resist taking it off is hands. He had it in the newspaper for $10k, but I bought it for $8k. The '99 had 161,0xx miles on it when I bought it 2 weeks ago, and I'm now at 163,000. For the options, it has the cd changer, factory xenon lights, and sadly, the sunroof. It's my favorite color too, mystic gold. It really suits the LS quite well since it is an understated and very elegant color. The tires, timing belt, starter, and rear main seal are all less than a year old.

I was surprised that I sold my old '95 so quickly. I wasn't in a huge rush to sell it, so I put it on craigslist first since it is free to list there. I sold the car to the first guy I was able to meet up with (6 days in to the craigslist posting). She had 315,0xx miles on it when I handed the title and keys over. It was a truly wonderful car; it served me extremely well during the 4 years I had it.

Here's the new '99 about a week after I bought it.....

gallery_1461_550_50253.jpg

gallery_1461_550_17507.jpg

gallery_1461_550_17527.jpg

gallery_1461_550_54608.jpg

Eat your heart out, me! What a beaut. Congrats, B. I hear you on the 98-00 styling. There's only two things I would take from the 95-97 models and place in the 98-00 for it to suit me perfectly.

Enjoy the new ride!

Sweet Blake! B) Very nice looking LS.......and congrats on both your purchase & sale.
Thanks Bren!! :cheers:
Eat your heart out, me! What a beaut. Congrats, B. I hear you on the 98-00 styling. There's only two things I would take from the 95-97 models and place in the 98-00 for it to suit me perfectly.

Enjoy the new ride!

Thank ya Ed! I'm curious, what are the two things you'd take from the 95-97? I've been using my dad's (while he is out of town) V1 radar that I bought him for Father's day, and it makes me sad to go back to my arrow-less X50!! hehe
Whadya mean "and sadly a sunroof"? I also like the 3rd gen styling, much more than the early 430's. Congrats!

:cheers:

I'm 6'4" without shoes and would take the extra headroom over the sunroof any day of the week. I greatly prefer the ac to open windows unless the weather is perfect, and that's very, very rare here in Louisiana. I know that it is next to impossible to find a LS without a sunroof, so I just live with it. Thanks BT!
Excellent :cheers: Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful car B)
Thanks David! :D
Great looking car Blake. I agree with you on the idea that the 98-00 are great looking. They have always been my favorite, and I think they are the most handsome looking LS models.
Thanks Ray! Couldn't agree more! :cheers:
Awesome Blake!!

Hope this one goes as far as your 95 did!

I love the 98-00 too! I really wish I had VVT-i and 5 gears! :lol:

Thanks Jordan! I sure this one will be as good as my '95...I'm glad that the starter was just done, that's a relief! I'm looking forward to bringing this car up to 300k+ miles! I was hoping that this 5 speed was going to have a real overdrive, but no dice. It's still 2,400-2,600 rpms for 75-80 mph. Passing on two lane roads with the extra hp is more exciting though! haha B)
how much did you sell old faithful for?
I sold my '95 for $2600. I don't know if that's good or bad since it's not everyday that a super high mile car sells. If I remember correctly, KBB says $2500 or $2600 is trade in value. I wanted at least $2k for it, so I was happy with $2600. I was asking $3,000, and the guy wanted me to come down since the windshield was pretty bad and the tilt steering gear was stripped. I was fine with that. I knew that the windshield needed to be changed, but I never bothered since the cracks didn't bug me, and I knew that if I'd have a new glass installed, a day and a half later, I'd get hit by a rock on the interstate.

The arrows! That is funny. When I went to CA for a BMW meet, me and the guy I was with were riding dirty in a guy from the boards 1999 740 so I told him to take his V1 with him from Florida and he did! We spent a lot of road time with that thing and the only time it ever went off was a little beep in a parking lot by Wal Tron. Boooooo. I know a girl who has one but never drove with her so I never get to see them in action! I am curious about their ramp-up.

I was suppose to buy a X50 from a guy on Craigslist but he has not replied back to my last email. Tear. It was a blue one, year old with everything but the box for $100. I paid $80 for my 8500 and had to build new suction cups after two days! I hope this X50 deal goes through, though. I want to see what it is like compared to my old-timer that is literally falling apart!

Here are my two 'faux pas' on the 98-00.

I think this just ruins the nice and subtle look of these cars.

945e_4.JPG

I have it on my BMW and like it. Just on the Lex it seems odd.

This may be more personal taste but I don't like the placement of the clock and temperature displays on the 98+

945a_4.JPG

I like having the two up high kind of away from the crowd and sunken into the dash.

Other than those two complaints I could eaisly see myself selling my 7 for one. No nav though. I put it in my E38 and love it but it ruins the look of the Lexus to me. Much like the green info display!

Enjoy the car! Next mod is to get that X50 hardwired and mounted up high!

Good on ya Blake... A handsome automobile and I know you, of all people will take care of her, him or it..... A lucky car..:cheers:
Thanks Ralph! Hopefully, before the summer is over, we can find the time to check out each others new LSs! :cheers:
The arrows! That is funny. When I went to CA for a BMW meet, me and the guy I was with were riding dirty in a guy from the boards 1999 740 so I told him to take his V1 with him from Florida and he did! We spent a lot of road time with that thing and the only time it ever went off was a little beep in a parking lot by Wal Tron. Boooooo. I know a girl who has one but never drove with her so I never get to see them in action! I am curious about their ramp-up.

I was suppose to buy a X50 from a guy on Craigslist but he has not replied back to my last email. Tear. It was a blue one, year old with everything but the box for $100. I paid $80 for my 8500 and had to build new suction cups after two days! I hope this X50 deal goes through, though. I want to see what it is like compared to my old-timer that is literally falling apart!

Here are my two 'faux pas' on the 98-00.

I think this just ruins the nice and subtle look of these cars.

I have it on my BMW and like it. Just on the Lex it seems odd.

This may be more personal taste but I don't like the placement of the clock and temperature displays on the 98+

I like having the two up high kind of away from the crowd and sunken into the dash.

Interesting points, and I have to say I mostly agree. However, one thing that I hated about my '95 is that the little crevice where the time and temp were was just a big dust collecting pit, and I think you are right about the colors of the text display, but it sure is a fun toy to play with when you're on the highway! I wasn't interested in nav either, thanks to my Garmin.

If you like the X50, then, you'd like the V1 since I find that they are very similar except the V1 has the wonderful arrows. B) I always laugh when I see people who have their radar mounted at the lowest possible point on the windshield. I keep mine to the right of the rear-view mirror, nice and high.

Haha, I hear you on the dust. I have one of my microfibers with me on the armrest to protect it from wear and tear and it is used as a quick detailer! I love it.

I have mine to the left of the mirror! How great minds do think alike. Although it has not seen much activity as of late.

Damn your purchase really makes me wanna sell my 7 for a 98+! I think once it is paid off and the warranty is up the search shall begin. With school though who knows. perhaps it doesn't begin! I need to save up some $$ for my dream car anyway. Aston Martin DBS!

Congrats on the new ride; although I will miss hearing about the '95; it was my talisman for how a high mileage LS can (and should) look.

I agree about Mystic Gold; there have been similar colors all the way back to the '90 and it basically looks like the LS was made for it. Very handsome; and the car looks like it's in great shape. It's found a good home!

It continues to amaze me how modern the first and second gen LS400s look; even today. They never look dated or old; especially compared to their peers. I especially like the solid rear window glass and the fancy way it rolls down.

Blake! There is a tear in my beer! I guess I'll have to cancel the strippers for the 500k party :( .

Actually, congrats man! Although I must admit, I'm a bit suprised you bought another LS though, considering the interior space and such. I was thinking you'd be cruisin' in a caddy! But, nonetheless, you made an excellent decision! And now just think of all the stuff you learned on your old 95', can now be used on the new 99'. I bet you're really enjoying the additional HP and 5th gear!

If you like the X50, then, you'd like the V1 since I find that they are very similar except the V1 has the wonderful arrows. B) I always laugh when I see people who have their radar mounted at the lowest possible point on the windshield. I keep mine to the right of the rear-view mirror, nice and high.

Many years ago I had this little black box, with a red button on it, that would set off people's radar detectors within a couple hundred feet of it. It's purpose was to get those 18 wheelers off your tail when they tailgated you. You'd push that button and all of the sudden they'd fall back, way back. I had sooo much fun with that thing, until I left it in a rental in Newport News, VA. I've never seen another. My uncle, who is a 747 pilot for UPS, picked it up in Tiawan one year and gave it to me at Christmas. I'd see guys come flying up the road at nearly 20mph+ over the limit, flashing their lights for people to move, just to be driving fast. Then they'd come by me to where I could see the lights of their detector on the dash, hit that button, watch those light go red, and laugh my butt off as they freaked out and stomped on the brakes. We'd go a few more miles, they'd start to speed up again, and WHAMO', I'd do it again! Just loved that thing! :lol::lol:

I am so jealous.

I recently took a job which required commuting, and I regretfully sold my dark green 2000 LS400 and bought a

2004 Mazda3. Hated the Mazda.

I searched, and came up with an immaculate, dealer maintained 2000 ES300.

I think its the same colour as your LS400 ... it sure looks better on the LS, I must say.

My Lexus dealer is taking in a 2000 black LS400 in October ... we may swap the ES back into the LS400.

Both cars are great, but I just feel that you can load up more miles on the LS.

Congrats on your car ... I've never seen the beige/gold in person, but it suits the LS.post-39333-1217276364_thumb.jpg

Like I told you in the email, congrats she's a beauty!

I don't know why the computer readout is green either, but you get used to it.

One thing I noticed, you have some yellowing of the headlights up at the top, from it sitting outside. This is really common with that generation LS, you see them all the time with headlights that are almost opaque. Hit them with the buffer and some abrasive polish to bring them back. When they get real bad they need wetsanding, but those aren't that bad.

Congrats. She's a beauty. Just wish I'd of known you were selling your 95. I definitely would have forked out 3k since the timing belt broke on my wifes Acura Legend. I'm looking for a quick cheap replacement for a year or so.

Congrats on the new ride; although I will miss hearing about the '95; it was my talisman for how a high mileage LS can (and should) look.

I agree about Mystic Gold; there have been similar colors all the way back to the '90 and it basically looks like the LS was made for it. Very handsome; and the car looks like it's in great shape. It's found a good home!

It continues to amaze me how modern the first and second gen LS400s look; even today. They never look dated or old; especially compared to their peers. I especially like the solid rear window glass and the fancy way it rolls down.

Thanks JA!! I miss my 95; it was just a wonderful, tough old car. I drove it up to Dearborn, MI last summer, and there aren't many old cars I'd want to try that in. I look forward to seeing how far this '99 can go since we all know the non vvt-i 1uz-fe can do 300k-500k miles with no problem at all. I, too, am amazed that my almost 10 year old car still looks so new! B)

Blake! There is a tear in my beer! I guess I'll have to cancel the strippers for the 500k party :( .

Actually, congrats man! Although I must admit, I'm a bit suprised you bought another LS though, considering the interior space and such. I was thinking you'd be cruisin' in a caddy! But, nonetheless, you made an excellent decision! And now just think of all the stuff you learned on your old 95', can now be used on the new 99'. I bet you're really enjoying the additional HP and 5th gear!

LOL Sounds like you had a great party planned out! I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time that I bought another LS. The only other car that trips my trigger is the diesel W211 E class, but the used ones are still >$30k. Plus, I know what's going to go wrong with the LS since I've had a model that is pretty similar for 4+ years, and that is a HUGE benefit. I think my '99 is just a tiny, tiny bit more comfortable than my '95 since the leather is much, much, much softer, so I can sink down in to the seat a little more.
I am so jealous.

I recently took a job which required commuting, and I regretfully sold my dark green 2000 LS400 and bought a

2004 Mazda3. Hated the Mazda.

I searched, and came up with an immaculate, dealer maintained 2000 ES300.

I think its the same colour as your LS400 ... it sure looks better on the LS, I must say.

My Lexus dealer is taking in a 2000 black LS400 in October ... we may swap the ES back into the LS400.

Both cars are great, but I just feel that you can load up more miles on the LS.

Congrats on your car ... I've never seen the beige/gold in person, but it suits the LS.

Thanks! :cheers: That's too bad you had to get rid of your '00 LS, but it sounds like you will be back in one pretty soon!! B) I agree that the LS loves miles!
Like I told you in the email, congrats she's a beauty!

I don't know why the computer readout is green either, but you get used to it.

One thing I noticed, you have some yellowing of the headlights up at the top, from it sitting outside. This is really common with that generation LS, you see them all the time with headlights that are almost opaque. Hit them with the buffer and some abrasive polish to bring them back. When they get real bad they need wetsanding, but those aren't that bad.

I'm hoping to spend some time on the car today or tomorrow, and polishing the tops of the headlights is on the list! The green doesn't really bother me, plus if someone finds it too much, you can turn it off. Thanks Steve! :cheers:
Congrats. She's a beauty. Just wish I'd of known you were selling your 95. I definitely would have forked out 3k since the timing belt broke on my wifes Acura Legend. I'm looking for a quick cheap replacement for a year or so.
Thanks! :D Aww, I would have loved to have sold the car to a fellow club member. I had intentions of putting it in the buy and sell forum, but I just never thought that it was going to sell as quickly as it did. What's odd is that the guy who bought it bought it because his Honda had a blown tranny (he said $2,000+ in repairs) and decided to replace the car instead of repairing the Honda.

• 2 months later...
congrats, didnt know that youve got yourself a newer ls anyways enjoy
Thanks Gill! :cheers:
Next mod is to get that X50 hardwired and mounted up high!
Ed, I finally hardwired the X50, and wow, I can't believe I waited all these years to do it. It's a quick job too--took me 20-25 minutes. It looks 1M times better without the coiled cord dangling down to the ash tray....

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

Other little repairs I've done so far:

A new remote key. The buttons on the one that came with the car didn't work as well as they should, so I bought a new one from Sewell for $110. The new key looks so much better too.

IMG_2872.jpg

New xenon bulbs since the old ones (especially the passenger's side) were too purple and weren't putting out good light (the new ones certainly fixed both problems). I bought Philips 4300k bulbs off of ebay for $110+shipping.

Before:

IMG_1959.jpg

After:

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

I had to do a little electrical repair when I noticed my DRLs and one of my high beams were not working. One of the little spade connectors that connects the car's wiring harness to the headlamp assembly was broken, so I crimped a new one on since the Lexus dealer I spoke with couldn't find this particular part. Both lighting systems work as they should now.

Before:

IMG_3031.jpg

After:

IMG_3036.jpg

Hey Blake, I just noticed your windshield doesn't have a tint strip at the top...

Is it aftermarket?

The windshield on my 1992 LS, which is original (and due for replacement), does not appear to have any visible tint strip.

I have never looked on the other LS400s owned by my friends and family members to see if they have a tint strip, but after seeing that Blake's does not have one, I am guessing they probably do not. Perhaps this is a unique "feature" of the older LS cars.

Hopefully Blake will look at this thread later tonight and I'll find out if I am right or wrong.