30k Service, Missing A Couple Things

kade714

Lexus of Cerritos, 05 LX470, 30k service, about $ 461 + tax.

They seem to be missing the folowing from their service:

- re-packing front bearings

- lube driveshaft

What they did do:

- oil & filter

- air & a/c filter

- brake flush

- added engine & fuel conditioner

- rotates tires

- balanced front tires

- inspected brakes & tires

You can't beat the cost for a Lexus dealer, but should I insist they repack the front bearings? I don't off-road, but it is specified in the manual. If I do insist on this or anything else, how much more should I expect them to charge? I don't have the manual in front of me, but I thought there were more things that were supposed to be done at the 30k service.

Thanks guys

Lexus of Cerritos, 05 LX470, 30k service, about $ 461 + tax.

They seem to be missing the folowing from their service:

- re-packing front bearings

- lube driveshaft

What they did do:

- oil & filter

- air & a/c filter

- brake flush

- added engine & fuel conditioner

- rotates tires

- balanced front tires

- inspected brakes & tires

You can't beat the cost for a Lexus dealer, but should I insist they repack the front bearings? I don't off-road, but it is specified in the manual. If I do insist on this or anything else, how much more should I expect them to charge? I don't have the manual in front of me, but I thought there were more things that were supposed to be done at the 30k service.

Thanks guys

Front wheel bearing repack is a reasonably big job, about 4 hrs labor (virtually all labor). The only parts you need are two inner bearing oil seals (about $22/ea), two aluminum lock washers ($3 ea), two paper drive flange gaskets ($2 ea). You can buy the parts from the toyota dealer for less (specify a 2005 landcruiser). There is an inner and outer bearing. The inner bearing is on the inside of the hub. The rotor is also bolted to the hub. So to get to the bearing, one must remove the brake caliper, then remove the drive flange, axle nuts/lock washer, inner bearing (a needle bearing), and pull the rotor/hub unit off (comes off in 1 piece). The inner bearing is on the back side of this. You just pull out the old seal, remove bearing, regrease, reinstall bearing, drive in a new seal (they are made of brass & rubber, I think), reinstall and torque to spec. It's not a difficult job, but messy and time consuming. My dealer charges $350. If you buy the parts from your dealer and DIY, it's less than $60. My old 4runner uses the exact same design, even the same 54mm SST is used. Toyota has kept this design from at least 1980 or earlier through 2007 for the landcruiser. The bearings last a long time. The original Koyo bearings on my '86 are currently at 209K mi.

Since you only have 30K mi, I wouldn't repack it unless you've submerged the axles in water. The 30K recommendation in the manual is really for those who offroad all the time, like in Australia, Middle East, Africa. You should be able to go 50-60K mi before a repack driving on paved roads AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SUBMERGE THE AXLES!

The only item on your list that they performed that's unnecessary is the fuel conditioner if you use name-brand gas (chevron/shell). If you use cheapo gas, you might need it. One thing you should have done is to change the front/rear diff and transfer case fluids. The mineral-based gear oils typically last 30K mi. Switch to Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil and you can go 60K miles. I use the commercial grade Mobil 1 delvac 75w90 in both the diffs and transfer case (I buy it in bulk and use a pump, as I have two toyota 4WD vehicles). The driveshaft should be lubed like every 15K mi.