Lexus Wood And Leather Steering Wheel Revealed!

LexKid630

Couple of weeks ago surfing on eBay, stumbled across an 03 ES300 steering wheel, no bids with 10 minutes to go, only $35. I said what the heck, placed a bid for $100, ten minutes later auction ended, my bid being the only, so i got a steering wheel for $35 with $15 shipping- DEAL??!!

It came in today (UPS is AWFUL) and asked myself for the first time, why did i get it? Didn't really feel like re-selling it, so i decided to play with it. :pirate:

There have been so many rumors about the wood in a Lexus; is it real wood? ...I don't really know any others, but i decided to cut it up! I cut each stitch with a razor blade and pulled off the leather (seems to be glued to the body with 3M spray or something...). Underneath, lies a black "squishy" material that's attached to the metal frame of the wheel.

I remember a while ago, i asked a question on here... about an inch and a half down from where the leather meets the wood on the side pieces, some (but not all) wheels have sort of a "bulge"- no one really knew what it was from, until now! Under the leather of this section, there is a piece of what looks to be gray PVC pipe material that's sanded down (i can see the scratches) to be level with the surrounding "squishy" like material. I guess on some wheels, it's not sanded down enough, resulting in that "bulge"- see picture.

I then took the wheel to my band saw, did a few cross-sections of the wood and surrounding areas.

The wood is REAL! Real what seems to be cherry in this case, with a dark red stain. I am going to guess that the wood is "spray" stained (as opposed to rubbed" because even that black "squishy" material (under the leather) is coated with a very thin layer of red (that just peels off...). I used to think there was quite a thick layer of clearcoat over the wood, but it appears that the clearcoat is VERY thin by my cross sections.

The wood appears to be encasing a metal rod that goes all around the wheel, most likely for strength purposes (always wondered how the wood alone could be so strong).

I also made a few other cuts on the wheel, enjoy the pictures!

post-13420-1216607751_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607759_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607764_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607769_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607774_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607780_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607785_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607790_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607795_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607800_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607805_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607810_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607820_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607825_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607830_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216607836_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1216608032_thumb.jpg

Interesting!

It's always fun every now and then to just take some things apart..... in a way that you know you'll just have to throw it away when you're done dismantling it! B) hahaha

Interesting!

It's always fun every now and then to just take some things apart..... in a way that you know you'll just have to throw it away when you're done dismantling it! B) hahaha

Amusing project/time killer. A little like buying empty bottles of beer. My mother tells me that when I was a kid, there wasn't a toy she'd bought for me that I wouldn't have in pieces within 5 minutes. Then I'd be confused why there was nothing to play with. :huh:

Told ya it was real ;)

The clearcoat is much deeper on the LS wheel, you can tell the grain has a lot more depth when you look at it...

I honestly don't know how lexus makes the finish so smooth with such a thin layer on these ES wheels. i'm guessing they need to wet sand and polish the clear to get it as smooth as it is, how don't they go through??

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed this post..lol.. loved it.. first off I know what it is to be that bored..Living off shore on ships most of my life.. secondly very well done inspection.. I agree that has to be put in a file for now you know...lmao.. Thanks.. Next always wondered how far the umbrella holder in the door of a Bentley goes back..lol.. just incase you are bored again..J/k :lol:

I just noticed this post..lol.. loved it.. first off I know what it is to be that bored..Living off shore on ships most of my life.. secondly very well done inspection.. I agree that has to be put in a file for now you know...lmao.. Thanks.. Next always wondered how far the umbrella holder in the door of a Bentley goes back..lol.. just incase you are bored again..J/k :lol:

Haha, if i ever find a Bentley for $35 maybe i'll cut the doors apart and check for you :P

I don't think the model car Bentley's are that cheap LOL