The Continuing Vsc/trac Off Light Saga...

smyrnagc

A couple of weeks ago I posted that our 03 Rx 300's CEL/VSC/Trac Off light all of a sudden came on. The advice that I received here led me to Advance Auto to get the codes read...which I did. It showed that our gas cap was bad, which I replaced, and it also showed that there was either an O2 sensor problem or Mass Air Flow.

So...after replacing the gas cap the check engine light went off. One of the posters to the original thread said to check the tube under the air filter canister, that it could sometimes come off and set these codes off. Well...when I checked, sure enough it was off. I reconnected it but the VSC/Trac Off lights were still on. I cleaned the MAF Sensor and following the Haynes manual, removed the negative battery cable...cleaned the sensor...reconnected the cable (this should have cleared the codes).

I removed the EFI fuse for 20 seconds to clear the lights/codes...didn't work. So tonight I took it back to Adv Auto to get the codes read. Hooked up the machine and it read no codes...BUT THE VSC/TRAC OFF LIGHTS ARE STILL ON!!!

Now what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hal/Nashville

Somehow I missed your post and just posted a similar message. I can't figure out how to delete it.

Anyways, here is what happened to me and my thoughts...

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300. We had a problem where the check engine and VSC lights were turning on due to an emissions control problem. After researching it I found the problem to be the vacuum hose had come off of the air filter. I fixed the problem and cleared the code with an Actron CP9125 which worked great. However, after driving the car for a few feet the VSC light came back on. I took it to the dealer and they indicated that I had a malfunctioned Deacceleration sensor, $880 later it was fixed.

After a recent oil change the vacuum hose once again came loose and I cleared the code again. Once again the VSC light is now coming on after I drive the car a few feet. Has anyone heard of the Deacceleration Zero Point getting reset after clearing trouble codes? It would seem surprising that this could happen after a very common code reset.

I'm a bit troubled because the repair is still under warrantee and I could probably get it fixed. But I'd like to talk to the dealer and figure out if I caused the problem, but I don't want to get stuck paying for the reset. Especially because I'm now thinking that there was never a problem with the original sensor that was replaced and probably only the Zero point calibration was necessary.

I found a reset procedure at http://forum.launch-techs.com/post-14796.html but it is a bit complicated and I don't want to end up shorting something out. This refers to service bulletin procedure BR001-04.

Thanks

Somehow I missed your post and just posted a similar message. I can't figure out how to delete it.

Anyways, here is what happened to me and my thoughts...

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300. We had a problem where the check engine and VSC lights were turning on due to an emissions control problem. After researching it I found the problem to be the vacuum hose had come off of the air filter. I fixed the problem and cleared the code with an Actron CP9125 which worked great. However, after driving the car for a few feet the VSC light came back on. I took it to the dealer and they indicated that I had a malfunctioned Deacceleration sensor, $880 later it was fixed.

After a recent oil change the vacuum hose once again came loose and I cleared the code again. Once again the VSC light is now coming on after I drive the car a few feet. Has anyone heard of the Deacceleration Zero Point getting reset after clearing trouble codes? It would seem surprising that this could happen after a very common code reset.

I'm a bit troubled because the repair is still under warrantee and I could probably get it fixed. But I'd like to talk to the dealer and figure out if I caused the problem, but I don't want to get stuck paying for the reset. Especially because I'm now thinking that there was never a problem with the original sensor that was replaced and probably only the Zero point calibration was necessary.

I found a reset procedure at http://forum.launch-techs.com/post-14796.html but it is a bit complicated and I don't want to end up shorting something out. This refers to service bulletin procedure BR001-04.

Thanks

This is the first I have heard of this problem on a RX. Leave it to Lexus to charge $880. when all that's rerquired is a zero point calibration. Just like charging $5K for a rebuilt trans when all that's required is sensor cleaning. If you search through the various Highlander forums you will see that this is a much more common problem on the Highlander and some of the other Toyota products. The scenario is always the same. You get a CEL due a valid failure and code. Once it is fixed and faults cleared the VSC light comes back on. I don't know why but this is very common after the evap hose becomes disconnected behind the air box. Here is a link to a Toyota bulletin with directions to do the zero point calibration.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachment.php?postid=223187

Well...Why couldn't she have just settled for a Ford SUV!!!

This is crazy...There are no codes being read for any problems; The vacuum hose was off on the air filter canister and now I have a VSC/Trac Off indicator light on that will not go off.

I had a hard time understanding the diagram but I think I see...take a "jumper" to two of the prongs of the connector where you plug in to retrieve the codes and go through the process mentioned in the Highlander forum? If this is correct, are the 4 and 13 prongs the correct ones for the Lexus RX 300?

Also, what kind of jumper, can I make one or where do I get one?

Just out of curiosity, what would the Lexus dealer tell me (or charge me) to clear the VSC/Trac Off light?

Thanks for all you help with this guys...I am on a quest.

Hal

I got this same problem this weekend. I have an 01 rx 300. The trac off / vsc (?) CEL came on all together.

I have done some research and I went to Advanced auto parts. I got the code checked for free. It was the front sensor. I got on oxygensensors.com and ordered one. It was $150 shipped. I am told to make sure I put wd-40 on the bolt to avoid stripping. It is fairly easy to get to. I alos inspected all hoses and I did notice the air filter was dirty. The thing is that these sensors dont last but 100k miles. It appears to be a quick DIY 20 minute job.

To reset the lights. I am told to unplug the power to the batter/ some said the negative for 1/2 hour. Without the key in the ignition. If lights still on take it to your local auto parts to get the codes read. They will actually turn the codes off when doing this. Please correct me anywhere I am wrong.

My code was p1155.

This is crazy...There are no codes being read for any problems; The vacuum hose was off on the air filter canister and now I have a VSC/Trac Off indicator light on that will not go off.

I had a hard time understanding the diagram but I think I see...take a "jumper" to two of the prongs of the connector where you plug in to retrieve the codes and go through the process mentioned in the Highlander forum? If this is correct, are the 4 and 13 prongs the correct ones for the Lexus RX 300?

Just out of curiosity, what would the Lexus dealer tell me (or charge me) to clear the VSC/Trac Off light?

Hal

You actually do have a code (most likely 39) but is is a VSC code and can't be read with a standard scanner. You need the Lexus/Toyota tester or use the procedure. It's pins 4 and 14 you want to use to do zero point calibration according to the bulletin. It's pins 4 and 13 you want to use to read the code according to the post. I wouldn't even worry about reading the code. Just do the calibration and I bet the problem goes away. The pins are in the same position in both the forum procedure and the TSB. Only problem is the images are 180 degrees out. Use the shape of the connector to reference the correct pins. It takes nothing special to short out the pins. A short piece of wire, even a paper clip will do.

The TSB is for a 2003 4 Runner but it does tell you how to read date codes on the VSC computer label and determine if you have a bad one. A bad one meaning that if your evap hose comes off, you will be stuck with a VSC light after you correct the problem. Looks like Toyota offered computer replacement under warranty. I suspect some of thses VSC computers found there way over to the RX. Checking your date code will tell. Short term fix is to do a zero point calibration and be prepared to do it again if you have evap hose/gas cap codes in the future. Long term fix is to replace the computer. I would hate to think of what Lexus charges for that.

• Like 1

HALELUJAH!!!

I can't believe I got it! I basically did exactly what mikey00 said in the previous post and followed the Toyoto Service Bulletin at this link http://forum.launch-techs.com/post-14796.html and it cleared the lights back to normal. I used a paperclip to insert into the holes for the two ports and followed the instructions on page 7-8 of the TSB and it worked perfectly...thanks mikey00!

SO...In summary. The CEL/VSC/Trac Off lights came on due to a bad gas cap and the vacuum hose being off of the air filter canister. When I got a new gas cap ($9.00) the CEL went out but when I reattched the vacuum hose the VSC/Trac Off lights did not clear even thought the Advance Auto computer read no codes. By doing the recalibration contained in the instructions I was able to clear the lights.

THANKS TO ALL OF THE HELP AND RECOMMENDATIONS I RECEIVED ON THIS TOPIC. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHAT THE NASHVILLE LEXUS DEALER WOULD HAVE CHARGED ME TO FIX THIS RELITIVELY (ridiculous in my opinion) PROBLEM.

Hal

VSC Fixed!!! :) :) :)

I just followed the procedure on my 2003 RX 300 and it worked perfectly. I used pins 4 and 14 and was careful because the connector is upside down. I was a little nervous about hitting the wrong pin in the haste to follow the procedure so I went the geek route. I took a momentary pushbutton switch and attached it to some wire with the paperclip wires on the end. It worked perfectly the first time and I'm sure I'll be using this again in the future. Thank you everyone for the posts. I wish I had this last year before I spent the $880 at Lexus. I still have the part they took out I'd love to get it tested to see if it's actually broken.

I included a diagram of the connector and my button.

In order to fix the vacuum hose problem I went to AutoZone and got a longer hose. I can now open the air filter canister without it coming off. It cost me about $3.

Thanks again!!!

Todd

post-75833-1216695978_thumb.jpg

post-75833-1216696963_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gone are the most annoying VSC and TracOff lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone on this thread for the suggestions to the problem that nagged me for couple of weeks.

After trying many different things, following the direction to resetting or zeroing the yaw worked and it was so easy!!!

I cannot thank enough!!!!!

Cy

• 10 months later...
VSC Fixed!!! :) :) :)

I just followed the procedure on my 2003 RX 300 and it worked perfectly. I used pins 4 and 14 and was careful because the connector is upside down. I was a little nervous about hitting the wrong pin in the haste to follow the procedure so I went the geek route. I took a momentary pushbutton switch and attached it to some wire with the paperclip wires on the end. It worked perfectly the first time and I'm sure I'll be using this again in the future. Thank you everyone for the posts. I wish I had this last year before I spent the $880 at Lexus. I still have the part they took out I'd love to get it tested to see if it's actually broken.

I included a diagram of the connector and my button.

In order to fix the vacuum hose problem I went to AutoZone and got a longer hose. I can now open the air filter canister without it coming off. It cost me about $3.

Thanks again!!!

Todd

Please, show me where does the VSC connector on the Rx300 ?

Thank you very much.

or email for me mchi99us@yahoo.com

Please...

• 8 months later...

We have a 2003 Lexus RX300 with about 100,000 miles. The timing belt and plugs were replaced recently by our local Toyota dealer since the nearest Lexus dealership is about 1.5 hours driving distance. Shortly afterward, the Check Engine light, VSC and TRAC Off lights came on. I had two parts dealerships check the codes which were PO441, PO442, and PO466. I read the posts on these, discovered the fuel cap was loose and tightened it. The lights stayed on for several days, and I disconnected the battery cable for one minute and replaced it. The Check Engine light went away, but the VSC and TRAC Off lights always return as soon as the vehicle is moved in drive or reverse. I took it to our Toyota dealer to check for a loose hose which they might have caused. They found nothing out or order and connected it to their computer, but found no readout problems, possibly since the Check Engine light was off. They attempted to recalibrate the computer, feeling that this would correct it, but it would not take their command. They recommended having the Lexus dealership recalibrate it since their Toyota Highlander commands may differ and offered to have their mechanic talk with the Lexus service office.

I called the Lexus service office and explained this. They said they do not talk with anyone and will have to check it with their computer. The cost will be $100 to $200. I said it’s doubtful that their computer will show anything and asked if they could simply recalibrate it. They said that something has to be wrong with the vehicle if the lights are on and they must diagnose it.

I’m willing to try the recalibrate procedure, but when I attempt to access the URLs shown in this post, my computer’s antiviral software advises they are reported attack pages. Perhaps there is a safe guide page to accomplish the calibration procedure.

Another option is to have a local mechanic check for a loose hose, replace the gas cap with a new one, replace the PCV valve, and begin diagnosing the EVAP canister.

What is most reasonable to do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2003 ES300, can I use the same pins to reset the vsc/trac off system? Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer? I have the exact same issue on 2002 ES 300. I was having unrelated shift problem that turned out to be a broken part inside the gear housing. In tryin to diagnose that, I had parts store run the codes, which showed nothing wrong. But immediately after they disconnected the OBD-II code reader the VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on and have stayed on. I want to try the "jump" fix but am not sure it is the same pins on the ES 300...did you ever find out?

Hi everyone. I need help. I have a 99 RX300. The Track Off and CEL lights are on. Sometimes the lights go off, sometimes just the CEL comes on, but usually it's both. Now, if I start the car and the lights come on, the transmission will not shift beyond 60mph. The RPM revs at 4,000. If I'm driving 60mps(ish) and the warning lights come on then I don't have any issues with the transmission.

Went to AutoZone for code readout and got P0330 - Knock Sensors.

Called Lexus and got: Knock Sensors +labor $1150, Wire Harness/Gaskets $150, Platinum Spark Plugs $275. UGH!

Tried looking at the air filter but didn't see any hose at all. Don't laugh, but should I see this from under the car? Because I only looked around from under the hood - while on my lunchbreak.

How do I know if the Knock Sensors are truly bad, or if there's a kink in the computer?

• 3 months later...

Got a 2002 ES 300 and I had the same problem. I fixed the thing by doing the thing in Falcon's's post here on this forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-warranty-issues/32818-one-cause-fix-vsc-trac-vsc-off-lights-zero-point-calibration.html

All you need is a jumper wire and flashlight. Be sure to connect the right terminals and follow the procedure as explained. Make sure the car is on level ground and steady.

I have a 2003 ES300, can I use the same pins to reset the vsc/trac off system? Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer? I have the exact same issue on 2002 ES 300. I was having unrelated shift problem that turned out to be a broken part inside the gear housing. In tryin to diagnose that, I had parts store run the codes, which showed nothing wrong. But immediately after they disconnected the OBD-II code reader the VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on and have stayed on. I want to try the "jump" fix but am not sure it is the same pins on the ES 300...did you ever find out?

Yes, it is the same pins for ES 300. I just did it to my car. Took me a while to replace the O2 sensor which was causing the Check Engine light to turn on.

• 3 months later...

My sincerest thanks to you all for providing the solution to the VSC light. My wife’s 2003 RX300 VSC/CEL came on, the error code indicated it was the rear manifold sensor, but I tried the front (easy) one with an original Toyota replacement first. It didn’t correct the problem so I approached (swapping out the front one with the original and using the new one for) the firewall sensor forewarned with the difficulties I would encounter, thanks to this site. I pre-sprayed the old sensor with a popular metal lubricant and tried to loosen it with a cheap O2 Sensor socket (the only one they sold) I bought at the local automotive store, but it just flexed and popped-off when I applied pressure. It actually stripped the sensor a bit so I stopped after about five tries. I bought a Mac O2 socket off eBay, hit the old sensor twice with some Liquid Wrench this time and decided to attack it again this weekend.

This morning at 2:00AM I woke up thinking about replacing the sensor, couldn’t fall back asleep, so I went at it. I sprayed it once more with Liquid Wrench and the new socket freed it with little drama. After wrestling with the connector for a while I was able to install the new sensor, take it for a ride (not much traffic at that time of the morning) and it worked like a champ! Except that is for the pesky VSC light. There was no error code but that hummer just kept coming back on. OK, now its 3:15AM, I am back on this site hoping to find a VSC light solution and thank God, there it is! I was too tired to try it then, so I went back to sleep, but as soon as I woke up this morning I followed Mikey00’s instructions and success! The VSC light is now staying off as it should. I truly can’t thank you guys enough for sharing your knowledge and allowing folks like me to avoid paying unnecessary large sums to the local dealer for something so simple…

• 6 months later...

Hi

I just got my VSC / CEL light this weekend. Now that I read through the posts, I know my first step will be to get the codes and go from there, but looks like common issue is the gas cap, vacuum hose disconnected, or oxygen filter.

All of these are under the hood activities.

However - I have another factor in the mix. Has anyone had these issues supplemented with the car start making noise as if the muffler has a problem, that racing car sound. AND a certain pipe / hose disconnected under the car, in the vicinity of exhaust system. I wasn't able to find too many labeled diagrams yet but the disconnected hose hangs 6 or so inches under the car, right under the driver seat area. the end of it was connected with two screw looking like connectors. The 3 events came within a couple of hours while i was driving:

1) i started to hear the car growling (but knowing i've been having issues with the exhaust / muffler that my dad patched up a couple of times, i ruled out out to yet again having to patch it up)

2) the VSC and Engine lights went on, at which point i pulled over, and after reading on definition of the lights decided to visually unspect the underbelly and saw #3 - the disconnected hose.

Thank you for any help you can give on this. I'm learning to DIY :)

I've been looking for a good diagram of the "underbelly" of Lexus RX300, so I can at least know what parts are what there. If anyone come across anything useful - please share.

• 3 months later...

Got a 2002 ES 300 and I had the same problem. I fixed the thing by doing the thing in Falcon's's post here on this forum:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-warranty-issues/32818-one-cause-fix-vsc-trac-vsc-off-lights-zero-point-calibration.html

All you need is a jumper wire and flashlight. Be sure to connect the right terminals and follow the procedure as explained. Make sure the car is on level ground and steady.

+1

I just performed this on my 2002 Lexus SC 430 following an O2 sensor replacement. VSC and VSC OFF lights kept coming on after moving the car, shop (non-lexus) that did the O2 sensor replacement had no idea what to do about it and said I'd have to go to a dealer. I did my research, found this thread and used a paperclip to perform the reset in about 30 seconds. THANK YOU!!

FYI, I only performed the final step of the procedure (short pints 4 and 14 with a paperclip, key on for 5-10 second watching for the fast-blinky vsc light, key off, paperclip remove).

• 2 weeks later...

Hal

To "read" any non-EPA mandated emissions codes you must jumper 2 pins on the OBDII connector and watch the flashing of the "failure" indicator to discern the code.

• 2 months later...

We have a 2003 Lexus RX300 with about 100,000 miles. The timing belt and plugs were replaced recently by our local Toyota dealer since the nearest Lexus dealership is about 1.5 hours driving distance. Shortly afterward, the Check Engine light, VSC and TRAC Off lights came on. I had two parts dealerships check the codes which were PO441, PO442, and PO466. I read the posts on these, discovered the fuel cap was loose and tightened it. The lights stayed on for several days, and I disconnected the battery cable for one minute and replaced it. The Check Engine light went away, but the VSC and TRAC Off lights always return as soon as the vehicle is moved in drive or reverse. I took it to our Toyota dealer to check for a loose hose which they might have caused. They found nothing out or order and connected it to their computer, but found no readout problems, possibly since the Check Engine light was off. They attempted to recalibrate the computer, feeling that this would correct it, but it would not take their command. They recommended having the Lexus dealership recalibrate it since their Toyota Highlander commands may differ and offered to have their mechanic talk with the Lexus service office.

I called the Lexus service office and explained this. They said they do not talk with anyone and will have to check it with their computer. The cost will be $100 to $200. I said it's doubtful that their computer will show anything and asked if they could simply recalibrate it. They said that something has to be wrong with the vehicle if the lights are on and they must diagnose it.

I'm willing to try the recalibrate procedure, but when I attempt to access the URLs shown in this post, my computer's antiviral software advises they are reported attack pages. Perhaps there is a safe guide page to accomplish the calibration procedure.

Another option is to have a local mechanic check for a loose hose, replace the gas cap with a new one, replace the PCV valve, and begin diagnosing the EVAP canister.

What is most reasonable to do?

Dont know if you got this fixed but I had the same issue. I did an internet search on service bulletin procedure BR001-04.

it tells you how to do the reset with and without a tester. The pin #s are 4 and 14. I did this today without the tester on my es 300 and it worked like magic! Thanks to all that

• 5 months later...

Hi All, glad found this forum. We have a 2003 RX300, one day the CEL and VSC came on. We checked the OBDII code and it was a bad Oxygen sensor. I replaced the sensor and sure enough the CEL went off. The only light remaining on is the VSC. I tried the Toyota Procedure to do a Zero point calibration using pins 4 (CG) and 14 (Ts) in the procedure found in http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attach...-dtc-c1203.pdf

It seems everything is fine till I get to point 11 on that procedure. Instead of the VSC light blinking, I get the ABS light blinking. And as soon as i start driving the car the VSC light comes on again.

One more clarification just to make sure Im doing this right. In step 9, I short the pins and they remain shorted right?

Also I read somewhere that it may actually be TC pin that needs jumping not TS. Any truth to that?

Thnaks I much appreciate any feedback