Moonroof Question, Ls430

Ears

I have looked at every page of the voluminous manual(s) that came with my recently purchased 2004 LS 430 to determine if the moonroof opens (pops up) if the interior gets too hot. A couple of times this past week, my wife exited her office, headed for lunch, to find the moonroof open (fully tilted, not slid back) on her car. She closed it and it was found opened (fully tilted/popped up) again on a another day. It seems the moonroof opens if the interior gets to a certain threshold temperature, as it has not happened ever in the garage, or on any day before this past week (several days in the high 90's and no shade available for her to park this past week).m I should mention the shade was closed, which would seem to defeat any posible ventilation.

I am aware of the windows/moonroof opening function upon holding the unlock button on the fob (windows down, moonroof slides back), but this is not what is happening to her car as the windows are up, and the moonroof is tilted open.

If this is an automatic function to help moderate the interior temperature, then will the moonroof close if a rain should occur (think pop-up sudden thunder shower)? I recall the bimmer was equipped with a closing mechanism in case of rain...

Thanks...

I have looked at every page of the voluminous manual(s) that came with my recently purchased 2004 LS 430 to determine if the moonroof opens (pops up) if the interior gets too hot. A couple of times this past week, my wife exited her office, headed for lunch, to find the moonroof open (fully tilted, not slid back) on her car. She closed it and it was found opened (fully tilted/popped up) again on a another day. It seems the moonroof opens if the interior gets to a certain threshold temperature, as it has not happened ever in the garage, or on any day before this past week (several days in the high 90's and no shade available for her to park this past week).m I should mention the shade was closed, which would seem to defeat any posible ventilation.

I am aware of the windows/moonroof opening function upon holding the unlock button on the fob (windows down, moonroof slides back), but this is not what is happening to her car as the windows are up, and the moonroof is tilted open.

If this is an automatic function to help moderate the interior temperature, then will the moonroof close if a rain should occur (think pop-up sudden thunder shower)? I recall the bimmer was equipped with a closing mechanism in case of rain...

Thanks...

I have a 2004 LS 430 and live in Atlanta where it gets nice and warm- this has never happened to me. I've only had my car about 2 months, so just getting used to it, so I'll be interested to see what the gurus think of this.

I would tend to agrree with RF. It would compromise the security system and would have to detect/open the shade at the same time for it to make any sense. You most likely have a short that might be activated by the heat. Check switches, relays, fuses, wiring.

Good thinking jc, but unless it's not working, she should have heard the reminder if it was left open.

I think that Lexus did away with the warning chime for the sunroof left open, in the '93 LS, so the LS in question wouldn't have that feature.

Good thinking jc, but unless it's not working, she should have heard the reminder if it was left open.

I think that Lexus did away with the warning chime for the sunroof left open, in the '93 LS, so the LS in question wouldn't have that feature.

My bad. Guess you have to talk to the wife.

My guess would be that she had it open and didn't close it when she got out. You definately don't want this happening on a hot day that then rains.

I'm glad my 91 has the warning chime. Saved my butt one time when I went shopping. It was cloudy when I parked. The warning for the roof came on, so I closed it. When I came out after shopping, it was pouring and blowing. Would have flooded the interior for sure. Don't know why they would have done away with this feature? If I leave the roof open, it only chimes for maybe 5 sec or less, not enough to become an irritant.

No, my '01 has the warning chime and also will display 'Moonroof Open' in the dash display if you open the drivers door with it left open.

Could be that the personal options menu has been tinkered with & when she is 'unlocking' the car with the remote she may be holding the unlock button down long enough for the sunroof to open. The options can be set for various openings of windows and/or moonroof.

I have never heard of a moon roof just popping open by itself for no reason..

I would first suspect maybe a press on the keyfob that opened it. Or just forgetting to put it down. It happens to the best of us especially when your schedule is really hectic or stressful!

My guess would be that she had it open and didn't close it when she got out. You definately don't want this happening on a hot day that then rains.

I'm glad my 91 has the warning chime. Saved my butt one time when I went shopping. It was cloudy when I parked. The warning for the roof came on, so I closed it. When I came out after shopping, it was pouring and blowing. Would have flooded the interior for sure. Don't know why they would have done away with this feature? If I leave the roof open, it only chimes for maybe 5 sec or less, not enough to become an irritant.

I don't know why they did away with it either, I think that is a very smart useful feature. Although, 01 Ultra said his has it, so maybe I'm incorrect, oops.