Rx300 Headlight Hid Conversion

raybaka

hello all, i am a newbie here. i just got a 2000 rx300, and i was hoping to upgrade the current halogen headlight into an hid version. i'm not quite sure where i can get a good one, so i was hoping to find some advice here. so far, i've come up with a couple of options by looking through yahoo. i was hoping that i could get some input, thanks for your time.

http://www.lexusautobodypartstore.com/cgi-...1001039903.html

- this item only costs $274.18, and it comes with the whole headlamp piece. however, it sounds a bit too good to be true... i mean, for $274.18, it comes with the headlamp casing, the hid light system, and it looks like it's pretty much plug and play. am i missing something?

http://www.autosportz.com/lighting_mcculla...tion_lights.htm

- this however, looks to be more authentic. the pricing is $549.99, but it's a conversion kit. so i'm assuming i have to take everything out of the casing and stick this one in, seems a bit more complicated. but it looks to be realistic...

thanks for reading up on my post guys. i'd really appreciate it if any of you have aleady had your headlights converted into hid and would give me some advice.

ray

I got a question

since i have 2001, the headlights have chrome outer ring...

does it make the lights whiter?

It's kind of weird, my lights are really white, it's almost like silverstar bulbs, but it's stock.

While i don't get the bluish glare from bmw and such HID lights, mine is so much whiter than other cars with stock lights

How do i know if i do have HID?

wing0,

i think after 2001, the rx300's started to come with hid headlights as standard. i read that somewhere on the web. the reason it doesnt look like a bmw's hid is because the beamers have a specific purple tint to it from certain angles. all lexus hid's look nothing like a beamers or a benz's. i'm quite sure you have hid.

ray

wing0,

i think after 2001, the rx300's started to come with hid headlights as standard. i read that somewhere on the web. the reason it doesnt look like a bmw's hid is because the beamers have a specific purple tint to it from certain angles. all lexus hid's look nothing like a beamers or a benz's. i'm quite sure you have hid.

ray

i didn't think it came standard tho...

i thought they start having the HID as an option.

I was looking thru the manual when we got it and there's a little symbol on the cluster that should light up when i start the car, i think it's the leveling system. That symbol never comes up, unless it's supposed to come up when there's a problem.

If u look at the IS300, its HID light looks a lot brighter and broader than the RX300. If somebody can take a picture of their headlights and they know for sure they have HID, that'd be great. I can use it as a comparison.

This is the pic from the 2001 catalogue, i've read it over, no mention of HID.

lexuslight.jpg

Compared to IS300

is300light.jpg

The germans use a projector with a lens cut off or angle of the projector to creaet a blueish hue on the edges like diamonds do.

The kits are all the same only difference is the generation of phillips ballasts and K valuie of the bulb which is its colour.

Do not get a rebased kit which has to be modified but a simple install one which has the phillips patented 9005 and so one bases.

Phillips owns the technology for all ballasts and bulbs as well as the bases. So other companies have to buy them from phillips and relabel them ,unless it is a rebase.

I recently installed a HID conversion kit into my 2000 RX300. I spent about 2 months researching the different methods to do it. First off STAY AWAY FROM MCCULLOCH! DO NOT BUY THAT KIT!!!!!. Here are the three methods to add HID to your RX300.

1) OEM conversion using RX300 HID headlamps, bulbs, ballasts, etc. This may cost the most since getting this stuff, even on ebay, is costly. Besides, the OEM RX300 HID isn't that great anyway. And the autoleveling won't work

2) HID conversion kit using rebased 9006 bulbs, Philips ballasts. This is a plug and play solution that costs the least and is the easiest to do. Simply install a HID bulb that has the 9006 base into your existing headlamps, connect them to the ballast, connect the ballst to your battery and to the stock headlamp connector and your done. Takes about a half hour and the results are good. About as good as the OEM HID's. Just be sure to aim the headlamps when your done to reduce glare for oncoming drivers. You don't want them to get blinded and hit you head on now do you?

3) HID Projector retrofit. This is about as costly as installing OEM components, but will give the best overall results. It entails modifying your stock headlamps by retrofitting a HID projector assembly into them. You can do it yourself (I didn't have the guts to try) or send them out to someone who does this type of work (more money). If money isn't an issue then this is the way to go.

One word of caution. No matter what. Only go with Philips bulbs and ballasts (unless of course you go with OEM parts). NO IMITATIONS! They won't last and will cost you more in the long run. Here are a few places to get HID conversion kits

HID-online.com - very reputable seller. This is where I got my kit from. They sell only Philips bulbs and ballasts and their service is excellent

Xenondepot.com - also sells Philips bulbs and ballasts. I didn't buy from them, but their communication was also very good prior to any sale

jus4bulbs@yahoo.com - Send him an email. This guy came recommended from people over at another forum and I did buy a kit from him too to install in my girlfriends car. Sells kits with Philips bulbs and ballasts. Very good communications prior to and after the sale.

If you decide to go with a HID projector retrofit then here are some places that do this type of work.

Jason at discount cycle. discountcycle@ureach.com - send him an email. He comes highly regarded for his customer service. He quoted me $700 for parts and labor.

hidtech.com - Others at another forum have recommended them. They do respond quickly to questions by email.

I'll post some pics of my install.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

I have SPW's HID Kit on my SC and LS. They looks great.

SPWusa.com--There Website isn't up, but my HIDs look like this. The High beam section has a LED Ring-that's why it's glowing.

IM000323a.sized.jpg

Raybaka:

If you live in SoCal, there is a company that can actually convert your Rx's Halogens to Street Legal HIDs.

Their Link is

ClearCorners

They can also add LEDs to your tail lights, sidemarkers and blah, blah.

WARNING: They are expensive, but can be worth it if you want Street Legal.

• 1 month later...
I have SPW's HID Kit on my SC and LS. They looks great.

SPWusa.com--There Website isn't up, but my HIDs look like this. The High beam section has a LED Ring-that's why it's glowing.

IM000323a.sized.jpg

Raybaka:

If you live in SoCal, there is a company that can actually convert your Rx's Halogens to Street Legal HIDs.

Their Link is

ClearCorners

They can also add LEDs to your tail lights, sidemarkers and blah, blah.

WARNING: They are expensive, but can be worth it if you want Street Legal.

Are you sure Clear Corners can do an RX?

They don't list that as a choice on their webpage.

Also, do you have any personal experience with them?

I really want to do this conversion to my RX. After driving my S2K and my wife's IS, the halogen bulbs in the RX really don't cut the mustard.

i just emailed clear corner about applications for the RX...i'll post their reply

please do.

i emailed them a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

ok, my reply from clearcorner:

We dont offer anything for the RX300 headlamps. We MAY be able to

custom fabricate something for the tail lights. However, the build

construction for the RX300 tail lights is all injection molded and 1-piece, so

disassembly will be very labor intensive. LED retrofit will also add

to the cost of the tail light. If you are serious and have a spare set of

tail lights, we can assist. Please leave your contact info if you are

interested and I will call you to discuss this project in greater detail.

...looks like we may be outta luck for something pre-made...

i just emailed clear corner about applications for the RX...i'll post their reply

please do.

i emailed them a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

ok, my reply from clearcorner:

We dont offer anything for the RX300 headlamps. We MAY be able to

custom fabricate something for the tail lights. However, the build

construction for the RX300 tail lights is all injection molded and 1-piece, so

disassembly will be very labor intensive. LED retrofit will also add

to the cost of the tail light. If you are serious and have a spare set of

tail lights, we can assist. Please leave your contact info if you are

interested and I will call you to discuss this project in greater detail.

...looks like we may be outta luck for something pre-made...

i've been doing alot of research on the rx300 and adding hid bulbs... the best (cost efficient) solution would be just buying the phillips hid kit and installing it yourself i guess. however, i'm a klutz when it comes to electronic components, so i guess i'll buy the kit online and bring it over to al & ed's or some other aftermarket car place and pay them to install it. safest thing to do would obviously be bringing it back to the lexus dealership and have them install the stock hid lights, but that'll cost upwards of $1.5k i'm guessing. if any of you guys find anymore viable solutions, please do tell.

ray

• 1 year later...

Hey I also have a question about HID conversion.

Is it possible to use the OEM philips d2s bulb for projector

housing for the reflector housing in the '99 or '00 RX?

I think that the reflector housing for '01, '02, etc. is designed

for the d2r bulb and the '99, '00 is designed for the 9006

halogen...

I currently have Hella ballasts with some cheapo bulb (9006)

that emits too much blue and too little light.

Thanks!