Help! Why Won't These Bolts Go Back In?

ED.

I unbolted this a bit ot move it so I could try and clean up the mess in there but now they won't go back in.

I put these 10mm bolts in and they spin. There is nothing to hold them in place so I wonder how they were held in place originally? There is some blue stuff on the bolts going 1/2 way up the thread.

What have I done now!

DSC00553.jpg

UPDATE:

While waiting for that pic to load I realized that bolt contains a self-locking washer and then a regular washer under it. D'oh. I guess I need to get some 10mm bolts and self-locking washers now!

Phew. At least it was self-locking washers and not something more $$!

I was able to patch it with a few of my BMW clip things. Tonight I am going by Lowes to see what they have but more than likely I'll have to go to ACE. They have a lot better selection of metric stuff.

I lost my damn 10mm wrench which stinks. That thing went down to the land of the lost. I'd have to take the whold center console out to get it. It is basically it, that carpet piece between the console and pass seat, the free world. I guess I'll add 10 mm wrench to my list of items at the store. Sniffle.

Phew. At least it was self-locking washers and not something more $$!

I was able to patch it with a few of my BMW clip things. Tonight I am going by Lowes to see what they have but more than likely I'll have to go to ACE. They have a lot better selection of metric stuff.

I lost my damn 10mm wrench which stinks. That thing went down to the land of the lost. I'd have to take the whold center console out to get it. It is basically it, that carpet piece between the console and pass seat, the free world. I guess I'll add 10 mm wrench to my list of items at the store. Sniffle.

I hope that 10mm is sitting on something padded or is wedged tight. It's going to rattle like hell if it's sitting on sheet metal. I'd fish a magnet down in there and see if I couldn't retrieve it, or bend a wire and try to hook the box end. Good luck!

Ha. Me too! I am thinking it is down in the carpet side. I mean it fell like it wanted to go down there.

Sad news I bought a new 10mm and some lock washers but nada. How were those old ones held in there! My BMW things hold it just fine but I would prefer to have bolts in there just in case.

There is a blue glue (what I am guessing) on the old 10mm bolt going up the threads. What was that from?

Anyone have a manual for the shifter area? I am lost completely!