Traction Control Light

Hi all. I turned my car on today and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and TRACTION CONTROL OFF LIGHT comes on and stays lit.

Anyone ever have this problem or hear about it? Do I need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed?

I do hear a slight sound that I've never heard before.

Opinions and is this a big deal?

Thank you for your input in trying to help me. I appreciate it.

KC

Hi all. I turned my car on today and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and TRACTION CONTROL OFF LIGHT comes on and stays lit.

Anyone ever have this problem or hear about it? Do I need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed?

Opinions and is this a big deal?

KC

I don't intend this to sound sarcastic, but have you read your owners manual? When the CEL and the TRAC light are on together, that is the ECU telling you that the car is in "safe mode". Now any number of trouble codes will set off this warning illumination. It could be anything as simple as the gas cap not being screwed on properly to something more involved like an emissions sensor detecting to much or too little fuel in the exhuast.

The easiest thing to do is to stop by your local AutoZone and ask them to pull the trouble code(s). Write them down and then post them up here. We can't help you until we know what trouble codes are being triggered.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...

Opinions and is this a big deal? BTW, I told my husband I'd put out some broken-down boxes in the driveway tomorrow, and when he gets home, he can drive over them. I want to SEE if it is really leaking! :)

KC

I don't intend this to sound sarcastic, but have you read your owners manual? When the CEL and the TRAC light are on together, that is the ECU telling you that the car is in "safe mode". Now any number of trouble codes will set off this warning illumination. It could be anything as simple as the gas cap not being screwed on properly to something more involved like an emissions sensor detecting to much or too little fuel in the exhuast.

The easiest thing to do is to stop by your local AutoZone and ask them to pull the trouble code(s). Write them down and then post them up here. We can't help you until we know what trouble codes are being triggered.

steviej

Okay, I have the same problem. 98 Lexus ES300. Codes are: P0136 and P0440. I read a ton of posts relating to these, and am now thoroughly confused. I've read about the Oxygen Sensors, and possibly catalytic converter problem. I guess only a mechanic can tell me right?

I am looking at having to spend $2100 to rebuild the transmission on my 97 Rav4... as I was hesitating on the price, my mechanic said, "Remember, you have some substantial probems with the Lexus." Whhaaattt?

He said he noticed them last week when he changed the oil. He said if he remembers right, there were several oil leaks [there is NO oil on our driveway at all!!!] and he also said he thinks the master cylinder may be leaking. [???] Told us he'd put it on the computer and see. We went today, and he was gone. The guy there said he would run the codes. He did and that's where we got the 2 listed above. HOWEVER, he also gave my husband a bill for $80. apparently if we don't get it fixed there, we have to pay the $80.

I was hoping someone might give me an idea of a typical scenerio with these codes, or is it just too general? I read about the sensors. And I went to the link found in one of the posts. [COOL] At least I know now that the sensors cost from about $50 [universal] to $100. But do you usually have to replace all of them? And is that 4? Sighhhhhhhh.

BTW, it has 130,000 miles, and we have had virtually nothing go wrong with the car. We had some issues with the CD Changer many years ago. Entire unit replaced twice by Lexus and that's been fine ever since. The only problems we have had are the current ones: check engine light/Trac off light and the fuel door spring breaking. None have been fixed. Oh, the only other problem is that BOTH seats get too hot when we activate the heaters. Fast, too! I didn't even ASK about that! Been a great car. Wonder if wwe are going to get hit all at once now with a huge bill.

Thanks for any insight................. And BTW, I wouldn't go to the Memphis Lexus Dealer if my life depended on it. We were treated horribly there, after buying 2 or 3 cars from them. Low down!

Best to you guys; you really know your stuff, and you are gracious to share. I run a board that is not active at all. And yet, just keeping up with IT is very time consuming. You are all kind to hang out here and help so much. I appreciate you!

Ang