1993 Es300 - Master Key Problem

Thanks for the great posts I've read recently about programming a new key etc. However, I do not have ANY Master Keys. I just have the valet parking key.

Because - my BROTHER lost the MASTER key.

(This car was our Dad's car; my brother took the old 1987 Camry, and said I should take the Lexus - no problem)

But he can't find the Master key. He had it last, and he says he lost it somehow.

So my question is: (and this is really a CarTalk question) - what should I do to get my BROTHER to FIND the dang Master key?

Thanks

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi - my brother found the key.

It works the trunk OK, which is better than using the valet key.

However, I think the battery is dead: because the button on it doesn't do anything (like unlock or lock the doors), and using it on the passenger side sets off the alarm.

Question: is it possible to replace the battery without having to reprogram it afterwards? I imagine I just open it up (screwdriver or other tool) and replace the battery with a new one (Duracell).

Thanks

-D

Hi - my brother found the key.

It works the trunk OK, which is better than using the valet key.

However, I think the battery is dead: because the button on it doesn't do anything (like unlock or lock the doors), and using it on the passenger side sets off the alarm.

Question: is it possible to replace the battery without having to reprogram it afterwards? I imagine I just open it up (screwdriver or other tool) and replace the battery with a new one (Duracell).

Thanks

-D

On a 93, there is no programing for the key. All you have to do is change the battery. Before you change the battery though there is one thing that you might not be aware of. There is a small switch just to the right hand of the power mirror adj switch, to the left of the steering wheel. This switch disables the key remote. I know this for a fact because this is the same issue that I had. I replaced the battery and it still did not work. I then found the switch and it started working.

Fyi in case you are not aware of the remote trunk release on the drivers door. There is a switch in the glove box that disables the trunk release (upper left hand corner).