Lexus Navigation System On Older Models...

BimmerJustin

No subscription required.

The 98-00 cars have a hard drive based nav system, the last update for that system was 2005 I believe, they won't be making any others because its difficult due to the hard drive.

If factory nav is important to you, I'd get a 2001. The 2001 has the DVD system and updates are still readily available.

If you don't mind having your NAV sitting on top of the dashboad I would buy a Garmin. I got fed up with a NAV that doesn't work when the car is moving, and bought a lockpick, but I already owned the Garmin because I bought it for my Jeep Grand Cherokee that didn't have a built in NAV. Garmin makes their units in a wide rang of prices {the more you pay the more it will do}. The Garmin 7500 has the same size screen as the Lexus factory unit but it does a lot more. I just got a GS450H that came with a built in NAV. I had considered buying another lockpick or other device to make it work but I am going to plop the Garmin on the dash for long trips, and since I am new to the SC area I will have the

factory NAV to use only if I get lost. By the way my Garmin is a couple years old and it lists the Sams and Walmart 2.7 miles from my house, but the 08 GS has the latest version 7.1 ? and not only does it not list Sam's or Walmart, it also doesn't show a lot of other stores in the area.

The Garmin has remote control, which seems willy but it comes in handy, it also is able to say the name of the street. Lexus will say = turn right in 500 feet, Garmin will say = in 500 feet right on Raintree Drive

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=289

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?231164

Navigate With Ease

StreetPilot 7500 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps, including a hefty points of interest (POIs) database with motels, restaurants, fuel, ATMs and more. Simply touch the sunlight-readable color screen or use the remote to enter a destination, and the 7500 takes you there with turn-by-turn voice directions. It even announces the name of exits and streets so you never have to take your eyes off the road. In addition, the 7500 accepts custom points of interest (POIs), such as school zones and safety cameras, and lets you set proximity alerts to warn you of upcoming POIs.

Add Traffic, Weather and Radio

With an optional XM antenna and a subscription to XM services, you can check the weather, monitor traffic tie-ups and listen to XM radio when you travel with the StreetPilot 7500 in the U.S. As an alternative, the 7500 can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply touch the screen to view traffic details or recalculate your route to avoid traffic.

Stay Entertained

The StreetPilot 7500 comes with several entertainment features to help keep your journey fun, including built-in MP3 and audio book (subscription to Audible.com required) players. In addition to headphones, you can listen to music and books through your vehicle’s stereo thanks to the 7500’s built-in wireless FM transmitter. Volume levels are speed-adjusted, so it gets louder as speed increases, and audio is muted when navigation instructions are given.

Connect your camcorder, DVD player or game box to the 7500 to take advantage of its big screen resolution.

Navigate Without Satellite Signals

For big city drivers, the StreetPilot 7500 includes dead reckoning capabilities, which means it continues to provide position data if you lose signal in areas with tall buildings or tunnels. Professional installation is required.

StreetPilot 7500: The big picture in car navigation.

No subscription required.

The 98-00 cars have a hard drive based nav system, the last update for that system was 2005 I believe, they won't be making any others because its difficult due to the hard drive.

If factory nav is important to you, I'd get a 2001. The 2001 has the DVD system and updates are still readily available.

it actually just so happens that the car I am looking at has navi. I think I would prefer if it did not, because I would rather get a garmin or something. But if I do wind up buying this car, I'll just take it for what its worth.