Aftermarket Seats

TallKDR

Hi. I just bought my 92 Sc3000 5spd. Im 6'4", and I just do not fit well in this car. If i want to sit at a decent position, i have to tilt my head into the sunroof opening. No way of adjusting the seat, unless I recline it way too far back, is able for me to not touch the roof.

I was thinking of purchasing an aftermarket seat and brakets. I have several buyers for my seats for about $300-400. So think Ill be ok.

Has anyone bought aftermarket seats for this car? Did they have brakets available for you? Also, would a Supra seat fit? Are the brakets the same? How does the car look once you do that?

Thanks

Paul

i remember someone putting supra seats in and mentioning weight savings and all try doing a search. as for aftermarket buckets im sure they make a rail but if you want it to be as low as possible then you might want to consider making your own. i just made brackets for my friends civic and it was a bit of work measuring and cutting and welding. but it was a lot cheaper than buying the brackets (as long as you have a welder or atleast access to one.)

There are some options. Supra TT seats will fit. It has been done. They do look good. I haven't changed the seats though. I have my eyes on black leather Sparco street seats (the competition seats are too rigid for me). That will have to wait a while. Problem is, you lose the lazy boy style comfort of the lexus seat and all the electronic nicities with them. But you might be already comfortable with that if it means you will fit in there a little better.

I haven't done it though. I'll see if I can scratch up a pic or two of the supra seats in there. And there is a pic or two somewhere of sparcos in an sc too. The Sparcos and similar brands are pricey though. (MVP has them on sale).

jzz30 is one step ahead of me every where lately. :blink:

Geez you two guys are everywhere ! haha. Thats great that these people here with a lot of info. I came from the zcar.com forums where theres a lot of info too.

I do have access to a welder so I think I will make my own. Also, what do you guys think about ONE sport seat. I would like to leave my passanger a comftorable seat but think it would look pretty dumb.

Thanks for the info though.

Paul

That's odd, I can't even find my own post.

Good thing I saved this writeup:

The 92' sc300's power non-heat leather DRIVER side weighs in at .............. 71lbs, including brackets and headrest.

The power non-heat leather PASSENGER side @ 59 lbs,

A 94' Supra TT leather DRIVER's seat with power tilt/slide weighs 49 lbs w/ brackets.

The PASSENGER side without any power weighs 37 lbs.

Coincidentally, the seats are both 22 lbs less than stock.

My experiences with the swap:

-Taking off the original seats are hard. The seat track has four covers; three of them there are little tabs, you have to take a screwdriver and somehow pull the tab outward.

-Supra seats bolt right on.

-It lowers up up to ~3 inches but minimum of about 1 inch from stock seats.

-My build of 140 lbs and seats hug me perfectly. My waist is 32. My friend is 200 lbs and I'll see how he reacts to the seat.

-The tan color of supra is more brown than the tan of my sc (maybe my interior is gray...)

-Since I've been lowered an inch or two the 5-speed shifter is relatively taller now. Shifts feel awkward.

-Driving seems faster now that I've been lowered.

-The headrest I don't know how to adjust. It's on the bottom mark right now and the top of the headrest is about 1.5 inches above my ear (I'm 5'9")

what do you mean by lower by ~3" but minimum of 1".

Do you mean that the Supra seats are also adjustable?? If so thats great.

So you mean i can adjust the supra seat to the bottom, and have 3 more inches of clearance than now?

That would be nice.

Thanks

Paul

The driver's seat is power adjustable. The only power is tilt forward/backward and recline up/down. There's a "butt" height adjustment knob that is manual. If your butt gets lowered, so does your head.

The passenger seat is non-powered and the only features are tilt and recline. There is a button on the back of the passenger seat that is exactly the same as the one on the sc300. It is the quick release button for passengers in the back seat.

~3" but minimum of 1" means that the "butt" adjustment can lower your head anywhere from 1 inch compared to the stock sc300 seats to up to around (~) 3 inches. With the supra tt (twin turbo) seats you will be at least 1 inch lower.

Here's some pics, I'll try to get more.

Here's a side shot:

12150010_G.sized.jpg

Here's a shot with the "butt" height adjustment at lowest setting. The round knob on the top left of picture is what does it.

12150011_G.sized.jpg

Butt at highest setting:

12150012_G.sized.jpg

For larger sized pics go to sc gallery 15

My theft deterrent system. It helps reduce door dings because everyone feels sad for my car.

12150009_G.sized.jpg

yea you can really see a difference by looking at how the belt buckle is shown when the seats are lower or higher. man i love the Supra seats (probably because i love the Supra :D ) but anyway, on SF someone who is a weight junkie, replaced his power seats with the non-power and cloth seats from an N/A Base Supra. i believe he said it was about 14lbs>"? either that or 24, i know it has a four in it and its either one of them. but yea. maybe you can get the N/A Supra seats and re-wrap the seats with vinyl or leather.

good job on the Supra seats bubbles. perhaps you can help me when i get an Sc300 :P