Replace Waterpump? 148k Mi, '02 Rx300

JSmith

Due to a failed crank shaft seal, the Lexus dealer replaced my timing belt at 53k miles as part of the warranty work. I am considering a new belt as I approach 100k on the existing one (148k on RX now). I see a lot of comment suggesting that replacing the water pump as preventative is a waste of money. Considering my circumstance, should I expect my original pump to last 250k miles, or replace now? (I bought this RX with 30k miles and put mostly hwy miles on it) From checking online part sources, it would appear that the pump housing is not replaced (just seals and impeller?).

Due to a failed crank shaft seal, the Lexus dealer replaced my timing belt at 53k miles as part of the warranty work. I am considering a new belt as I approach 100k on the existing one (148k on RX now). I see a lot of comment suggesting that replacing the water pump as preventative is a waste of money. Considering my circumstance, should I expect my original pump to last 250k miles, or replace now? (I bought this RX with 30k miles and put mostly hwy miles on it) From checking online part sources, it would appear that the pump housing is not replaced (just seals and impeller?).

I didn't change my WP when the belt was done at 90k and won't change it when the belt is done again at 180k. This is based on info I received from multiple Toyota techs claiming the WP does not fail and changing it is a waste. I think Lexus techs have a better comp plan because they always want to change as many expensive parts as possible.

I didn't change my WP when the belt was done at 90k and won't change it when the belt is done again at 180k. This is based on info I received from multiple Toyota techs claiming the WP does not fail and changing it is a waste. I think Lexus techs have a better comp plan because they always want to change as many expensive parts as possible.

JSmith- I will guarantee that you will get those that will say that the sky will fall if you don't replace it per Lexus recommendations. I am not going to argue with them but in working on my DIL's RX I have to say they put some impressive bearings in the stuff they hang on the front of that engine. And the seals don't normally go out because of the anti-freeze that they use. When I did a bunch of maintenance at 97k (none of this stuff had ever been changed before), the anti-freeze looked absolutely brand new and at 120k when I was back into the timing belt area, all of the bearings, including water pump felt like brand new. (none had ever been changed) It is totally your decision but I tend to agree with Mickey.

JSmith- I will guarantee that you will get those that will say that the sky will fall if you don't replace it per Lexus recommendations. I am not going to argue with them but in working on my DIL's RX I have to say they put some impressive bearings in the stuff they hang on the front of that engine. And the seals don't normally go out because of the anti-freeze that they use. When I did a bunch of maintenance at 97k (none of this stuff had ever been changed before), the anti-freeze looked absolutely brand new and at 120k when I was back into the timing belt area, all of the bearings, including water pump felt like brand new. (none had ever been changed) It is totally your decision but I tend to agree with Mickey.

I have two vehicles with the 3.0L V6 engine - 99RX and 99 Avalon. I agree with 58 that the TB idler and tensioner bearings are super heavy duty as are all of the belts. I replaced all of mine when I did the TB replacement at 85k and 88k miles respectively even though I could not honestly tell the difference between new and old bearings. I did not replace the crank and cam shaft seals and I did not replace the RX WP. However, I did replace the Avalon WP because the bearing was slightly sticking. Since both vehicles have the exact same WP, this is some evidence that the WP is not invincible. OTOH, perhaps my Avalon WP would have run almost forever with no other problem than a sticking bearing. I change coolant every 2 years (roughly 20-24k miles) using Toyota factory red.

I have two vehicles with the 3.0L V6 engine - 99RX and 99 Avalon. I agree with 58 that the TB idler and tensioner bearings are super heavy duty as are all of the belts. I replaced all of mine when I did the TB replacement at 85k and 88k miles respectively even though I could not honestly tell the difference between new and old bearings. I did not replace the crank and cam shaft seals and I did not replace the RX WP. However, I did replace the Avalon WP because the bearing was slightly sticking. Since both vehicles have the exact same WP, this is some evidence that the WP is not invincible. OTOH, perhaps my Avalon WP would have run almost forever with no other problem than a sticking bearing. I change coolant every 2 years (roughly 20-24k miles) using Toyota factory red.

Artbuc- That Toyota red is some impressive stuff. My son's '97 Suburban was pretty nasty rusty at about 85k with factory Dex-col (never been changed) and my DIL's 99RX was absolutely pristine at 97k with factory red (never been changed). I actually gave my son a gallon jug of what I took out to use to add to the overflow if it ever ran low because it was crystal clear. I got after my son for not taking better preventative car of the cars- but he didn't get my mechanical genes.