Is There Such A Thing As Quiet Long Mileage Tire?

hurschel

I would like to find a tire that will give me long tire life and a quiet ride. I had noisy tires on the LS400 when I bought it so I gave them away and got a set of Nokian I3's that had a tread pattern that looked like they'd be a quiet tire. When I put them on, they were a lot better than the ones I took off, but after almost 20,000 miles, they sound like all the wheel bearings are bad, rotated them and more noisy on the back now but quieter on the front. What tire do I need to find that will get long tire life and still be quiet, I like the Michelin Hydro edge, but don't want to spring for that kind of money and wind up with a lot of noise, any suggestions.

I would like to find a tire that will give me long tire life and a quiet ride. I had noisy tires on the LS400 when I bought it so I gave them away and got a set of Nokian I3's that had a tread pattern that looked like they'd be a quiet tire. When I put them on, they were a lot better than the ones I took off, but after almost 20,000 miles, they sound like all the wheel bearings are bad, rotated them and more noisy on the back now but quieter on the front. What tire do I need to find that will get long tire life and still be quiet, I like the Michelin Hydro edge, but don't want to spring for that kind of money and wind up with a lot of noise, any suggestions.

I use Goodrich touring tires, quiet and smooth. But I suspect that maybe you are not running your tires at an adequate pressure? "38lbs"

The HydroEdges aren't appropriate tires for the LS, they'll be loud and they don't come in an adequate speed rating.

I'd reccomend the Michelin Primacy MXV4, 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. A set of these are going on my ES next week, I've had extensive experience with the MXV4 line before and they've always been a quiet and long lasting tire, the Primacy is the first model with a treadwear warranty though.

check consumer reports... always good, unbiased info. based on that, i got a set of michelin pilot exalto's for my 91 ls. very very happy with them. quiet, etc... check tire rack, too. tirerack.com

The Exaltos are good tires too, but they're not going to be as quiet as the Primacy MXV4s and they aren't going to have as much tread life. The Exaltos have a treadwear rating of 440 and the Primacy MXV4s have a rating of 620.

SWO knows his tires, I'd take his advice. I messed with Continentals in hopes to avoid the added expense of the Michelins, only to come out about $200 worse off if I had just bought the Michelins to begin with, which is what I ended up with, and was thuroughly happy.

michelin pilot sport A/S, over 40k miles on them and still going strong. got plenty of thread left and no noise whatsoever.

I'm with the Michelins. I've had sets, gone to Continentals, Kumhos, but always back to Michelins. I have the MXV4s on my S430 MRZ and they'll go on the LS430 when the OE Dunlops wear out. There are stickier ones, but for the combination of wear, noise, and stick I haven't found any better. They are a little pricey, but you won't buy a set every 12k miles.

I guess the Michelin Primacy MXV4s would be the ones I go with, I've looked at tirerack.com and they seem reasonable for everything considered. I've tried airing these Nokians up and down, and with 37lb. they are really harsh and it doesn't help the noise. I have a set of Yokahama touring on my minivan and they are wearing really well and give a smooth ride, I thought about those for the Lexus, but am afraid they'd be noisy too. Thanks for the replies and I have used Michelins before and liked them, just trying to save a buck or two, looks like if I want quality, I'll just have to pay for it.