02 Rear Struts

I put on 17" wheels/tires from an RX350 in what should have been a standard "+1" change. Now have a distinct clunk from the rear when I hit a medium bump . I may need new rear struts - what is the favorite replacement struts you all use?

Mick

02 ES300 with no other modifications

I put on 17" wheels/tires from an RX350 in what should have been a standard "+1" change. Now have a distinct clunk from the rear when I hit a medium bump . I may need new rear struts - what is the favorite replacement struts you all use?

Mick

The car has 73K miles on it. There is no obvious rubbing on the side walls and I havent had it on a lift to see exactly what is hitting when the suspension is compressed

Mick

It may not be your struts!

If the tire you put on the car is wider than a 225 then the outside of the tire is hitting the inside lip of the fender. Go out and look at the outside wall of the tire close to where the tread meets the sidewall. I will bet you a buck you will see what look like very shallow cuts into the side wall of the tire. This is from the inside edge of the fender flare hitting the sidewall. Happened to me when I put 18 wheels with a 235 tire on them. Additionally, If your offset is not quite right on the RX rims, that may have pushed your sidewall further out too, thus increaseing the chance of you hitting the inside edge of the fender.

Easiest way to prove it is the tires besides looking at the sidewalls, is to put your stock 16" set up back on the rear wheels and go hit the same bumps. If it doesn't make noise it wasn't the struts. If it does then look into the struts or strut mounts.

Post up your findings.

steviej