Maybe A Blown Head Gasket?

vjlex450

Hey everyone,

I've got a 96 LX450 with 286,000 miles. It's been in the family for its whole life. My Mom gave it to me when she got a new GX. I LOVE my 450. LOVE IT. To the point where I don't even mind the lack of AC, the sunroof sticking, the poor gas mileage, and barely any remaining lights on the dash and stereo. She drives like a champ and I can take her anywhere.

UNTIL YESTERDAY

Now what's happening is that when I come to a stop light or a stop sign, she idles really hard and almost feels like she is going to stall out. She hasn't yet but I've resorted to keeping her in neutral when I come to a stop and keeping the engine revved up some. She drives smooth as silk otherwise. On my way to a mechanic the check engine light came on. The mechanic is telling me that I have a "failure on one" and that I have coolant leaking into my cylinder which is causing the engine to misfire. He said because of the high mileage on the the car he said if he replaces the head gasket it would be hard for the rings to seal and I could end up with a "mosquito fogger". He said I could get a new engine for a few grand but doesn't think I should put that much into a 12 year old car with almost 300,000 miles on her. I don't think he is trying to rip me off because he is recommending that I just let it go and look for a new car. He's clearly never owned a LX450 and had that bond though. Does any of this sound right? Is it the headers? Is it really not worth fixing? I find it hard to let go, but I also don't want to keep pumping money into repairs. To date I've spent really very little on repairs so I've had an amazing run. But the AC has a freon leak from the evaporator core and needs a new compressor (which I just took the belt off of and let it go). The power steering belts need to be replaced. The hood is rusting like crazy under the paint which is bubbling up. What do I do?

Thoughts?

Thanks

With the SUV market the way it is right now, you could look into replacing it with another cruiser or LX-450 for not a lot more than it would cost you to overhaul your motor. With 286,000, that's what you would want to do... overhaul, new rings, head gasket, timing chain. IIRC, these motors are designed to be bored up to two times. With an overhaul and the newer designed head gasket, you should be able to go another 300k miles no problem. You'd need to dig into it some to see what makes more sense dollar wise.

I don't know where you live, but there's a mechanic in Colorado named Robbie (I can get his info. if you want to talk to him). He used to work for Slee Off Road, but is doing his own thing now. He's got more rebuilds under his belt on this motor than probably anybody out there. Anyone I've ever seen that deals with him, raves about his work. He would be "the" guy to do the job, if you could get it to him.

BTW, there's a little test you can do to confirm the blown head gasket diagnosis by pulling the cap and tube on the radiator overflow reservoir. Leave the tube portion extended below the level of coolant in the overflow bottle, and hold the engine to 3000rpm. If you get a constant flow of bubbles coming out of the tube, then you've got a leaking head gasket. Also should be seeing white smoke coming out of the exhaust and be able to smell coolant in the exhaust.

Regards,

Rookie

• 2 months later...

I was just wondering... Did you decide to keep her? I ask because I am in the same dillema. I have a '97 LX450 with 170,000 miles. The head gasket blew, which apparently is a common issue, and my mechanic is telling me that after further investigation I need a new engine! I haven't been able to find an engine except through jasper and it comes with a healthy price tag, about $7000 to be exact. Then everyone is aware of the high hourly maintanence charges. Does anyone know where I may find a cheaper engine. Also, I may be looking for a new mechanic soon. Does anyone know of one near Knoxvlle, TN?

With the SUV market the way it is right now, you could look into replacing it with another cruiser or LX-450 for not a lot more than it would cost you to overhaul your motor. With 286,000, that's what you would want to do... overhaul, new rings, head gasket, timing chain. IIRC, these motors are designed to be bored up to two times. With an overhaul and the newer designed head gasket, you should be able to go another 300k miles no problem. You'd need to dig into it some to see what makes more sense dollar wise.

I don't know where you live, but there's a mechanic in Colorado named Robbie (I can get his info. if you want to talk to him). He used to work for Slee Off Road, but is doing his own thing now. He's got more rebuilds under his belt on this motor than probably anybody out there. Anyone I've ever seen that deals with him, raves about his work. He would be "the" guy to do the job, if you could get it to him.

BTW, there's a little test you can do to confirm the blown head gasket diagnosis by pulling the cap and tube on the radiator overflow reservoir. Leave the tube portion extended below the level of coolant in the overflow bottle, and hold the engine to 3000rpm. If you get a constant flow of bubbles coming out of the tube, then you've got a leaking head gasket. Also should be seeing white smoke coming out of the exhaust and be able to smell coolant in the exhaust.

Regards,

Rookie

• 2 weeks later...
I was just wondering... Did you decide to keep her? I ask because I am in the same dillema. I have a '97 LX450 with 170,000 miles. The head gasket blew, which apparently is a common issue, and my mechanic is telling me that after further investigation I need a new engine! I haven't been able to find an engine except through jasper and it comes with a healthy price tag, about $7000 to be exact. Then everyone is aware of the high hourly maintanence charges. Does anyone know where I may find a cheaper engine. Also, I may be looking for a new mechanic soon. Does anyone know of one near Knoxvlle, TN?

I've done all my own work since I bought the vehicle 5 years ago, so I haven't dealt with any mechanics in the area.

Who'd you take it to? Did the mechanic explain what he did to come to this conclusion? There is one Toyota shop in town (which shall remain nameless, but they're right off of Pellissippi Parkway) that I wouldn't trust to change an air filter. If you got your information from them, then you definitely need a second opinion. It's a pretty robust motor, and unless you ran it until it died, I would be suprized if the motor was beyond repair. Probably should take it to Toyota of Knoxville. They're high, but fairly trustworthy from what I've heard. I've helped another guy replace his head gasket. It's a big job, but if you've got decent mechanical inclination and some time, you could do it. A lot of folks have done this repair, so there's some good info available and actually a DVD a guy put together on the job, that makes it doable for blow joe knuckle buster.

Regards,

Rookie

• 2 weeks later...

Where may I find this dvd?

I've done all my own work since I bought the vehicle 5 years ago, so I haven't dealt with any mechanics in the area.

Who'd you take it to? Did the mechanic explain what he did to come to this conclusion? There is one Toyota shop in town (which shall remain nameless, but they're right off of Pellissippi Parkway) that I wouldn't trust to change an air filter. If you got your information from them, then you definitely need a second opinion. It's a pretty robust motor, and unless you ran it until it died, I would be suprized if the motor was beyond repair. Probably should take it to Toyota of Knoxville. They're high, but fairly trustworthy from what I've heard. I've helped another guy replace his head gasket. It's a big job, but if you've got decent mechanical inclination and some time, you could do it. A lot of folks have done this repair, so there's some good info available and actually a DVD a guy put together on the job, that makes it doable for blow joe knuckle buster.

Regards,

Rookie

• 1 year later...

My GS300 is doing the same idle-almost choke-out at stop lights. Only after it warms up? I heard it was because I was using 5w-30, i switched to thicker oil but still same bad idle?

2JZGE

225000 miles

Just replaced lotta gaskets

Symptoms:

Very bad gas mileage!!

loss of power, like tough going up hills

rough idle after warming up for 5 min

How much is a fair price in NC to tear it down and see what it is? 600?

Any info Appreciated!! ;)

If your head gasket blew, you'd typically have white smoke and a coolant smell coming from the exhaust and overheating.

If your PCV valve were stuck open and you're sucking oil into the intake chamber, that would make it run really bad, other than that the first place I'd look is fuel delivery.

Hmm, there is not any white smoke? You're prob right it is a fuel/ air problem, I took a pic of the top of the throttle body, it looks like something is missing?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dzu0P...feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ekNOm...feat=directlink

anybody think something fell off the throttle body?

I can't tell what that is from the picture (kind of foggy), but your setup is a little different than the LX450. There's nothing in that area on mine. There are a couple of things that connect up to the throttle body on mine (just not in this spot), that are about the size and shape of what you're showing. One is the Throttle position sensor, the other is the Idle Air Control valve. Obviously both could impact issues that result in the problems you've described. Both of these bolt to the throttle body, and have a wiring harness that clip into them. I don't think something like this could just "pop off", but look around some more and see it there's an empty wiring harness dangling from somewhere.

I can't tell what that is from the picture (kind of foggy), but your setup is a little different than the LX450. There's nothing in that area on mine. There are a couple of things that connect up to the throttle body on mine (just not in this spot), that are about the size and shape of what you're showing. One is the Throttle position sensor, the other is the Idle Air Control valve. Obviously both could impact issues that result in the problems you've described. Both of these bolt to the throttle body, and have a wiring harness that clip into them. I don't think something like this could just "pop off", but look around some more and see it there's an empty wiring harness dangling from somewhere.

I think some neighbourhood kids who broke into my car might have messed with it. But ya there isnt any extra wiring harnesses dangling! I'm going to have to take it to the shop, it gets like 5mpg. I even pulled the o2 sensors to make it run lean!! IT's loud as a harley now! lol

any ideas on how to make it run lean till i have money for mechanic? :lol:

I think some neighbourhood kids who broke into my car might have messed with it. But ya there isnt any extra wiring harnesses dangling! I'm going to have to take it to the shop, it gets like 5mpg. I even pulled the o2 sensors to make it run lean!! IT's loud as a harley now! lol

any ideas on how to make it run lean till i have money for mechanic? :lol:

I wouldn't be horsing with it like that. If it's running that bad something is way off and you need to get it checked ASAP. You could be causing a lot of damage by running it. I.e. what may be a relatively minor fix now, could turn into a toasted motor by continuing to run it.

• 2 months later...
Hey everyone,

I've got a 96 LX450 with 286,000 miles. It's been in the family for its whole life. My Mom gave it to me when she got a new GX. I LOVE my 450. LOVE IT. To the point where I don't even mind the lack of AC, the sunroof sticking, the poor gas mileage, and barely any remaining lights on the dash and stereo. She drives like a champ and I can take her anywhere.

UNTIL YESTERDAY

Now what's happening is that when I come to a stop light or a stop sign, she idles really hard and almost feels like she is going to stall out. She hasn't yet but I've resorted to keeping her in neutral when I come to a stop and keeping the engine revved up some. She drives smooth as silk otherwise. On my way to a mechanic the check engine light came on. The mechanic is telling me that I have a "failure on one" and that I have coolant leaking into my cylinder which is causing the engine to misfire. He said because of the high mileage on the the car he said if he replaces the head gasket it would be hard for the rings to seal and I could end up with a "mosquito fogger". He said I could get a new engine for a few grand but doesn't think I should put that much into a 12 year old car with almost 300,000 miles on her. I don't think he is trying to rip me off because he is recommending that I just let it go and look for a new car. He's clearly never owned a LX450 and had that bond though. Does any of this sound right? Is it the headers? Is it really not worth fixing? I find it hard to let go, but I also don't want to keep pumping money into repairs. To date I've spent really very little on repairs so I've had an amazing run. But the AC has a freon leak from the evaporator core and needs a new compressor (which I just took the belt off of and let it go). The power steering belts need to be replaced. The hood is rusting like crazy under the paint which is bubbling up. What do I do?

Thoughts?

Thanks

The best thing that you need to do is to examine both compressor & headers. I can't tell exactly what but try to weigh those two.