High Beam Removal

Please.....anyone???

What exactly are we trying to do, replace the bulbs or the housing itself? Also you don't have to take the front cover off. You can remove it from the engine bay

Please.....anyone???

What exactly are we trying to do, replace the bulbs or the housing itself? Also you don't have to take the front cover off. You can remove it from the engine bay

Im replacing the actual high beam housing, i know how to remove the headlights, just the high beams im not sure about. So the front bumper cover doesnt have to come off to remove the high's? Any pics, or step by step?

Please.....anyone???

Im replacing the actual high beam housing, i know how to remove the headlights, just the high beams im not sure about. So the front bumper cover doesnt have to come off to remove the high's? Any pics, or step by step?

You do not have to tear off the bumper cover to change out the high beams. I think there are two screws at the top that mount it in and it has a groove near the bottom of the high beam assembly which fits on a tab on the bumper cover (and of course, the wiring plug).

When you get your new aftermarket lights just study the mounting spots on the new ones and it will make sense as to how to remove the old ones.

Here is a picture of the back of a bumper cover which shows the small tab that the bottom of the high beam slips onto. Also, I put in two pictures of my car with the rubber hood seal pulled back. If I remember right, you pull off the seal carefully so you can reuse it (its in a groove), then take out those screws all the way across and remove the small tray the seal sets in, which will reveal the beam mounting bolts.

I replaced my whole front end a couple months ago but have forgotten everything already...

Anyhow, it's easy - you won't have a problem. (not a pain like the headlights)

By the way, if you get them installed, post a picture of your car with them, I have been thinking of getting some of those myself...

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

Like lexusHam said very easy to do.

BTW what kind of aftermarkets are you going to install in it's place? let us know how they look after you're done.

Wow, somebody needs to clean their engine bay.

BTW what kind of aftermarkets are you going to install in it's place? let us know how they look after you're done.

LoL, seriously, my engine bay is immaculate. Thank you very much for the help lexusHam, i am thinking about those ebay ones, lol i've heard they like to fog up, but its worth a try if the dealer warrants them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-92-99...emZ260262443175

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-99-LEXUS...emZ310067712806

They look really nice.

Pics are a must, i know.

LoL, seriously, my engine bay is immaculate. Thank you very much for the help lexusHam, i am thinking about those ebay ones, lol i've heard they like to fog up, but its worth a try if the dealer warrants them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-92-99...emZ260262443175

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-99-LEXUS...emZ310067712806

They look really nice.

Pics are a must, i know.

A while back I changed out my valve cover gaskets because they were seeping a bit of oil - just enough to smell it actually. At the same time I changed out my spark plugs and plug wires. Anyhow, after the job was done, I took it down to the car wash and loaded it up with degreaser and then rinsed it off. Ran great all the way home until it was parked for a while. Then the excess water/degreaser ran down under the plug tray shield and into the plug holes (about 2 inches of standing liquid!). Needless to say, was basically un-driveable until I pulled out the tray and plug wires to get the moisture out. (Since the new plug wires weren't sealed in very good yet, the water allowed the top of the plug to short out on the block, making it misfire on two of the cylinders).

Haven't cleaned it since..... I guess I just need to face my fear of degreaser. ;)

shame on you LexusHam. not cleaning your engine bay. Just cover the Distributor Cap and the Battery terminals, leave the car running and start spraying.

Lethal_threat:

I guess you've already bought them. all that I'm going to say is :snoooorrrtttt:

shame on you LexusHam. not cleaning your engine bay. Just cover the Distributor Cap and the Battery terminals, leave the car running and start spraying.

Lethal_threat:

I guess you've already bought them. all that I'm going to say is :snoooorrrtttt:

Not to get too far off topic... When I cleaned out the engine bay I did cover the distributor and had the engine running. On this type of motor one of the things you need to watch out for when cleaning your motor is spraying too much water around the spark plug valley between the valve covers. There is a tray at the top of it to stop that but it will get below that if it is alot of water.

Also, maybe let it run a while after hosing it off to let the water evaporate off.

But still, don't think it would have been a problem if not for the new plug wire boots which hadn't sealed down yet.

So really my problem was cleaning too much!

so you've done this before? I run the car with a closed hood for another 4 minutes. Blowing compressed air around the area you're concerned about helps to. I'm glad you're going to take care of that engine.

so you've done this before? I run the car with a closed hood for another 4 minutes. Blowing compressed air around the area you're concerned about helps to. I'm glad you're going to take care of that engine.

Yea I have cleaned it out before, but I live in dust-bowl USA. So it doesn't stay clean for long. Somtimes I actually have to pull tumbleweeds out of the space between the radiator and bumper cover!

Lethal_threat:

lol, what does that smiley mean?? and nope, i havent ordered them YET, really itching to do it though. I have a popped evaporator and its hellishly hot down here, so that comes first.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty guys my new headlights came in, and they are installed, along with routing my exhaust true duals from the cats straight to the stock mufflers, and finding a pretty serious oil leak all in the same day. LoL, it sucks, the main pan is leaking HEAVY, but that is a story for another day.

The headlights look wicked, and i will have pics as soon as it stops raining and i can wash my car. I would though like to say YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER TO GET THE HIGH BEAMS OFF...... <_< <_< <---triple sucks

All in all the process was simple, and def worth it!

so what do they look like again? You have me curious now.

I believe the Snort pic is trying to say you're sniffing something and getting high of it, but I'll leave it alone.

You can unscrew the screws from up-top and grab it from the bottom. Just prevent any kind of rubbing along the Radiator. You can also lift up the high-beam cover-corners, and grab them from there, but if you'd like to remove the cover to make life easier that would be recommended.

so what do they look like again? You have me curious now.

I believe the Snort pic is trying to say you're sniffing something and getting high of it, but I'll leave it alone.

You can unscrew the screws from up-top and grab it from the bottom. Just prevent any kind of rubbing along the Radiator. You can also lift up the high-beam cover-corners, and grab them from there, but if you'd like to remove the cover to make life easier that would be recommended.

I tried every which way, but they wouldnt come out, so i just pulled the bumper cover off, only took about 15min. Pics asap

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Alrighty guys my new headlights came in, and they are installed, along with routing my exhaust true duals from the cats straight to the stock mufflers, and finding a pretty serious oil leak all in the same day. LoL, it sucks, the main pan is leaking HEAVY, but that is a story for another day.

The headlights look wicked, and i will have pics as soon as it stops raining and i can wash my car. I would though like to say YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER TO GET THE HIGH BEAMS OFF...... dry.gifdry.gif <---triple sucks

Will you please exactly how you replaced the housing? Because I looked at my SC400 1998, as far as I can see there is no way I can squeze a high beam housing in without taking off the bumber, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The headlights look wicked, and i will have pics as soon as it stops raining and i can wash my car. I would though like to say YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER TO GET THE HIGH BEAMS OFF...... dry.gifdry.gif <---triple sucks

Will you please exactly how you replaced the housing? Because I looked at my SC400 1998, as far as I can see there is no way I can squeze a high beam housing in without taking off the bumber, thanks

I would remove the front cover. It would make life a lot easier.