Starter Engaged?

okcchristina

When I start my 90 ls400 it starts perfectly but it sounds to me like the starter is staying engaged has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone give me advice? I thought for a minute I could just bang on the starter but now as I read here today the starter is inaccessible by only lifting the hood. Please help someone. I don't know much about this car yet, the unique I know is that I love her anyway I can do minor repair work with instruction. Thanks to everyone.

Starter solenoid contacts (on many different models of cars) are notorious for getting "stuck" in the on position when they become worn. The contacts sort of weld together for a moment and then vibrate apart.

This has the effect that you described. The starter continues to run even after you have released the key from the "start" position.

I have also heard of the solenoid spring not returning the starter gear from the flywheel thus keeping the starter engaged. In either case, it sounds like a new or rebuild starter may be in your LS's near future.

what would that sound like? I have a whining noise coming from my PS pump/left bank area that I can't pin down. It sounds like a super-large electric motor revving up and down, or an old 4-cyl volvo revving up. Always there when my car is on.

Starter solenoid contacts (on many different models of cars) are notorious for getting "stuck" in the on position when they become worn. The contacts sort of weld together for a moment and then vibrate apart.

This has the effect that you described. The starter continues to run even after you have released the key from the "start" position.

I have also heard of the solenoid spring not returning the starter gear from the flywheel thus keeping the starter engaged. In either case, it sounds like a new or rebuild starter may be in your LS's near future.