Providing Power To A Sirius Radio Internally

Hi everyone,

I had a basic Sirius radio installed in my 2002 RX300. A few weeks later I bought a better radio to replace the original one that was installed by Circuit City and found out the power plug doesn't fit.

I cut the plug from the power adapter that came with the new radio and soldered it to the wire that was run internally (i.e. I replaced the power plug) but the radio won't turn on. I suspect they have different power requirements.

Power adapter run through the dashboard:

156855eeea.jpg

2c6d024034.jpg

Closer look at the new radio; You can see the old radio power wire cut in the back of the wires.

cbdedb3e8b.jpg

My question is how do I supply the correct amount of power to the new radio? I was thinking to open the cig-lighter and connect it to the power line inside the dash-board but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I had a basic Sirius radio installed in my 2002 RX300. A few weeks later I bought a better radio to replace the original one that was installed by Circuit City and found out the power plug doesn't fit.

I cut the plug from the power adapter that came with the new radio and soldered it to the wire that was run internally (i.e. I replaced the power plug) but the radio won't turn on. I suspect they have different power requirements.

Power adapter run through the dashboard:

156855eeea.jpg

2c6d024034.jpg

Closer look at the new radio; You can see the old radio power wire cut in the back of the wires.

cbdedb3e8b.jpg

My question is how do I supply the correct amount of power to the new radio? I was thinking to open the cig-lighter and connect it to the power line inside the dash-board but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

are you sure you connected power to power and ground to ground b/c if you connect power to ground its not gonna work. use a volt meter with the key on and see which wire has power.

• 4 weeks later...
are you sure you connected power to power and ground to ground b/c if you connect power to ground its not gonna work. use a volt meter with the key on and see which wire has power.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out.

Thing is the wire installed already works with the old radio, but doesn't work with the new radio (I only changed the plug).