1998 Sc400 Pricing

Okay, I want to buy a 1998 SC400. After some research, Edmunds priced it at $10k, kbb and Nada are similar at $13k. this for a 91,000 miles car.

So I'm not sure how to proceed, there's a local seller currently listing at $14k. I'm in no hurry to buy one, so I'm just wondering which one I should believe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The Dealer price at $14,000 is at least $4,000-5,000 too much for a car with nearly 100,000miles on it. You need to check if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced, if not expect to put in another $1,500. Recently a 2000 model SC400 was on sale at a NJ dealership for about $12,000 (mint with about 22,000mi on it). I just missed it as someone in the dealership took it for themselves. If you are not in a rush......wait. The 1998 SC400 car you are looking at is way overpriced IMHO.

what kind of a dealership is this? Two things, one: have the car inspected by a Lexus, Toyota and your personal mechanic, or if possible have Carmax inspect it( they find all sorts of problems, body/frame, engine, electrical.) If you don't have a Carmax near you inspect the paint and look for overspray. Also look in the engine bay and search for leaks. While you're in there check all the fluid levels and colours. the dirtier the colour the less likely you'll have to reservice the car as soon as you buy it.

If you find problems use those as your bargaining chips. Just remember the dealer does not want to keep that car on the lot any longer than it has to be. Also ask for the invoice. Used car lots usually don't want to give you that because they want to maximize profits, so insist on it if they are serious about selling the car-be prepared to walk out otherwise they won't take you seriously. If they provide you with it add $500-1000 to the invoice price, and ask them if they've done any services to the car since it's been with them. If they have, oil change, battery service, tire replacement NEW, ding-dent-scratch removals are the common ones. it should not cost more than $500. If it's a couple of hundred you can add it to your cost, anything higher offer to split it with the dealer.

Now if their invoice is close to their asking price $14k asking $13,6 invoice, and you're satisfied with the car then paying them the $14 is up to you. If it requires work, walk away.

Hope this helps a bit