Its Tire Buying Time Again...

SW03ES

I know, I must be the only SOB on the road that likes buying tires, especially right now.

However, on our recent trip to PA I noted extremely bad hydroplaning on the highway in a heavy rainstorm, when I inspected the tires sure enough, they're almost to the wear bars.

So thats it for the Turanza LS-Vs. I've had them for 19 months and about 35,000 miles. I was very satisfied with them, and from my experience with V rated tires on this car, this is about their lifespan. Bridgestone doesn't make them anymore so I'm probably going back to Michelin with the Primacy MXV4.

However, as you all know I'm a big proponent for sticking with the factory speed rating. The difference in cost however between the H Rated primacy's and the V rated primacy's is like $45 a tire, so for $180 in savings I'm really tempted to try the H's. TireRack says its fine, and I get conflicting data online on top of my own experience.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I've had a few posts regarding the Toyo Versado LX's that I put on my LS last year (V rated 245/45-18) - about 20,000 miles ago, and still love these tires. Very quiet still, great handling and performance (I'm a bit older now & more settled in my driving style, and I don't pretend that my LS is a Porshe) and appear to have plenty of tread left - I use a set of dedicated snow tires here in Minnesota, so at least a couple more years left on this set.

They are available in H or V ratings, with the advantages/disadvantages that you are already aware of.

Anyway, just throwing another manufacturer out there for your consideration.

Let us know what you decide!

Eh, I've had bad experiences with Toyo tires in the past, I've pretty much decided on the Michelins I'm just concerned with the H rating vs the V rating. If it were $20 a tire I'd do the V's without even thinking about it, but $45 a tire is a lot...

Definately understand the shying away from the Toyo brand - just thowing in my 2 cents worth for the new Versado's. Anyway you can't go wrong with Michelin's - either speed rating.

The H's cost less to begin with, and will wear better, so economically that would be the best route. Performance wise, just depends on your driving style/aggressiveness - personally, I don't think that the difference between an H rated (130 mph 'sustained speeds') and the V rated (149 mph) is worth the $45.00 extra.

I put the V rated on last year simply for the fact that is what they had available the quickest.

I've looked at them but they don't sell them in the ES' size. I'd buy the Bridgestones again, they ride great and are very quiet, not quite as quiet as the Michelin MXV4+ I had on it before, but rain and snow traction was better, significantly better.

My main concern is getting the smoothest and quietest ride, I'd like to think the H's will wear better than the V's but I doubt it since they both have the same treadwear rating. I'm a little concerned about buying tires with that high a rating in terms of noise and harshness, but all the survey and test data says they're the quietest MXV4s Michelin has made...

I've looked at them but they don't sell them in the ES' size. I'd buy the Bridgestones again, they ride great and are very quiet, not quite as quiet as the Michelin MXV4+ I had on it before, but rain and snow traction was better, significantly better.

My main concern is getting the smoothest and quietest ride, I'd like to think the H's will wear better than the V's but I doubt it since they both have the same treadwear rating. I'm a little concerned about buying tires with that high a rating in terms of noise and harshness, but all the survey and test data says they're the quietest MXV4s Michelin has made...

go with what you know in at least the tire brand.

In all honesty, you most likely will only feel a difference in your mind from V to H. I went with a set of H rated tires once on my ES and didn't know the difference from the Vs just coming off. Now mind you, I didn't do a controled study and have two sets of the same new tires, 1 H and 1 V, to compare. Inquire from your tire guy; if you are not satisfied with the H rated tires--how long do you have to return them? Most tire dealers give you 30 days.

If you don't like it, trade up.

steviej

PS, I really think you should look at a set of 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sports A/S's that would be attached to a 2008 GS350 AWD. :whistles:

Regardless of which tire brand and model you decide to go with, get the H-rated version. You'll never notice the difference from a performance standpoint and will probably enjoy longer treadlife as well. These midrange Japanese sedans simply do not need V-rated tires regardless of what the manufacturer wants you to believe - I learned that with the rare 5-speed manual Acura Legend that we had in our family for 13 years. It came from the factory with V-rated Michelins but I changed to H-rated Dunlops (the warhorse D60-A2 that Dunlop no longer makes, unfortunately) after the factory set wore out and stayed with them for the duration of ownership. Handling was identical, wet weather performance was identical, treadwear lifespan increased substantially, and it saved me at least $150 to $200 on every set of tires I purchased for that vehicle (probably four or five sets over our 13-year ownership period). That was significant....

I can't find a local shop that will sell them to me in H rated since the car came with Vs so I'll have to order them on TireRack, I just emailed them to see what their return policy would be...if there is one.

Stevie, You're right, you're right! Stinkin' real estate market has got to get better first...

You won't be returning your H-rated tires. You'll like them and keep them with no hesitations, especially knowing how good they are for your wallet compared to the V-rated version. Trust me on this one....

LOL!! Just remember Sw, no more driving to PA at 130+ mph!! As your new H rated tires may start to become unstable..... :rolleyes:

Having worked as an engineer at a major tire manufacturer, I definitely recommend using H-rated instead of V-rated, unless you plan on driving for extended periods above 130 mph near the full rated load of the tire. Sometimes, tire manufacturers make identical tires and change out the sidewall plate to read V instead of H. This means the H tires are really V-rated, while the V tires cost more. Since the UTQG treadwear rating is the same, it's likely the same tread compound. At our plant, we had exactly one tread compound that was used on all of our tires whether they were rated V, W, or Y. The speed rating has much more to do with the carcass construction than the tread compound.

I have only used H-rated tires on our ES300 in the 140,000 miles we've had it.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL!! Just remember Sw, no more driving to PA at 130+ mph!! As your new H rated tires may start to become unstable..... :rolleyes:

I know! HAHAHAHA. What a loss it will be for the PA State Troopers too!

No Triple Treds for me ;) I'm going to shod it with H rated Primacy MXV4s next week, gonna order them from TireRack, $125 a peice which is a lot better than the $170 a peice they want for the V rated ones...

I'm going to shod it with H rated Primacy MXV4s next week, gonna order them from TireRack, $125 a peice which is a lot better than the $170 a peice they want for the V rated ones...

Does that $125 include the removal and disposal of you current tires and the mounting and balancing of the new ones or is that just the price of the rubber?

Let me know how much the "extras" add up to. My tire guy keeps telling me that he is cheaper than TireRack and DiscountTires in the long run because I don't have to pay shipping and all that stuff comes included in the price he quotes me. just curious.

steviej

Nope, thats just for the tires...unshipped.

Usually I can do better with a local tire guy but that doesn't seem to be the case this time. Here's my breakdown:

Tires: $500

Shipping: $37.34

Installation (Incl disposal, stems, etc) $66

Total: $603.34

When I look at any installer these tires are $175 a peice installed bringing the total to $700, plus tax which would bring them to $742. I'm sure that I could get them to match the cost from TireRack...but then I'd still have to pay the tax...

I've used TireRack before and have been really satisfied, the past few times I've spent a little more to buy tires locally so I could return them if I didn't like the ride.

• 3 weeks later...

So did you go ahead and get the new tires? If so, what are your impressions thus far? I continue to assume that you'll notice no difference in performance between the H-rated and V-rated versions....