Aftermarket Air Intake!

DarrenA

I've heard bad things about the HKS filter elements coming apart and getting in undesirable places. If you want a cone, use a k and n style paper element on the end of your tubing no matter which manufacturer you choose. I have a blitz element coming off of the maf on my car with an adapter piece. The filter is similar in design to the k&n with a heavy paper element, ribs and reinforcement. Do a search here for BFI and you will find that the stock air box can be modified and actually produces the best gains if all else is stock.

Most aftermarket companies make their filter elements as universal, so you can really get any one you want. I ran an HKS for about a year and a half. Not a bad filter, and it doesn't come apart like most people say. But, it does get dirty in about 4 hours. And the filter replacement is so expensive. As stupid as this sounds, the best air filter that I've seen is RS Akimoto. It's a K&N filter with a small opening at the top of the cone with another inverted filter. So instead of one big filter surface, you get 2. I'll post a pic. But, I prefer K&N filters, you get more power from them. All the fancy filters are mostly for looks.

ak-filter.gif

Here's some pictures of my BFI version 2.

Bigger pics in sc gallery 14 and 15

Lid- I painted it by using a leftover can of flat black bumper spray paint. I found some clear coat spray paint and I used that too. I could see myself when the paint dried up but now it's dusty.

12150004_G.sized.jpg

Box- The white section on the right of the picture is the lid. I only painted the top of it.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/albums/SC/12...005_G.sized.jpg

The front air scoop- Mine is slightly different than the original (there's an air temperature sensor on the passenger side and some people cut that off to pull the scoop down further)

12150007_G.sized.jpg

If I don't post pictures of the material I used to make the lid and chamber (oh yeah I need picture of chamber too), remind me to take a picture.