Upgrades For Better Mpg?

John A.S.

But, I'll accept an actual dyno run by a successful well known company than merely the opinion of a board blogger any day.

And you think global warming is actually a fact too, don't you?

Dyno runs conducted by independent testers show almost no gain from the filter elements. The pdf you supply shows the results of the FIPK system. Maybe Jeep leaves a bunch of horsepower on the table - Lexus doesn't.

And you mis-interpreted my comment about full throttle - I didn't speak of RPM - I speak of load, which is throttle dependent, and is a measure of air flow ( see speed density fuel injection systems and mass air flow systems....) If air speed through the filter is relatively low, then restriction is obviously less a factor, and so for someone looking for fuel mileage, as the original poster was, a "special" air filter will provide no benefit, over a stock clean air filter because to attain best mileage means keeping your foot out of the throttle.

But that's just the opinion of a board blogger.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't believe in global warming, but thanks for playing.

Please feel free to read my first post in which I indicated that I have an FIPK on my Jeep. And yes, you are reiterating exactly the point I made.......the Jeep is not well tuned coming out of the factory whereas the Lexus is. (sometimes it is beneficial to actually read what people write before responding.....) I would be interested to see the dyno runs from independent testers of the same Jeep, same day, same temp with stock airbox/filter vs. FIPK that shows no hp increase. Have any links?

Alright people, let's keep this clean ok? I am interested in reading how this goes and I don't want to have to close it over some stupid comments along the way.

So, everyone was saying.....

sheesh.......

Well I'm still VERY interested in finding out if replacing a thermostat will help anything if it's not broken.

And is the DIY for a coolant flush on a 2nd gen different from the 1st gen????

Right on ;)

I always try to go with, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

but was just curious as to if it may "wear" with age or something and not function as efficiently as it should!

Hi Mike;

I had a 94 Camaro LT-1 for a while and installed a K&N FIPK on it. Independent tests showed about 7-8 horsepower, and I'd say that was about right - some "seat of the pants" confirmation at that point. K&N claimed more. Bottom line is the FIPK obviously corrects some factory systems, like your Jeep and the Camaro.

So we agree on more things than disagree I guess. And if I offended in any way, my apologies.

SRK

Hmm...that's very odd and hard to believe it's no gimmick. Anyone else ever head of this "fuel saver" thing from Fuel Eco Systems? Apparently it's been around since 1990 and less than 1% of America even knows it exists! Thanks for all the glorious detail Bryan! ;) hahaha.

Here's the website http://fuelecosystems.com/

Hi Mike;

I had a 94 Camaro LT-1 for a while and installed a K&N FIPK on it. Independent tests showed about 7-8 horsepower, and I'd say that was about right - some "seat of the pants" confirmation at that point. K&N claimed more. Bottom line is the FIPK obviously corrects some factory systems, like your Jeep and the Camaro.

So we agree on more things than disagree I guess. And if I offended in any way, my apologies.

SRK

No worries....more miscommunication than anything, I believe.

The Jeep has substantial room for improvement with a small block 5.2 V-8 with a restrictive airbox and exhaust. Installing a K&N FIPK and a hi-flow cat and muffler with slightly larger exhaust tubing yielded dramatic improvement. I never dyno'd it, cuz the actual numbers just don't make that much difference to me; the improved performance is all I really care about.

I also own a Honda S2000 that is very difficult to get any gains on outside of adding a turbo. It is a little 2.0 liter 4 cylinder that puts out 240 hp, and is very well tuned out of the factory.

My untested supposition is that the Lexus is much more like the S2000 than the Jeep as far as benefit derived from bolt-ons.

As for the Gen 2 coolant flush, I just recently did this. The only major difference from Gen 1 is that the throttle body is on the front rather than side of the engine, and the coolant fill hole is above and slightly to the left of the throttle body, and requires a torx head bit. I could get to the passenger side engine block drain with extensions, but I couldn't quite get to the driver side engine block drain. I flushed and drained several times to get out as much of the old water/coolant as I could before refilling with Toyota Long Life and distilled water. I had to add small amounts to the overflow tank over the next few days as the system worked the trapped air out. It is definitely less messy to utilize some 3/8" inner diameter vinyl tubing to guide the coolant being drained into your catch basin.

Hmm...that's very odd and hard to believe it's no gimmick. Anyone else ever head of this "fuel saver" thing from Fuel Eco Systems? Apparently it's been around since 1990 and less than 1% of America even knows it exists! Thanks for all the glorious detail Bryan! ;) hahaha.

Here's the website http://fuelecosystems.com/

Sorry about that.. :) Just saw a newscast about a vehicle that decreased its gas consumption by 20% by just adding that device to it. For less than $100 it sounds like a good deal. trying to hunt down someone who has this locally.

Oh no problems Bryan I'm just giving you a hard time ;) hahahah.

I also would like to find someone who has one of these. It's an interesting product.

and Mike the S2k is a 2.2L!! lol ;) I'd love to drive an S2K someday...

Also I have a 97 so it's still a little different from your 99 with VVT-i and everything. I jusy want to make sure I have everything right before I try draining the coolant out.

What?? :huh:

So if you drive an LS400 why care about getting the best MPG you can get out of it???

That is an interesting question. If you're concerned about getting the best mileage possible, you probably ought to have a Prius. Being prudent and getting the best you can makes sense, but the LS is hardly an economical car. The sheer size of it is sort of a dead giveaway. I've got a Honda Civic hanging off the back of mine as a tender. :P

and Mike the S2k is a 2.2L!! lol ;) I'd love to drive an S2K someday...

The newer S2000s are 2.2 liter; those are the 8000 rpm redline.....think those started in '06. The first engine (which I have) is a 2.0 liter with 9000 rpm redline. Not a ton of torque, but it's like driving a high powered go kart.....and is the most fun on twisty mountain roads.

I plan on upgrading a few things to see if I can improve my gas millage and I am wondering if its worth spending about $800-1000. I will put some iridium long lasting spark plugs, performance filter, high grade synthetic oil, and then regulate the air pressure on all tires and upgrade the ignition system further with an Ignition Amplifier, Ignition Capacitor, and a Voltage Regulator. I guesstimate that would allow me to squeeze 1-2mpg. Does anyone have some suggestions?

You'll never make it up in fuel savings. Better to watch you driving habits including combining trips to stores, etc.

I don't see the problem with wanting to make the best with what you've got......at all

And I just realized that Mike thanks for pointing that out ;) I'd love to own one of the older 2.0L 9k RPM redliners. So what if it isn't very torquey, having a vehicle at 9k RPM is just damn impressive B) (to me anyways)

Maybe I'll ditch the LS and get and S2K?? Then I'd never have to haul anything or offer to take my car ;) hahahahha!

I don't see the problem with wanting to make the best with what you've got......at all

And I just realized that Mike thanks for pointing that out ;) I'd love to own one of the older 2.0L 9k RPM redliners. So what if it isn't very torquey, having a vehicle at 9k RPM is just damn impressive B) (to me anyways)

Maybe I'll ditch the LS and get and S2K?? Then I'd never have to haul anything or offer to take my car ;) hahahahha!

Better yet, keep the Lexus, and pick up a used S2000 as a second vehicle. I don't know that I would ever own one as my only vehicle.....small, limited cargo space, no back seat, i.e., not very practical. Yet, driving it on twisty roads is better than any rollercoaster and will leave a smile on your face, making you completely forget how impractical they are. :)

When I say "not a lot of torque", I mean there is no way you are going to beat a V-8 muscle car in a straigh line 1/4 mile. But, it is balanced so well that it handles like a dream in turns. If you know how to drive it, there isn't much out there that can keep up with it on the twisties.

Better yet, keep the Lexus, and pick up a used S2000 as a second vehicle. I don't know that I would ever own one as my only vehicle.....small, limited cargo space, no back seat, i.e., not very practical. Yet, driving it on twisty roads is better than any rollercoaster and will leave a smile on your face, making you completely forget how impractical they are. :)

When I say "not a lot of torque", I mean there is no way you are going to beat a V-8 muscle car in a straigh line 1/4 mile. But, it is balanced so well that it handles like a dream in turns. If you know how to drive it, there isn't much out there that can keep up with it on the twisties.

I can name one. The Mini, esp the CoopS version. A friend has one. It's the closest thing to driving a custom gokart. Absolutely flat cornering, tightest handling, most responsive steering with most feedback this side of F1, and if you turbo it, you're way into Porsche territory. Would be too stiff a ride for touring long distances, so I would keep the LS. One thing I don't like about it is the runflat tires, but since there's no spare, there's no choice.

:cheers:

Ok got so if you want fuel economy drive a mouse "i.e. prius" if you want safety drive a box "i.e. volvo" and if you want a fun car drive a shoe "i.e. cooper" but if you want Luxury drive a 4250lb v8 gas guzzling brick "i.e. the ls400"

LS isn't really a "gas guzzler". It's VERY efficient for the size of the LS and is know to get very near, and sometime break 30mpg highway.

In my opinion the LS is also VERY safe, and fun to drive. Maybe it's not the MOST economical, but there is much, MUCH worse.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 2002 LS430 and got it converted to run on LPG (also called auto-gas - I believe that it's actually propane), do you have that over there? It's about 80% as efficient as good old petroleum spirit BUT the good bit is that it only costs about half that of petrol (or gas as you call it).

The net result is that it gives me the equivalent of 42mpg average. I had this on my last car also ( a Ford Scorpio 2.3 litre 4 cyl.) and the savings I got not only paid for the conversion costs but also paid for the Scorpio and most of the Lexus; mind you I do a lot of miles but it is nice to fill the tank for half the cost.

BTW, to fill the LS430's petrol tank over here costs the equivalent of $200 so you can understand why I'm so pleased about the saving.

Hopefully this info. will help you guys to worry a little less about your mpg

Mike