General Detailing Questions

I am new to the detailing world and this and the Autopia forums have helped me a lot in learning how to detail a vehicle. I have just placed an order for a detailing kit from Autopia which includes: 1 Porter Cable 7424, 1 4.75" velcro backing plate, 1 of each Sonus SFX-1,2,3 polishing pads, 1 of each Sonus SFX-1,2,3 car polishes, 2 Sonus microfiber buffing bonnets, and 2 Sonus detailing towels. I will start to use this kit to restore my wife's neglected white Nissan Maxima. The car is in decent shape, but if you take a closer look, you'll see a lot of "spiderweb" scratches. The car also has a few paint chips on the hood area, which I will need to take care of ASAP before I start the polishing process.

Before I start repairing the paint chips, obviously I have to wash and clay the car first. A collegue of mine refer me to langka.com and to get the Langka Paint Chip repair kit and use it with the touch-up paint. Have anyone used this Langka kit and does it work? Are there other methods to repair the paint chips? After repairing the paint chips, I will then polish and probably use the Klasse products. Are there any tips for bringing the Maxima back to its glossy look?

After reading about what a polish is and it's purpose, how often should you polish(since polish is an basically an abbrasive)? When should I start polishing a new car(09 RX350)? For now, all I do for the RX is wash and clay, then use the Klasse all-in-one and sealant glaze(2 coats). When the porter cable comes in I hope that the time for glazing will be cut in half if not more.

Thanks for your help,

Pho

You should polish as needed. If you adopt a proper washing tecnique you shouldn't have to polish much at all.

Thanks Steve for the reply. That is what I thought, polish on an as needed basis; since it is an abbrasive. Another question if you don't mind about whether I should wax or not wax my new RX? Since wax doesn't last that long and my RX hardly have any swirls or scratches, instead of waxing, I am thinking of apply more than 2 coats of the Klasse sealant; especially when the PC I ordered this morning is on its way to my doorstep. I've read somewhere that the more coats you apply the more glossy the paint looks. From your experience of using sealant is that correct?

thank you,

Pho

Waxing and the Klasse sealant are mutually exclusive. If you're using the sealant, no need to wax unless you specifically want the look of the wax over the SG sealant, in which case you need to make sure you're using a non-cleaner paste wax.

I've never been a huge fan of the Klasse system, I've used it but only a few times so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do like Klasse AIO because it removes staining well. I do know however that I wouldn't use the PC to apply Klasse SG, you want to use VERY VERY thin coats of the SG, and thats best achieved with a MF or terry applicator.

Before I start repairing the paint chips, obviously I have to wash and clay the car first. A collegue of mine refer me to langka.com and to get the Langka Paint Chip repair kit and use it with the touch-up paint. Have anyone used this Langka kit and does it work? Are there other methods to repair the paint chips? After repairing the paint chips, I will then polish and probably use the Klasse products. Are there any tips for bringing the Maxima back to its glossy look?

One of my BMW places called Bavarian Motorsport has the langka stuff and after reading a 'detailing issue' of their one flyer I was interested in using it.

In case anyone is not familiar with how you use it here are the steps to take accoding to the article:

Using touch-up paint, apply a blob to the desired chip and let it dry to a sticky touch then using the langka stuff and a card (provided) begin to rub down the blob. With the card and langka you are suppose to use a detailers rag which I am guessing a nicer version of a shop rag. A guy from my BMW board has used it before and said it is hard to do and takes awhile. I said I would email him on it before I purchaed anything. For the price I thought I would give it a shot. WHo knows, maybe I'll like it. After that it is heading off to the shop for a new coat on the hood. I am hoping the langka does most of the job though!

Good luck with all your detailing stuff. I just got into this myself over the past year and here and there buy new products and test them out.

One of my BMW places called Bavarian Motorsport has the langka stuff and after reading a 'detailing issue' of their one flyer I was interested in using it.

In case anyone is not familiar with how you use it here are the steps to take accoding to the article:

Using touch-up paint, apply a blob to the desired chip and let it dry to a sticky touch then using the langka stuff and a card (provided) begin to rub down the blob. With the card and langka you are suppose to use a detailers rag which I am guessing a nicer version of a shop rag. A guy from my BMW board has used it before and said it is hard to do and takes awhile. I said I would email him on it before I purchaed anything. For the price I thought I would give it a shot. WHo knows, maybe I'll like it. After that it is heading off to the shop for a new coat on the hood. I am hoping the langka does most of the job though!

Good luck with all your detailing stuff. I just got into this myself over the past year and here and there buy new products and test them out.

ED, thanks for the reply. Please let me know how well the langka stuff works after you try it. I haven't even purchased mine yet. I still need to get my touch-up paint. I wonder if I should just pay the high price the dealer charges instead of wasting too much time searching the internet for the touch-up. From my reading of this langka stuff, I am assuming that it is to be used to repair paint chip on the main car panel instead of other pieces such as the door trim which is plastic. I also have quite a few chips/scratches on the driver side door trim, which is very noticable. I wonder how well the touch-up paint will adhere to plastic. I guess it doesn't hurt to try since it is only plastic and won't rust.