Changing The Speakers

ok, i want to change all the speakers on my new IS does anyone know where i can get all the info on size of spekers the car comes with so i can go buy them and change them for better ones. I'm getting 2amps and 2 12inch subs in the trunk.

i don't have the ML Sound system

'08 IS 250 premium pkg w/ navi.

For non ML you basically have an 8" sub in the back, then 4 identical sets of 3-way component speakers, one set in each door.

Each set is-

1" Tweeter

2.6" Mid

6.5" Woofer

All the in-car speakers are 4 Ohm, the sub is 2/2... the sub is rated 35/35W the interior speakers are rated 25W for the tweeters and 21W for the mids and woofers.

• 9 months later...
For non ML you basically have an 8" sub in the back, then 4 identical sets of 3-way component speakers, one set in each door.

Each set is-

1" Tweeter

2.6" Mid

6.5" Woofer

All the in-car speakers are 4 Ohm, the sub is 2/2... the sub is rated 35/35W the interior speakers are rated 25W for the tweeters and 21W for the mids and woofers.

Hello,

Do the 2009 IS250's have the same speaker size? Also, How do you pop off the cover for the back sub?

Thanks.

You mean there is actually a sub in the back of the IS250? Man, it must be pathetic because I am so not pleased with the low end in this car. Where exactly can I find the sub?

what "low end" are you talking about?

You mean there is actually a sub in the back of the IS250? Man, it must be pathetic because I am so not pleased with the low end in this car. Where exactly can I find the sub?

Really? I find it the best stock system I’ve ever heard in a car. Check your bass settings. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the ML system vs. the stock system. It doesn't "hit" hard but has way more than enough resonating bass.

Really? I find it the best stock system I’ve ever heard in a car. Check your bass settings. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the ML system vs. the stock system. It doesn't "hit" hard but has way more than enough resonating bass.

Your correct. It is one of the best factory system's I have heard, but I still want to change the speakers. Does anyone know how to change the speaker in the back? That is how to take the cover behind the back seats off?

I too find the bass to be very good in my IS250. I have had my windows shaking a couple of times. I have my bass set at 2 (normally) and sometimes that is a little much for me.

Normandg

It is not really in the trunk, it is located behind the headrests of the rear seats. It is really like the roof of the trunk but it is behind the rear headrests. Maybe your fader is set all the way to the front?

So I guess if I were to install a mono amp & subwoofer I should tap into the line that's going to this sub & disable the stock sub?

Yup. Use the line level inputs and your set. I put a set of quick connex on mine so I can easliy take the sub out if I ever need the room. (I haven't ever needed it yet.) I'm using an Alpine Vpower mono block amp and a 10'' W7 JL Audio sub. Gives me way more bass than I ever use.

Lexusis250awd, when you're done put up pics in the audio set-ups topic....Smooth, y haven't you put up any pics in that topic?

I'm trying to give others a chance to get involved, and participate. As soon as there are a few posted set ups, I'll put mine up there as well. (You know I don't have any problems with showing what I have and helping other members learn how and do it for themselves as well.) But the goal was to get a nice data base going so other/new members can see what has been done, what sounds good, and what doesn't work, and why etc. etc. I just figured with the economy being what it is right now, maybe there aren't alot of people spending that kind of money on a stereo system upgrade just yet. So I was just going to wait it out and see.

Lexusis250awd, when you're done put up pics in the audio set-ups topic....Smooth, y haven't you put up any pics in that topic?

I'm trying to give others a chance to get involved, and participate. As soon as there are a few posted set ups, I'll put mine up there as well. (You know I don't have any problems with showing what I have and helping other members learn how and do it for themselves as well.) But the goal was to get a nice data base going so other/new members can see what has been done, what sounds good, and what doesn't work, and why etc. etc. I just figured with the economy being what it is right now, maybe there aren't alot of people spending that kind of money on a stereo system upgrade just yet. So I was just going to wait it out and see.

I got you, its for the good of the forum :) Just like everything else you do.

Okay I listened to that sub behind the rear seat headrests. That bass really doesn't travel to the driver/passenger seat area. My guess it's because of the positioning of the speaker. Also, it doesn't handle loud volume with the bass cranked very well.

I think someone may have posted about tapping into that line & connecting an aftermarket sub (no aftermarket amp) & placing the speaker in the trunk. Did it sound MUCH better?

Wondering if I should dish out the money for a mono amp or if the stock amp seems to perform well with an aftermarket sub in the trunk

Okay I listened to that sub behind the rear seat headrests. That bass really doesn't travel to the driver/passenger seat area. My guess it's because of the positioning of the speaker. Also, it doesn't handle loud volume with the bass cranked very well.

I think someone may have posted about tapping into that line & connecting an aftermarket sub (no aftermarket amp) & placing the speaker in the trunk. Did it sound MUCH better?

Wondering if I should dish out the money for a mono amp or if the stock amp seems to perform well with an aftermarket sub in the trunk

That sub gets a whopping 35 watts of power. Most speakers get blown from not having adequate power supplied, and not from having to much power. So, if you did just use the same power output and line, then your probably going to end up blowing subs regularly unless you get another 35 watt sub to use in which case would defeat the entire purpose of this mod.

I also removed that sub in the rear deck so it's just open there. I get plenty of sound and bass in the cabin.

I am gonna stick with my stock sub but there is this rattle that keeps annoying me. I checked it out and its actually the "carpeted" roof of the trunk hitting the roof of the trunk. I don't know if you know what I mean but is there any way that I can fix this?

I guess you must have been riding in a crown vic before with 4 or 5 subs with each its own amp in the truck not to be satisfied with the stock system in this car. I get plenty of bass in the drivers seat with the bass level at less that half. :lol: