Transmission Problem Check Engine Code P0768

cam69ss

Hello,

Last night at the end of my 30 min ride home from work my 2002 RX300 with 120,000 on it had the check engine light come on as well as the ASC light. Then I noticed it wasn't going into OD even if I turned it on or off. Also the D light in the gear indicator on the dash is not on. I pulled the code and it is P0768.

The trans has been fairly well maintained, I know the fluid and screen was changed at about 50K, 80K and 110K.

Any ideas what this can be? The transmission shifts fine, it just does not shift into OD. I attached a picture of the trans showing all the solenoids, anyone know which one is setting off this code?

Thanks in advance.

post-18231-1215546181_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Last night at the end of my 30 min ride home from work my 2002 RX300 with 120,000 on it had the check engine light come on as well as the ASC light. Then I noticed it wasn't going into OD even if I turned it on or off. Also the D light in the gear indicator on the dash is not on. I pulled the code and it is P0768.

The trans has been fairly well maintained, I know the fluid and screen was changed at about 50K, 80K and 110K.

Any ideas what this can be? The transmission shifts fine, it just does not shift into OD. I attached a picture of the trans showing all the solenoids, anyone know which one is setting off this code?

Thanks in advance.

It indicates Shift Solenoid D, however, that is exactly how my transmission indicated when it failed...Drop the pan and see if you have excessive debris (metal filings) in the pan on the magnets. I hope you dont but the gears failed in mine causing contanmination in the valve body assembly which prevented the solenoid from actuating. Dont bother with a flush, I did and it did nothing. I hope it is just a solenoid failure, but I wouldnt bet on it. Good luck.

lenore, thanks for the reply, did your car still have the first 3 gears when your transmission failed? Also how many miles were on it and did you go to the dealer to have it replaced?

Thanks

Dan

lenore, thanks for the reply, did your car still have the first 3 gears when your transmission failed? Also how many miles were on it and did you go to the dealer to have it replaced?

Thanks

Dan

Yes it did have the first three gears, and yes I did take it to the dealership hoping that they would give me a break, but no, since I did the three tranny fluid changes myself (every 30k) they broke my wallet instead. (4300) . If you had the vehicle serviced at Lexus for its life, than go in and ask for a good will replacement, some have just payed labor and it ended up being around $1700 total. but if you didnt have the total Lexus service, than find a good reliable tranny shop... dont forget to fille a complaint with Lexus of AMerica and the NHTSB online. The numbers keep rising with the failures. I hope yours is not failed and has a bad solenoid or something. Does the engine run rough? Because if it does it will not go into fourth gear, just shooting from the dark.... Some have had bad knock sensors when this happens...Good luck

engine runs fine, I hope it is just that solenoid that failed. Not familiar with Japanese cars but it is weird that the transmission will work fine in the first 3 gears, not go into OD and need to be rebuilt. Usually if one gear goes it is a matter of few miles where the rest of the transmission will go.

Like yourself I did all my own fluid changes, the dealer did perform the waterpump and timing belt change and under warranty they changed the rear main seal and the front transmission seal at about 90K. This is a CPO car.

I am bringing it in to the dealer for service this afternoon. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

engine runs fine, I hope it is just that solenoid that failed. Not familiar with Japanese cars but it is weird that the transmission will work fine in the first 3 gears, not go into OD and need to be rebuilt. Usually if one gear goes it is a matter of few miles where the rest of the transmission will go.

Like yourself I did all my own fluid changes, the dealer did perform the waterpump and timing belt change and under warranty they changed the rear main seal and the front transmission seal at about 90K. This is a CPO car.

I am bringing it in to the dealer for service this afternoon. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

The planetary gear let loose in mine, I was two states away going across the salt flats in Utah. Be warned that the dealership is very expensive, I see you are on CLub Lexus also. I drove back to Salt lake city and Lexus tried a flush, no good, said it was OK to drive to California. Drove home on three gears with crappy gas mileage. I was at exactly 100k miles. Since I have added a external tranny filter and am considering moving the tranny cooler to the front of the car. I also am thinking to moving to AMSOIL synthetic fluid which might withstand the higher temps.