94 Es300 Transmission Shifting Problems

nigel

Does anyone have a a copy of this document? Thanks. Trying to change my speed sensor but do not know where its located.

I started my original thread about my vehicle speed sensor for my 94 ES300 back in Jan 13, 2004. Apparently the attached pictures with detailed inspection and test info that I attached to that post have been deleted after 73 downloads and five years from the original post date? Sorry, I have not been actively reviewing this post. I don’t get automatic e-mail prompts when someone has a question on a post that I have started or replied to. So, I only know about questions if I happen to be checking my old threads on the forum, which is rare. I tried to reattach the files, but the forum won't allow me to attach my diagrams anymore from my personal computer files, and I don't have these on a website to provide a link for you. If the documents are archived on the forum somewhere, I could not find it. If you still need location and testing diagrams with more info on inspection and testing of the speed sensor, please reply to this post and let me know. You will have to include your personal e-mail address so I can send it directly to you.

Please can you send me a copy of the diagram to doetack [at] yahoo [dot] com. Thank you

Subject: Updated Speed Sensor info for 94 ES300

Doetack,

I tried to paste in the testing diagrams that I attached on the forum back in 2003 and also a picture of a speed sensor showing the plastic gear on the end. The current forum settings would not accept that. I tried again to attach them, but that didn't work either. So, I will e-mail the diagrams and additional test info directly to you. For the other forum members who want this additional info, I will try again to attach info when I have more time to review the attachment restrictions and procedures.

You may want to first double check all electrical connections to the speed sensor, Combination Meter and ECM before you remove the speed sensor to make sure you don't have a loose wire or corroded connector. Some times a loose or dirty connection can cause an intermittent problem. Also, if the sensor got wet or is operated in a very high humidity environment that could affect any electronic part. Also, if your transmission has very high mileage, been driven aggressively, or has not been maintained with proper fluid level or fluid changes, you may have other internal tranny problems. I replaced my speed sensor around 100,000 miles and the tranny lasted another 50,000 miles before I had it rebuilt due to internal slippage. Other inoperative or intermittent components such a a knock sensor, ECM, or combination meter may cause similar symptoms, (but not all) and can make diagnosis of root cause difficult and confusing. Also, some of the symptoms,such as the speedometer and odometer not working and the OD indicator light flashing did not occur for several months after the tranny was having shift issues. These additional symptoms started occurring intermittently after about six months. A code did not appear until after these additional symptoms began. That is why it took me nine months to figure it out.

For your info the speed sensor we are discussing is sometimes called a Vehicle speed sensor, a Speedometer speed sensor, or a Direct Clutch speed sensor. Make sure the replacement has the plastic gear on the end of the shaft (like the one shown in the attached diagram) and it is the sensor that mounts on the top of the tranny case. I checked today with my local Lexus dealer/parts department. Their computer description was "Speedometer speed sensor". I did learn that there are actually two different OEM part numbers. The OEM part number for this speed sensor is 8318112020 if your ES300 vehicle was manufactured from 7/93 through 8/93. The OEM part number for this speed sensor is 8318112040 if your ES300 vehicle was manufactured from 8/93 through 7/94. The parts guy I contacted couldn't see any difference between the two part numbers because there was not enough detail in the pictures on his computer screen to compare. You can probably check the sticker on your door jam to find your actual date of manufacturer which should be some where from 7/93 to 7/94.

A new sensor from the dealer will set you back about $210.00. You may be able to buy a used sensor from a salvage yard for less. Keep in mind that most used part's sellers don't know how to test this part and they may not be able to confirm the part number or reveal if it came out of a car that was in a flood. I don't recall if the OEM part number is actually stamped on the speed sensor or not. Many electrical parts are not returnable to the seller? So, beware when buying used or new electrical parts. And, remember most of the used parts available for a 94 Lexus are 17 years old and probably high mileage (already beyond their life expectancy).

LOCATING AND REMOVING OF THE VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

The Vehicle Speed Sensor is attached to the outside/top of the trans axle case with one 10 mm hex head bolt. To locate use a flash light and look down between the firewall and the throttle valve assembly. The Sensor is approx 9” out from the firewall and about 12” below the throttle assembly. Unplug the electrical connector, remove the hex bolt, and lift out the sensor. This is very easy. If it appears to be stuck, I would gently grab it with a pair of slip joint pliers, and pull upwards on it. You may have to wiggle it a bit as you pull, but it should come out without damage. Check the plastic gear on the end of the sensor shaft to see if the teeth on the plastic gear look worn or damaged.

One thing I would recommend whether you decide to reuse your current sensor or a replacement sensor is to first buy a new O-ring to replace the old one on the outside of the sensor body. The OEM part number is 9671124018. The price quote I got was $4.68. Just wet the new O-ring with transmission fluid and slide it into place on the sensor body before you put the sensor back into the tranny. Insert the replacement sensor into the tranny case gently by hand. Do not force it. You may need to rotate it slightly for it to drop in place. Don't tighten the retainer bolt unless you are sure the sensor is fully seated.

Good Luck.

--Nigel

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Nigel. I'm Happy you found the problem and fix it. I saw a Lexus tech answered with not a clue about the problem. I have been a dealer consulting Tech for over 30 plus years. in other words. they call me when they come across problems and i do my best to find the problems for them, Let me tell you this. Lexus has lots of Electric problems. I have found 100s over the years since they open the market in 1990. If a Lexus Dealer tech tells you they have never heard of the problem. There either new or changes oil for them. I have trained techs from GM to Ford and most import cars on finding problems, The tech never looked up The printed TSB on the cars. If you run across problems with any of your cars. You most likely to find a TSB or Campaign or even a Recall on the internet, many sights have this info.I have not only seen the problem your talking about, I have trained over 100 techs about it and why it happens. A Bad speed sensor can make the ECM go crazy. So the next time a dealer tech says they have never heard of it and you are not happy with your dealer techs. Find a good ASE tech shop and most know to check TSBs and Recalls, See Dealers in todays world hire young kids that need lots of training and you pay for it in the long run, My advice if you want to use a dealer. look up them on Yelp or Google and Read there Reviews.Good Luck

• 1 year later...

I have 94 ES300 with 127k miles on it. I drove this car from Los Angeles to Oregon with no problem at all. A day after I arrived the transmission started acting up. It would shut off on drive every time I pressed the gas. But it will drive in 2nd gear fine I've been driving in 2nd to start then I switch to drive and it runs fine. I don't know what the problem is any suggestions would help. I thought it was the throttle body at first cause it's done this before and my mechanic in ca cleaned the gunk out and it solved the problem till I arrived here. But I've been told it's the transmission. Please help. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 94 ES300 with 127k miles on it. I drove this car from Los Angeles to Oregon with no problem at all. A day after I arrived the transmission started acting up. Sometimes Reverse doesn't work and It would shut off on drive every time I pressed the gas. But it will drive in 2nd gear fine I've been driving in 2nd to start then I switch to drive and it runs fine. I added transmission fluid in a couple days ago and it was fine for 2 days and the problem reoccurred. I don't know what the problem is any suggestions would help. I thought it was the throttle body at first cause it's done this before and my mechanic in ca cleaned the gunk out and it solved the problem till I arrived here. But I've been told it's the transmission. Please help. 

i just just read this and called the transmission place and asked how much a speed sensor replacement would cost and they said there is 3 different kinds? Any suggestions to which one needs to be replaced would really help. Thank you. 

• 3 years later...
On 12/13/2003 at 11:10 PM, Lextech2k3 said:

ok as a technician for lexus i can say two things about your experience...

1.) that WAS a one in a million shot cause that has never been scene at the dealer i work at ..and toyota/lexus has kind of a saying for things like that " if it's wrong on 4 cars in one month it will be wrong on every other one." or something like that...point is that i have NEVER even heard of this happening...but if anyone has heard of this happening...or has had it happen please tell me so i can identify this problem and bring it to the attention of my supiors as something to spread the word about...

2.) you should go back to your dealer and rip that service manager a new one!....that's a bunch of bullhonkey that they charged you 190 bucks when they were wrong...just make sure you bring a reciept from the other place to prove you had the work done...you could probably get a free service out of them as they tend to cave really quick to agressive people.

hey thanks for the insight i hope that i can save someone some trouble with it.

I have the same exact problem ie:. Odometer is out, speedometer is out, obviously cruise control and my transmission shifts high in first gear just just like described above. Also check engine light is on. The thing with my situation is that I also got a speedsensor code and it was replaced butnit didn't correct the problem. I've been told to get a cluster but I've researched this extensively and I think it's an ecm problem but no one definitively has diagnosed. The speedometer and odometer only acted funny when taking long trips and engine was warm. Was intermittent at first and since has been like this for a year

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

As a Lexus technician have you seen the shift solenoid a electrical issue much? they tell me it's either the solenoid or  the connections between the solenoid and the computer or the computer I just wonder what you generally see on this, mine is new to me, a low miles, 45K, on a 1994, some seem to think sticky varnish on the solenoid and use some Berryman B12 to disolve the varnish, B12 cust svc concurs its worth a try, i suction out 3qts after a treatment and put Dexron III back in.