Alloy Wheels

My '94 SC300 - which I purchased on New Year's Eve 1993 - justr turned 311K and is going as strong as ever. Absolutely no engine work other than replacing timing belt/water pump at 160K and again at 260K -- at the urging of the mechanic. Still has the power it had new and rides like a dream despite traveling back roads of RURAL PA for the past 9 years. It gets Dec-Mar off to protect it from road salt, cinders, etc.

So, here's the deal. Age and use have taken their toll on the alloy wheels - cosmetically only. I've heard they can be reconditioned, but wonder if it's more practical (cheaper) to replace them instead.

AND, the high-beam lights are really foggy. Will the 3M Perfect-IT III solution mentioned here in the forum work on them too?

This car owes me nothing - still getting 28MPG on the highway - but I'd like to get it looking as good as it runs.

Thanx

You can recondition the wheels for a few hundred dollars. Suggest getting all of them reconditioned so that the paint matches.

Is your highbeam housing showing condensation after a rainshower? Depending on that, Perfect it should do the trick.

My '94 SC300 - which I purchased on New Year's Eve 1993 - justr turned 311K and is going as strong as ever. Absolutely no engine work other than replacing timing belt/water pump at 160K and again at 260K -- at the urging of the mechanic. Still has the power it had new and rides like a dream despite traveling back roads of RURAL PA for the past 9 years. It gets Dec-Mar off to protect it from road salt, cinders, etc.

So, here's the deal. Age and use have taken their toll on the alloy wheels - cosmetically only. I've heard they can be reconditioned, but wonder if it's more practical (cheaper) to replace them instead.

AND, the high-beam lights are really foggy. Will the 3M Perfect-IT III solution mentioned here in the forum work on them too?

This car owes me nothing - still getting 28MPG on the highway - but I'd like to get it looking as good as it runs.

Thanx

If you're lucky enough to live in a city with shops that can recoat, you're good to go...pretty cheaply. But if not, like me, you would have to send it elsewhere to get it done (expensive) or buy them through the local dealerships boady shop at $179 a piece. That doesn't seem too bad until you consider that I bought four gorgeous Falken Torque 5 silver 18"x8" wheels for $145 piece...http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?wheelmodel=Torque+5+-+silver&wheelbrand=Falken.

BTW, I cannot tell you how incredible these Falken look on these cars....makes ya fall in love with them all over again.

KeyStone Automotive aftermarket also refinishes wheels. I wasn't satisfied with their work when I had my 18s done, but you guys might have better luck.

KeyStone Automotive aftermarket also refinishes wheels. I wasn't satisfied with their work when I had my 18s done, but you guys might have better luck.

Just repaint your wheels. Best paint for your silver alloys is made by Wurth (Silver Wheel Paint) Also, clear coat them with Wurth Clear Laquer Paint. (Canned spray paint) This is GREAT spray paint with a very nice spray pattern. It is a real no-brainer for the diyer. I got the spray paint from one of the detailer web sites, I think it was either Autogeek or Top of the Line detail products web site. One can will easily do two wheels, maybe four. Do a search (there is a diy on a BMW site) on spray painting your curbed wheels and you will find plenty of info. Wurth makes a great product.

Not sure, but I think the finish on your oem wheels are baked on. If that's the case you will never match their original state unless you use the same process for refinishing. Not to say they won't still look better than worn if you spray paint.

• 1 month later...

I recently got into acciednt where i had to replace one of my alloy wheels on my 92 sc400

I bought a used one which you could hardly tell was used and it was the original wheel for the 92 sc400 to boot from the following place:

Hub Cap Annie (its a guy)

1801 St Albans Dr

Raleigh, NC 27609

919-876-0341

I recently got into acciednt where i had to replace one of my alloy wheels on my 92 sc400

I bought a used one which you could hardly tell was used and it was the original wheel for the 92 sc400 to boot from the following place:

Hub Cap Annie (its a guy)

1801 St Albans Dr

Raleigh, NC 27609

919-876-0341

oh yea the price was only 117.00 (sweet)