First Post - Couple Of Quick Questions

I hope my first post is not too stupid. I am the proud owner of my first Lexus. I have a 2005 LS 430.

My two questions are:

1) to remove fine scratches, do you go back and forth across the length of the scratch, or

back and forth along the length of the scratch, or does it matter?

2) when cleaning and waxing the car, how much care do you need to take with the parking assist sensors,

or should you avoid them altogether?

Thank you for any replies, and thanks for this great website!

Mark

I hope my first post is not too stupid. I am the proud owner of my first Lexus. I have a 2005 LS 430.

My two questions are:

1) to remove fine scratches, do you go back and forth across the length of the scratch, or

2) when cleaning and waxing the car, how much care do you need to take with the parking assist sensors,

Mark

I don't pretend to be an expert at detailing so take my advice with that in mind. I just enjoy keeping my cars looking nice and do a fairly good job.

(1) Go to this site. At the bottom are some nice videos using an orbital. Similar techniques are described on other sites. I chose this one because it describes a technique that is similar whether using a machine or polishing and waxing by hand. Griots have a nice car care handbook that gives some at-the-ready instruction when you don't want to take the time to look it up on the internet.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+ca...ndom+orbital.do

(2) I avoid the sensors, but then clean them off with some eyeglass cleaning swabs to remove any residue.

Hope this helps. There are other folks on here who are much more versed in detailing that I am and I have enjoyed reading their messages and gotten some very good ideas.

My two questions are:

Mark

Hey Mark, no questions are stupid. Here a 2 suggestions from me (and I am not a scratch/detailing expert either but some of the people on here are).

Suggestion 1: Search for "Scratches" or "Scratch Removal" under this forum and you may have a bunch of posts come up.

Suggestion 2: Look through this post I started (it is now up to 20 pages)...it has mainly detailing information for novices (like me that is why I asked what I thought was a stupid question and it turned into a post with 20 pages...there are alot of us novices out there). But it does have some recommendations for scratch removal! Here it is:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=45222

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out...and maybe you will be the expert to help out the next person! :cheers:

Thanks guys, for taking the time to respond.

I will definitely look into getting an orbital polisher as I have a rotator problem with my right shoulder.

Thanks again,

Mark