A Decent Performance Upgrade?

lexfourcam

i know the ls400 isnt a sports car but, im just lookin to give it more low end power if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

How much money do you have to spend and how much more "low end power" (is this low RPM torque?) would you like?

I am guessing that, after a good tune-up, your best bet is to press the ECT button. :huh:

well i was going to get a pair of headers. they're like 600 but if there's anything i could do in that range it would b cool, i already have an exhaust. just needed the headers to complete it. has anyone bought a performance torque converter?

not too many LS's with aftermarket torque converters, but that is the one thing you can do to significantly improve your launches without a bunch of extra work. There are quite a few more SC400's with TC's. Lextreme is a good place to start reading.

thanks alot. I was thinkin about turbocharging my car or puttin a supercharger on but i really dont wanna make too much power. Wat is a decent size turbo that would run maybe 6 or 7psi? Would the stock internals b able to handle that or would the engine have to b rebuilt with aftermarket parts?

I put in a K&N filter maybe..... not even 1k miles ago, I pulled it out and it was dirty as hell. Filled with bugs and debris. Almost all of the red color of the filter was gone. Surprises me after such a short time. I also noticed a small loss in my mileage lately ~1-2mpg. Maybe this is attributable to the filter???

So I put my stock filter back in and am hoping I see a positive difference.

Yea i have noticed that with this intake mod ive done. but that should all change when i have a true cold air intake. Ive put one on my friends jeep and it made a whole hell of a difference he beat me off the line after we put it in i was pretty surprised, and *BLEEP*ed but after we got to about 60 he got dusted. It also sounds pretty sweet with the new intake you can definitely hear it sucking in air it kinda sounds like a vacuum.

I put in a K&N filter maybe..... not even 1k miles ago, I pulled it out and it was dirty as hell. Filled with bugs and debris. Almost all of the red color of the filter was gone. Surprises me after such a short time. I also noticed a small loss in my mileage lately ~1-2mpg. Maybe this is attributable to the filter???

That is the air filter's job is to catch all that stuff. :P On a K&N, the red in the oil is just to let you know where you have and haven't oiled after cleaning so that you can thoroughly oil. It won't stay that red over the interim between cleanings. Oil as directed. Too much, and you may have excess that gets sucked into your airtube. Not enough, and it won't filter as effectively as it should.

I don't see how a more free flowing air filter can lead to lower mileage UNLESS the throttle response and sound differences (if any) cause you to step a little harder on the "go" pedal. The engine is only going to suck in as much air as it needs. More available air should not affect mileage in a negative manner. If the previous filter was at all restrictive, you could possibly see modest improvement in mileage, but I think this would be minimal on the LS400 (don't know this; just an assumption).

On the plus side this prolongs the time in between oil changes, I doubt a filter will magnet more dirt and insects.