"ect Power"

I have a button near the shifter that turns on/off the ECT Power. I think it is some kind of transmission configuration that tells the computer to shift differently, as in for more power while driving.

so preferably to save more gas i should havee it off right?.. thanks

It reconfigures the transmission to downshift easier and to stay in gears to higher engine speeds thereby keeping the engine closer to it's max hp and max torque.

It does burn more gas because it runs the engine at higher speeds.

It reconfigures the transmission to downshift easier and to stay in gears to higher engine speeds thereby keeping the engine closer to it's max hp and max torque.

It does burn more gas because it runs the engine at higher speeds.

alaright thannks ... im gonna go look to see if the switch is bye my shifter and ill be back later... gotta go somewhere, thanks guys

i suggest u dont leave this switch on all the time as its not good for the tranny

yea i see it now... i guess when i was messing with it i didnt have the car on.. i turned it off and on when i had the car on and i see it now... thanks guys

i suggest u dont leave this switch on all the time as its not good for the tranny

It won't hurt anything to leave it on all the time. The changes in the shift points are very slight. You don't want to leave it in ECT SNOW all the time, and if you notice the car automatically switches ECT SNOW off when you shut the engine off, but it leaves ECT PWR on.

It won't hurt anything to leave it on all the time. The changes in the shift points are very slight. You don't want to leave it in ECT SNOW all the time, and if you notice the car automatically switches ECT SNOW off when you shut the engine off, but it leaves ECT PWR on.

out of curiousity, why is it ok to leave it in POWER but not SNOW?

Because snow starts the car in second gear and omits first, thats all it does. It probably wouldn't hurt the transmission either, it automatically cuts the snow mode off probably to keep people from complaining about drivability issues when people forget to shut it off.

Because snow starts the car in second gear and omits first, thats all it does. It probably wouldn't hurt the transmission either, it automatically cuts the snow mode off probably to keep people from complaining about drivability issues when people forget to shut it off.

thanks for the response. i had read somewhere that using ect snow may improve gas mileage, any truth to that? i've used it quite a few times (even though it's summer and snowless here in Southern California) and found that i kind of enjoy the slower take-off from a standstill. i will stop using it if it may cause future problems, though.

thanks again!

u just keep ur on then sw03es, its not made to be on all the time or the button would not even be there, it would just be in the ect mode all the time, it puts a strain on the tranny and revs the engine to higher rpms.......see you in the tranny shop soon

The position of the ect switch doesn't necessarily cause strain on the engine or transmission. It will alter the transmission 'shift points' for a more aggressive style of driving (tranny will hold gears a bit longer, & will shift at a higher engine rpm).

You can do the same thing with the switch in 'normal' position and have the transmission 'learn' your driving style (hence the name 'Electronically Controlled Transmission'). If you have a heavy foot and floor the gas pedal when accelerating from every stop, the 'shift points' will be at a much higher rpm and the tranny and engine will take more 'abuse' also.

It really just depends upon your driving style, how much you want to put your foot into the pedal, and how much abuse you want to dish out on your vehicle.

u just keep ur on then sw03es, its not made to be on all the time or the button would not even be there, it would just be in the ect mode all the time, it puts a strain on the tranny and revs the engine to higher rpms.......see you in the tranny shop soon

Okay, then point me towards a situation where the transmission on an LS has failed because of the ECT PWR button. Or even better...point me to a situation where the transmission on an LS has failed EVER unless due to massive owner neglect or abuse? You won't find one.

The button is there because it changes the way the vehicle performs and lowers gas mileage. Its there to offer a choice of different performance styles. It does nothing but slightly, VERY slightly change the shift points and maybe holds the RPMs a couple hundred RPMs more between shifts. Its simply like driving the car with a slightly heavier foot.

It will not hurt the car to operate it in ECT PWR all the time. I did it on an LS for 165,000 miles...no problems or accelerated wear whatsoever. Never any burnt fluid. Its totally fine.

thanks for the response. i had read somewhere that using ect snow may improve gas mileage, any truth to that? i've used it quite a few times (even though it's summer and snowless here in Southern California) and found that i kind of enjoy the slower take-off from a standstill. i will stop using it if it may cause future problems, though.

I seriously doubt it would hurt anything, I don't think it will improve mileage though, in fact I'd expect the opposite.