Replacing Glass Oem Or Other

I posted this in the RX330 forum as well... probably more 330s then 350s, but not sure. Same part and issue though. Thanks!

At the movies July 4th and about 20 cars got their side windows broken. My RX 350 got hit on the front passenger side. Anyone have any recommendations about going with Lexus Glass versus 3rd party like SafeLite?

I have the door panel off and it is all cleaned up, my only worry is around color. Lexus dealer says 2 different color tints, so it depends on VIN, but price is almost the same ($400 just for glass). I can get it cheaper, so by doing it myself, it is only a little more then getting an installer out.

Anyone have a front window replaced? Were you happy with your choice?

Thanks,

A

• 1 month later...

We had our rear driver side window replaced and went with an OEM. The tint on the safelite was un-noticeably different. Why did we choose OEM? We had only owned the car for two months before it was broken into so we wanted it to be as original as possible. Does it make a difference now that we've had the car for 6 months? Only in feeling, I would say. Others have posted that the quality of the windows are different, but they can speak more to it than that. I know my window guy who works for Lexus gave me both options but agreed that getting the OEM was the right choice. In fact, he went all the way to the outer suburbs to pick up the window from another dealership so that I can get OEM.

Price? Not sure, it was covered by insurance.

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't let your insurance company replace the glass through a competent installer since its a comprehensive claim? Its a year old $45,000 vehicle...I wouldn't even consider replacing the glass myself :huh:

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't let your insurance company replace the glass through a competent installer since its a comprehensive claim? Its a year old $45,000 vehicle...I wouldn't even consider replacing the glass myself :huh:

A few reasons:

1. There is no one as meticulous as me - I want all the broken glass cleaned up and out. I have worked in many customer facing roles that had me doing high end custom work, and most of my peers wanted to get in and get out - even when being paid by the hour. No matter what anyone says they will never "treat it like it is their own". So, I will spend 3 hours scraping and vacuuming the inside of the door shell to remove every spec of glass that is stuck to the sticky film.

2. I will research first - I don't want a guy trying to remove the door panel, that doesn't know how the Lexus panel comes off and then breaking something else. It happens. Instead I opt to spend some time researching it first.

3. Timing - glass was broken on Friday July 4th. Saturday, no on had it in stock, and Sunday I was leaving town and returning Friday. Next opportunity for install was Saturday.

4. Color, Glass companies all said no problem, but Lexus showed me that there are 2 different window colors (tints) depending on VIN. I would be really *BLEEP*ed if I showed up on Saturday and they had the wrong color.

5. The insurance company pays a big company to do it... they are not a special Lexus installer and my comprehensive has a $500 deductable - the installed window never gets to this cost. I have saved so much over the years with a higher deductible that paying for this out of pocker is no big deal.

6. I have restored many cars, and changing out side windows is a piece of cake - front windshield I would have paid for

Finally, I did because I like working on cars. I bought the RX because i like a quite ride that has some power. I put on my own OEM trailer hitch and will soon install my own aftermarket stereo/BT/Nav combo.

Just because I drive an expensive car, doesn't mean I forgot where I came from or how to fix basic things. If I have the time and the skill (and the inclination), I usually do it myself.

Sorry to ramble, but you asked. :)

Aren't the OEM front side windows tinted with that "water-repel" layer from lexus?

Does the aftermarket glass you're interested in have this coating? If not, it will look pretty obvious when your other windows bead up differently than the replaced one when it rains.

I just had my rx300 windshield (which also has this repelling layer from factory) replaced with an after market glass and the lack of the repelling layer is killing me...

I'd have to suggest with SW suggested and go through insurance. Have them replace the glass with all OEM stuff just to make sure.

Oem glass is special in that it's made to reduce wind noise, reduce glare, repell water and insulate better than aftermarket glass.

Just my opinion....

I understand what you're saying, I also am extremely meticulous about my cars. However, you really should let a professional replace your glass. These guys do nothing but replace glass, and they aren't big companies. They are small independent businesspeople that grow businesses on their reputation. I have had glass replaced in Lexus cars several times.

1. There is no one as meticulous as me - I want all the broken glass cleaned up and out. I have worked in many customer facing roles that had me doing high end custom work, and most of my peers wanted to get in and get out - even when being paid by the hour. No matter what anyone says they will never "treat it like it is their own". So, I will spend 3 hours scraping and vacuuming the inside of the door shell to remove every spec of glass that is stuck to the sticky film.

Thats fine, but I still would let the professionals install the glass.

2. I will research first - I don't want a guy trying to remove the door panel, that doesn't know how the Lexus panel comes off and then breaking something else. It happens. Instead I opt to spend some time researching it first.

Get a referral from the Lexus dealer. Dealerships don't replace glass. All these companies do nothing but replace glass on hundreds of cars, they know how to remove the panel on your Lexus and re-install it properly.

4. Color, Glass companies all said no problem, but Lexus showed me that there are 2 different window colors (tints) depending on VIN. I would be really *BLEEP*ed if I showed up on Saturday and they had the wrong color.

The company tests the color of the glass when they order it. Even if you order it yourself...you still have to select the color...

5. The insurance company pays a big company to do it... they are not a special Lexus installer and my comprehensive has a $500 deductable - the installed window never gets to this cost. I have saved so much over the years with a higher deductible that paying for this out of pocker is no big deal.

Like I said, Lexus dealers dont replace glass. Get a referral from a Lexus dealer, the place they send you to will have installed glass on hundreds of Lexus vehicles.

You will be surprised how little your comprehensive deductible saves you in your insurance. Going from a $500 to $100 deductible on my comprehensive cost me like $25 a year.

Just because I drive an expensive car, doesn't mean I forgot where I came from or how to fix basic things. If I have the time and the skill (and the inclination), I usually do it myself.

I don't discount that, but you have to realize that doing things like this yourself can open you up to voided warranties, etc...

I just had my rx300 windshield (which also has this repelling layer from factory) replaced with an after market glass and the lack of the repelling layer is killing me...

Actually the windshield is not water repellant...only the side windows.

If you clay your new windshield well it should start to bead up.

But OEM glass is always the way to go...

Well,

All i can say is "to each his own".

But some clarification points:

1. This was not a warranty repair in any sense. My doing the work has no more effect then a glass company doing the work. If something fails due to that work, then it is not covered under the Lexus warranty, even if a glass company does the door glass.

2. I and many others here have put on our trailer hitch and change our oil. As much as dealers want you to believe that doing your own work will void your warranty, it will not. They have to prove negligence. This warranty issue has been upheld in many court cases over the last 75 years. You can find references on many consumer sites. Again, your warranty will not be voided by doing maintenance yourself if it does to manufacturers specs.

3. Just because Lexus says to use Frank's autoglass does NOT mean I will get a technician that has ever done a Lexus RX. I was in the service industry for years... it is very possible that the technician you get will be doing his first solo run. He could be awesome, he may not be. If the owner never hired new help and was a one man show then I agree with you, but as with all businesses, it depends on the turnover of the help. I use many small businesses whenever I can, but most things in life i do myself. If I do it, I never have to go back.

4. I have done this dozens of times on many different makes and models. I will put my skills up against any pro any day. Again, I do draw the line at the front windshield - unless it is antique that requires an insert seal - i have done a few of these and they are easy.

5. Glass color. The dealer knew the color by VIN number - they told me about the issue and showed me the colors. Lexus ordered the color based on VIN - That was easy! Every 3rd party (included the one recommended by the dealer) was not able to tell which color it was. The best they could say was "if it doesn't match we will order another". There was no option to have them see it first. I know my glass is made by PPG and not by Lexus. But going with the Lexus product, gives me a window that says "lexus" in the corner, while going with a 3rd party product would not have.

6. Insurance, if i could get a $100 deductible for $25 per year I would do it. As it is now, my premiums are great, but to lower my deductible on comprehensive would cost me a lot more. Again, I can't really complain as the $500 deductible with nice coverage is really cheap. So I will gamble, and if in 20 years I get another window broken, then I will pay for that too, and come out ahead.

What is really involved in replacing door glass is very simple:

1. remove the door panel

2 peel back water curtain

3 remove 2 screws in glass mount bar

4. Discard old glass mount bar

5. slide new glass into door

6. secure with 2 screws

7. replace door panel

This is not boring an engine or porting a head. This is equivalent to replacing the radio with an aftermarket one, but I guess there are people that would advocate having a pro do that too. Google sometime about professional stereo/video install horror stories.

So there are good pros out there, no doubt about it. But every single one of them have based the job cost on their time to do the job. When time or profit margin is taken out of the equation, more detail can be given to the job. That is why I do it. I didn't miss work, and I enjoy it, so for me it was worth it.

Let's just say we agree to disagree.

• 3 months later...

AlphaDog obviously knows his skills and his limitations.

While replacing door glass seems like a big deal to some, AD is operating from a perspective of knowledge and the task is well within his ability.

The problem with DIY auto maint. is when people are unaware of their own limitations.

SW03ES does have a good point...I would certainly not attempt a Paintless Dent Repair on a door ding myself, but would pay a guy who has done hundreds of them. Skills and experience matter in this case and skill increases over time. On the other hand, I refuse to let anyone do basic maint. to my cars because the care taken by me as the owner superseeds the "skills" of the employee. Removing a bolt and replacing it to proper spec is not an art.

A Jiffy Lube tech certainly does more oil changes in a week than I do in 50 years, but this experience in itself does not equate to value. I can perform the oil change, I will make sure any spills are cleaned up, I will put a torque wrench on my pan plug, I will use the correct oil and I will use a better quality filter.

I had my windshield replaced on my old RX300 by a company who did hundreds of these things...they used a upper seal different from the OEM Lexus part and the darned thing whistled and howled like crazy at any speed over 50mph.

~Brian

You will be surprised how little your comprehensive deductible saves you in your insurance. Going from a $500 to $100 deductible on my comprehensive cost me like $25 a year.

It would save me less than $30 a year to change mine from $50 to $500. Comprehensive claims are not counted against you the same as chargeable accidents. In most cases if the Comp loss is less than 1,000 it would not change your premium at all.

I am all for not filing small claims...but a comp claim here and there is not going to hurt you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. I personally would let a professional glass company do it that the insurance company or shop would recommend. But sound like you know what you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
AlphaDog obviously knows his skills and his limitations.

While replacing door glass seems like a big deal to some, AD is operating from a perspective of knowledge and the task is well within his ability.

The problem with DIY auto maint. is when people are unaware of their own limitations.

SW03ES does have a good point...I would certainly not attempt a Paintless Dent Repair on a door ding myself, but would pay a guy who has done hundreds of them. Skills and experience matter in this case and skill increases over time. On the other hand, I refuse to let anyone do basic maint. to my cars because the care taken by me as the owner superseeds the "skills" of the employee. Removing a bolt and replacing it to proper spec is not an art.

A Jiffy Lube tech certainly does more oil changes in a week than I do in 50 years, but this experience in itself does not equate to value. I can perform the oil change, I will make sure any spills are cleaned up, I will put a torque wrench on my pan plug, I will use the correct oil and I will use a better quality filter.

I had my windshield replaced on my old RX300 by a company who did hundreds of these things...they used a upper seal different from the OEM Lexus part and the darned thing whistled and howled like crazy at any speed over 50mph.

~Brian

Agree 100%

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did you ever get the pins out? I am doing this job this week to replace the side mirror my wife mangled. Any DIY write-ups,pics,etc?

thanks

Ray

how do you remove the door panel? it has two hidden pins, very hard to get out. I couldn't get them out without worrying about breaking them.