Replacing Glass Oem Or Other

Alphadog

At the movies July 4th and about 20 cars got their side windows broken. My RX 350 got hit on the front passenger side. Anyone have any recommendations about going with Lexus Glass versus 3rd party like SafeLite?

I have the door panel off and it is all cleaned up, my only worry is around color. Lexus dealer says 2 different color tints, so it depends on VIN, but price is almost the same ($400 just for glass). I can get it cheaper, so by doing it myself, it is only a little more then getting an installer out.

Anyone have a front window replaced? Were you happy with your choice?

Thanks,

A

At the movies July 4th and about 20 cars got their side windows broken. My RX 350 got hit on the front passenger side. Anyone have any recommendations about going with Lexus Glass versus 3rd party like SafeLite?

I have the door panel off and it is all cleaned up, my only worry is around color. Lexus dealer says 2 different color tints, so it depends on VIN, but price is almost the same ($400 just for glass). I can get it cheaper, so by doing it myself, it is only a little more then getting an installer out.

Anyone have a front window replaced? Were you happy with your choice?

Thanks,

A

A-dog- I spent my whole life in the automotive repair field and my opinion is the Lexus purists are going to tell you that nothing but Lexus glass will equal the quality of the original glass. They are probably wrong about other things too. Not all glass is created equal but Lexus does not make their own glass- somebody has to make it for them, (and whoever that is is not sitting there waiting for the Lexus order to come in to the exclusion of all others) I have dealt with Safelite (have no connection to them) and they are a very good company to deal with and all of their glass is supposed to equal the original. Having said that, if you are able to get the original Lexus glass for about the same price as Safelite installed, and that would make you happy (and have the tools and knowledge to install it), by all means go for it. It's your money and your right to spend it anyway you want to- who can fault you for that? (not all glass installers are created equal either). Good Luck! :)