Vsc & Engine Lite "07 Rx350

VSC Light & engine lite came on for no apparent reason. Live in Raleigh, NC. Is this an immediate safety issue? Is this a common problem? Is this a warranty issue for 16,500 miles? Otherwise is this only correctable at the dealer?

• 1 month later...
VSC Light & engine lite came on for no apparent reason. Live in Raleigh, NC. Is this an immediate safety issue? Is this a common problem? Is this a warranty issue for 16,500 miles? Otherwise is this only correctable at the dealer?

Take it in. They will check the code and go from there. Evap or a/f sensor codes are the most common. Since you have 16.5 k on it. It will be covered under warranty.

• 4 months later...
VSC and Engine llight on, still under warranty. No charge.

'07 Rx350: I've had the same problem ... the first time I had my Lexus dealer tell me to tighten the gas cap ... I did and the problem was resolve, even though it takes a few tanks for the light(s) to go out. Since I don't like to 'overtighten' anything, it's happened a couple of times since and retightening the gas cap and 'enduring' a few tanks of gas ... and the LIGHTS GO OUT.

Ron Pierson

When the "Check Engine" light comes on, it often causes panic--"Ohmygod my engine is about to quit--or something worse". It's not that the Engine is going to quit, it's some malfuntion in the emission control system. If the problem happens only once (say a spark-plug missfires), then after about 3-cycles of starting and driving the car, the light will go out automatically, as it did when the gas-cap was tightened correctly.

So before you panic, just drive the car for a little while and see if the light goes out--if not then get it diagnosed. Nothing critical will happen in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar issue with my 2007 RX350 with 59,900 miles on it. THe Check Engine light and the VSC light. The Lexus dealer said it had code P2195 and I needed to replace an A/F sensor. Since I was above 50,000 miles, he said it was not covered by warranty and would cost around $500 to replace. He said that as a goodwill gesture they'd split the cost with me. When I picked it up I was charged $250 for labor, plus about $37 for Hazd./Shop charges. They also had me sign a 2nd invoice so they could recoup about $220 from Lexus.

As I look back at it, I'm wondering if the charges were appropriate.

• 1 month later...
I had a similar issue with my 2007 RX350 with 59,900 miles on it. THe Check Engine light and the VSC light. The Lexus dealer said it had code P2195 and I needed to replace an A/F sensor. Since I was above 50,000 miles, he said it was not covered by warranty and would cost around $500 to replace. He said that as a goodwill gesture they'd split the cost with me. When I picked it up I was charged $250 for labor, plus about $37 for Hazd./Shop charges. They also had me sign a 2nd invoice so they could recoup about $220 from Lexus.

As I look back at it, I'm wondering if the charges were appropriate.

I literally just had this happen to me and why I became a mbr of the site. My 2007 RX350 has a little under 30,000 miles on it and all of sudden the VSC and check engine light came on. I scheduled service and then did a search online.

I kid you not, I opened the gas cap and then put it back on until I heard a couple clicks,,,,the lights went right off. So check this first and thank for all the good info!

• 3 months later...

'07 Rx350: I've had the same problem ... the first time I had my Lexus dealer tell me to tighten the gas cap ... I did and the problem was resolve, even though it takes a few tanks for the light(s) to go out. Since I don't like to 'overtighten' anything, it's happened a couple of times since and retightening the gas cap and 'enduring' a few tanks of gas ... and the LIGHTS GO OUT.

Ron Pierson

I have a 07 RX 350 went to get gas forgotten to tighten the cap and the lites came on is it ok to drive it like this?

Pam

Did you recently have an oil change or any other service work done?? On my Highlander, when the air box lid is removed to check the filter, a vacuum hose pulls out. Within a day, the lights come on. Plug the hose back in and the lights will go off within a few days.

I make sure that I check this hose every time it's serviced for anything..

It's worth a shot to check it out. Just peek around the air box with a flashlight and look for a loose hose.

I'll bet you find one..

Yes, just tighten the gas cap and drive it, the light should go out after a short period of time.

Jeff

I am afraid to drive with it like this my appointment is for tomorrow ,it better not be a lot of money, it only has 54000 that is nothing.Would not buy another Lexus! And what is a short period of time?

Did you recently have an oil change or any other service work done?? On my Highlander, when the air box lid is removed to check the filter, a vacuum hose pulls out. Within a day, the lights come on. Plug the hose back in and the lights will go off within a few days.

I make sure that I check this hose every time it's serviced for anything..

It's worth a shot to check it out. Just peek around the air box with a flashlight and look for a loose hose.

I'll bet you find one..

I took my lexus where I bought it to get a oil change and they stripped my threads on my oil pan,I had to replace the oil pan and they did a oil change then, that was July it was about 5to6weeks ago .Did your car run ok with the lites on?

Yes, just tighten the gas cap and drive it, the light should go out after a short period of time.

Jeff

I drove it today and the lites went out for about 25 mins and came back on taking it in tomorrow sick of this problem!

Jeff

I drove it today and the lites went out for about 25 mins and came back on taking it in tomorrow sick of this problem!

I took it in and they said it was the coil it was driving BAD! They paid half of the bill I thought that was good. If anybody has had this problem please let me know your story.And what is a coil?

Jeff

I am afraid to drive with it like this my appointment is for tomorrow ,it better not be a lot of money, it only has 54000 that is nothing.Would not buy another Lexus! And what is a short period of time?

Took it in today the coil went bad in it.Replaced it and I had to pay half . It really was driving bad when I took it in .What does a coil do?

Took it in today the coil went bad in it.Replaced it and I had to pay half . It really was driving bad when I took it in .What does a coil do?

I thought these cars had coil on plugs (COPs) for better reliability. Do you know what cylinder's coil they changed? The coil is a capacitor-like thing which delivers a burst of charge to the spark plug each time it is signaled by the ECU to spark. Older cars had coil packs, but I thought RX330/RX350 had a separate coil built right into the spark plug.

• 1 year later...

I just fixed my wife's 07 RX350, it was the #6 coil. Car idled poorly (intermittently), and had intermittent power problems on acceleration. I have an engine scanner and it indicated that the #6 coil was bad. I swapped the #6 coil with the #4 coil, the problem followed the coil. The updated coil from Lexus was ~$85, solved the problem and no more MIL or VSC lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron Pierson

You're supposed to tighten the gas cap until 1 click, and no further. Never had a problem on mine..

• 9 years later...

Lexus RX350 2009, Check Engine & VSC Track Off lights and Traction Control (looks like a car swerving) all acme on. I read all the posts and first thing I tried was to open and close the gas cap tightly .... that fixed it! Cancelled my appointment with Lexus and sure I saved hundreds of $. One other thing with my problem was the Tire Sensor light has been on for a few weeks and would not go out even though I checked and refilled air to the correct 30 psi all around a few times. Now since the Gas Cap reset is done and thge the other warning lights are off the Tire Sensor light has also finally turned off too!! Nice surprise.