Vvt Leak And Engline Lump Leak

naughty77

hi all

i was told few weeks back by the dealer that i have VVT leak and engine luimp leak and ihave been driving the car for weeks now. i took to a small mechasnic and he said it is not urgent.

is it a serious thing that need to be replaced. what is it and what does it do.

i hope some one familar with cars help me

many thanks again and again for this forum

..."vvt leak" doesn't really mean anything, my best guess is he means the cam seal or valve cover gasket. if this is the case, as long as you keep your oil topped up it won't do any permanent damage. the cam seal is usually changed with the timing belt, so if you're overdue for one just have them all taken care of together. keep an eye on your oil level and get it fixed sooner than later. there's no harm in having it leak slowly if you don't run your engine dry, but there is a slight risk that a small leak could turn into a big leak while you're driving without your knowledge, you run the car dry and then you'd be boned.

as far as an engine "lump" leak, again it doesn't mean anything. there's an oil sump, my best guess for this one would be that he means the oil drain pan gasket is leaking. he could also mean your water pump, again replaced with the timing belt as it's in the same area.

if any mechanic told you, in exact words, that there was a "VVT leak" and an "engine lump leak" I wouldn't go back to them. ever. was this a Lexus dealer?

it sounds like your car is probably due for a timing belt, water pump, cam/crank seal job (don't forget the pulleys!). how many miles does it have?

..."vvt leak" doesn't really mean anything, my best guess is he means the cam seal or valve cover gasket. if this is the case, as long as you keep your oil topped up it won't do any permanent damage. the cam seal is usually changed with the timing belt, so if you're overdue for one just have them all taken care of together. keep an eye on your oil level and get it fixed sooner than later. there's no harm in having it leak slowly if you don't run your engine dry, but there is a slight risk that a small leak could turn into a big leak while you're driving without your knowledge, you run the car dry and then you'd be boned.

as far as an engine "lump" leak, again it doesn't mean anything. there's an oil sump, my best guess for this one would be that he means the oil drain pan gasket is leaking. he could also mean your water pump, again replaced with the timing belt as it's in the same area.

if any mechanic told you, in exact words, that there was a "VVT leak" and an "engine lump leak" I wouldn't go back to them. ever. was this a Lexus dealer?

it sounds like your car is probably due for a timing belt, water pump, cam/crank seal job (don't forget the pulleys!). how many miles does it have?

Thanks a lot

He was not a Lexsus dealer.

i have the timing and related stuff changed 3000 miles ago.

the mechanic is useless. the same place, i went there that AC was not cooling and hes said i need to replace the Ac condensor which costed me 300 USD (the part) and then when i ask him are you sure there is no other leak in the AC cooling system he says i canot. he rips people money.

things are difficut and things happen the hard way for me.

i will check the oil level soon.

cheers