Rx 330 Snow Tires

laurak

I have a 2004 Rx 330 with 17 inch rims. I am very disappionted with the snow handling compared to my last mercedes e320 4matic. I am hoping this is because of a lack of snow tires. I am bewildered by the choice/ and lack of choice in snows for this vehicle.

The dealer reccommends snows with rims at $2700.

A local dealer says I can go to 16 inch wheels and get steel wheels and snows for $849.

Most tire retailers are unable to accomodate my wheels. I hav Michelin 225/64/r17 now.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the $2700 rims and tires the OEM 18" rims and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 winter tires? If the tires are around $520 ($130 x 4), then those rims are $545 each :o That's a little too much for dedicated snow tire rims. If that were the case, then I'd look for aftermarket 18" wheels close to OEM spec: 18" x 7", +35 offset, 5 bolts 114.3mm (4.5in).

For what it's worth, I'm getting a set of 235/65R17 Dunlop GrandTrek Winter M2 for $1000+tax (CDN).

I had asked Lexus about snow tires and they said the following:

If your 2004 RX330 is equipped with a 225/65/17 tire as standard equipment, the following winter tires can be purchased through the Lexus Tire Centre program:

Tire Tire SIZE Manufacturer Product code

Dunlop Winter Sport M2 235/65/17 264-034-645

Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 235/65/17 264-133-145

Michelin Pilot Alpin 235/65/17 72142

You will need to contact a Lexus dealership to obtain prices, and to order the tires through the Lexus Tire Centre program. We would also like to advise you that unfortunately there are no 17" STEEL winter rims that fit the RX330. They will not fit because of the RX330's brake calipers.

• 3 years later...
For what it's worth, I'm getting a set of 235/65R17 Dunlop GrandTrek Winter M2 for $1000+tax (CDN).

If your 2004 RX330 is equipped with a 225/65/17 tire as standard equipment, the following winter tires can be purchased through the Lexus Tire Centre program:

You will need to contact a Lexus dealership to obtain prices, and to order the tires through the Lexus Tire Centre program. We would also like to advise you that unfortunately there are no 17" STEEL winter rims that fit the RX330. They will not fit because of the RX330's brake calipers.

Both Tire Rack and my local Lexus dealer do not recommend sizing up to 235/65-17 Blizzaks for my 2005 RX330. I have not been able to locate anything except Nokian SUV5 winter tires in the OEM size of 225/65-17. Does anyone have any suggestions for an available winter tire that would excel on snow and ice?

• 3 weeks later...

Bridgestone sent my Blizzak DM-Z3s. The snow and ice traction on the RX330 is far superior to the stock all-season tires. The tire dealer and I were surprised that the tires arrived in 2 weeks, as promised by Bridgestone. TireRack and others have not been as lucky.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

When I bought the RX (2004 RX 330), it came with upgraded 18" rims with 235 - 55/18 tires

I am thinkng of putting snow tires on it and found a set of steel rims at a local repair shop. They said that according to their computer the 17" steel rim should fit the RX.

So, can I install 17" rims and install 225 65/17 on it (these are the std tires and rim size the RX comes with. But, in my case I am going down to samller rim size just for winter and then install my original 18s in summer?

Thanks,

Asim

Hello,

When I bought the RX (2004 RX 330), it came with upgraded 18" rims with 235 - 55/18 tires

I am thinkng of putting snow tires on it and found a set of steel rims at a local repair shop. They said that according to their computer the 17" steel rim should fit the RX.

So, can I install 17" rims and install 225 65/17 on it (these are the std tires and rim size the RX comes with. But, in my case I am going down to samller rim size just for winter and then install my original 18s in summer?

Thanks,

Asim

Yes, the 225/65-17 tires and wheels should work fine. Your speedometer will read 1.206% slower but that is well within the acceptable range. You can check for yourself with this tire size calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just put a set of Firsestone Winterforce snowtires on my ES330. I bought them mounted on a set of nice looking MSW silver painted mag style wheels for $750 from tirerack. That included everything including delivery. I did put them on the car myself. Very good price compared to the very expensive lines but what sold me was the user reviews. Having driven on them for awhile, I am very impressed.

Can anyone recommend a tire dealer in Toronto, Canada for my 2009 RX350? The only price I've gotten is $1600 CAD all in for the DMZ3 on 17" alloys.

ohboiya.....is that price for both wheels & tires?

What tire size do you need.....I might be able to help you out with at least the tires. Let me know. ;)

:cheers:

wheels, tires, mounting, balancing and delivery. They are already on the car.

you have tires?

Can you post pics of the wheels?

I don't have my winters on yet....I just got them delivered yesterday (appointment at the Lexus dealer for the 17th)....Toyo Garit KX - 215 55 17.....and I bought a set of 'take off' 2008 IS 250 AWD wheels.

:cheers:

I went with some Kumho winter tires from a Firestone Dealer for about $1000 cdn installed onto my stock 18 inch rims... I was well impressed with the performance, as we just went through a snow fall of 2 feet, and it did great.

In the spring I am going to switch back to all seasons, which I already have for a cost of about $150 for the switch (including balancing...)

In my case I love the 18 inch rims too much, so paying for the $150 to switch is not a big deal as I would rather do that, than roll on some steal rims... (a bit of a style byte, in my opinion)

• 2 years later...

This sounds serious..

I just had 17' multifit steel rim installed on my RX330...

with 4 "225/65R17 LATITUDE X-ICE 102T BSW 21499"

Will that work??

I tested them under 120km/h, feels stable..

• 8 months later...
wheels, tires, mounting, balancing and delivery. They are already on the car.

you have tires?

Can you post pics of the wheels?

I don't have my winters on yet....I just got them delivered yesterday (appointment at the Lexus dealer for the 17th)....Toyo Garit KX - 215 55 17.....and I bought a set of 'take off' 2008 IS 250 AWD wheels.

cheers.gif

I have a video of them called Winter Sneakers on youtube. Never had much luck posting pictures here.

• 2 months later...

If you're committed to two sets of tires for seasonal driving, you definitely want two sets of wheels and avoid changing tires on one set of rims. I used to have two sets of wheels, but now use a single year-round tire. You should be able to find an acceptable all-season tire for your RX. I'd look into Michelin LTXs and Cross-Terrains. In any case, $2700 for a set of wheels is way to spendy.