Rim Downsize For Rx 400h?

Does anyone know if you can downsize 1" to 17" for rims/steelies?

I want to get a set of winter tires on rims/steelies for my 400h so I don't have to remount the tires on the factory rims every winter/spring.

Also, what size, brand, speed rating tire are you using for your winters?

Thanks,

Are you looking to save money by downsizing? Steel wheels will most likely add a significant amount of weight (even in 17-inch wheel sized), resulting in a harsher ride and accelerated wearing of the brake pads. Why not buy a new set of 18-inchers?

Are you looking to save money by downsizing? Steel wheels will most likely add a significant amount of weight (even in 17-inch wheel sized), resulting in a harsher ride and accelerated wearing of the brake pads. Why not buy a new set of 18-inchers?

You forgot to mention unsprung weight. When you add unsprung weight it makes a big diffrence in ride in handeling. Also the change in diadeter will effect the indicated speed so the speedometer will not indicate the correct speed. This may cause the computer select the wrong gear ration. I am assuming that even with the CV transmission the computer must still select a ratio based on speed.

17" shouldn't be a problem. The standard size for the RX400h is 225/65/SR17, but you rarely ever see them, since they're all ordered with the optional 18" size.

I was told that all RX hybrids had special wheels to set them apart from non-hybrids, I don't thing it is a dealer, I think all hybrids come that way from the factory

You forgot to mention unsprung weight. When you add unsprung weight it makes a big diffrence in ride in handeling. Also the change in diadeter will effect the indicated speed so the speedometer will not indicate the correct speed. This may cause the computer select the wrong gear ration. I am assuming that even with the CV transmission the computer must still select a ratio based on speed.

I guess I assumed that if he bought 17s, he'd also get a higher-profile tire so that the overall diameter would be the same. Still, I'd hesitate to go from aluminum to steel wheels, just for the ride quality reduction.

Maybe some are missing the point. If I'm reading the O.P. correctly, they simply want to do what we did w/ our 400h. We got chincy ugly steel buggy wheels just to mount 4 studded tires on. In harsh winter ice driving, weight, beauty, best ride and mpg are not the over riding factors, rather traction. The location in the OP's avatar shows Canada, so I'm guessing they deal w/ a good amount of slick ice, as we've had to do on a couple winters. We didn't have to go down 1" with our ugly steel wheels as there is plenty of room as is. Note, we didn't look for 'cool' steel rims, as winter driving in the north is not about 'cool' ... except for the temps :P . That said there is a member here that actually installed appx. 1" taller tires on the stock 400h rims w/ no harm.