2002 Es 300 Won't Shift To Drive

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this forum and after briefly searching around I see that there seems to be many issues with the transmission. I recently went to the lexus dealer for an oil change in the washington dc area and after i picked up my car noticed that it would not shift into drive. I took it right back and the dealer said that i needed a new shifter and it was "coincidence" that the problem happened during my oil change. i highly doubt that and probably won't go back to that dealer, but does anyone have advice as to if there is a way to fix this problem or do I have to get an entirely new shifter. Many thanks in advance.

02es300

you confused me a little.

If it won't shift in to drive, how did you get it out of the dealership?

Or did this occur after you got it home? Are you able to shift out of "P"?, if not then that may just be the brake lock switch.

Can you shift into "R" or "4"?

Is the warranty up, or is it a CPO? Is the dealership covering the cost of the new shifter?

steviej

Or did this occur after you got it home? Are you able to shift out of "P"?, if not then that may just be the brake lock switch.

Is the warranty up, or is it a CPO? Is the dealership covering the cost of the new shifter?

steviej

Thanks for the reply. It will shift out of P but when the Shift lever is in the "D" position the LCD will display "4". Also noticed that driving at highway speeds the rpms are higher than it normally would be. I think I'm going to take it to a family friend who's mechanic tomorrow to see what the error might be; hopefully I don't need an entirely new shifter. I realized that my initial post was a little incoherent because I was not to pleased by the response "coincidence" I got from my dealership. Car isn't under warranty or CPO and has about 90k.

steviej

Thanks for the reply. It will shift out of P but when the Shift lever is in the "D" position the LCD will display "4". Also noticed that driving at highway speeds the rpms are higher than it normally would be. I think I'm going to take it to a family friend who's mechanic tomorrow to see what the error might be; hopefully I don't need an entirely new shifter. I realized that my initial post was a little incoherent because I was not to pleased by the response "coincidence" I got from my dealership. Car isn't under warranty or CPO and has about 90k.

if you shift it to the "4" position does the LCD stop flashing?

The higher rpm suggests that it is not shifting into overdrive (5th gear).

have the codes read....Autozone will do it for free.

steviej

Which dealer did you take it to?

Honestly it doesn't make sense that the dealer would have done anything to it to cause that problem. During an oil change they don't come in contact with any components that have anything to do with the transmission.

The "transmission issue" you've heard of on this model is a throttle lag when accelerating immediately after decelerating. It has nothing to do with failure, and in fact I've never heard of the transmission on a 02-06 ES failing.

Thanks for the replies. Steviej, I'm going to go to a mechanic family knows and have him look at it. I described the same thing over the phone and he said it sounds like a shifter cable/switch problem but to bring it in to make sure.

Steve, I went to the pohanka lexus in chantilly. I know of the hesitation problem and I don't really have an issue with that. It's just before I got my oil change I had five gears and now only four. When the floor shifter is in the "D" position it'll never make it to 5th/overdrive. The car acts the exact same if the shifter is in "4" or "D" and the instrument panel LED indicator stays on "4" for both cases. I just found it strange how the one hour it was in for the oil change this could occur (and I do realize they shouldn't be messing with anything else). I'm confident this didn't occur before either; it's pretty obvious driving at highway speeds that I'm missing the last gear.

The thing that has me irked more so than this problem was the fact that the dealership kept on saying it was just coincidence and never a mistake on their part (maybe a liability issue) and then gave me a ridiculous quote to replace the entire shifter assembly/labor.

Andy

I only have experience with Pohanka's sales department, and that was negative enough.

If you want to take it to Rockville I have a very good guy there.

I'm sure it wasn't anything the dealer did, and of course they're not going to admit any fault.

im new to the forum(never posted atleast) but my es is doing the same thing. move the lever to D and 4 shows on the display. i recently bought this in a private sale and the guy i got it from told me that somehow the ABS module got unplugged, and then this started. i went to the dealership and they told me there wasnt anything they could do except to diagnose it. i asked about reflashing the computer and he said they dont do that there. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Just wanted to give an update on this. Turns out a switch/cable was messed up and I had it replaced by a family friend who's a mechanic. He said it was awkward how this could have happened during an oil change (or rather the time elapsed at the dealership during the oil change) but mistreatment of the car could have caused the problem. Anyways, had it replaced and fixed for less than half of the price which was quoted to me at the dealership. Talk about a mark up. Thanks for all of the advice.

P.S. I decided I needed to get my hands dirty and get into the nitty gritty and learn to maintain this car myself so I can only blame myself for mishaps/mistakes :P in the future haha

You should report this to the original dealership that told you that the shifter was in need of replacement.

Then inform them that you will be taking you business to another dealership. In the same breathe, you need to ask them for the Lexus regional representative's name and phone number (just to make them nervous).

steviej

• 5 years later...

Just wanted to give an update on this. Turns out a switch/cable was messed up and I had it replaced by a family friend who's a mechanic. He said it was awkward how this could have happened during an oil change (or rather the time elapsed at the dealership during the oil change) but mistreatment of the car could have caused the problem. Anyways, had it replaced and fixed for less than half of the price which was quoted to me at the dealership. Talk about a mark up. Thanks for all of the advice.

P.S. I decided I needed to get my hands dirty and get into the nitty gritty and learn to maintain this car myself so I can only blame myself for mishaps/mistakes tongue.gif in the future haha

Hi I have the same issue could you

tell me me what exact part please alan 805 501 6382 orabrook8@aol.com

There is a shift cable assembly on the front of the transmission. If the assemblies mounting bolts loosen the shift could be out of wack.