Air Ride Conversion Kit

Bryan N

Hello,

I have a 95 LS400 that is low on the driver's side rear. When i stop the car, I can sometimes hear air hissing from this shock. After researching the cost of replacing this air ride strut/shock and realizing that the other 3 can not be that far behind in their need for replacing.. I started looking into converting from the air ride system to conventional shocks. Has anyone done this and what do you think about the ride of the conventional shocks as opposed to the air ride? Also, where did you purchase your shock conversion kit?

I am currently looking at the following kit:

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lexus-pag...version-kit.htm

Thanks for your help,

Bryan Norfleet

BMW used a hydraulic rear suspension on E38 and E32 models and I know some of the guys who went back on to the standard suspension (mainly E32s) said there was a definite difference in handling in the back when the standard stuff was put in.

I am not sure how this compares to the LS but my guess is for the better. Those bags seem to cause a lot of body roll and make for poor handling. I would also replace a lot of other suspension stuff when you're doing it and that should really improve the ride.

I plan on dropping the front struts to put lowering springs on my 97 BMW. I was quoted more than I want to pay to have it done and the hard part it seems is compressing the springs. Taking the shock out is about 30 mins.

Let us know how this goes. You are the first one in awhile to do this I think.

I also need to do this. I have a 95 with the driver side rear gone out, it looks like it is sitting on the tire. The drivers side front also appears to be low. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am wondering if this could be the cause of the car shaking when I get above 60 mph. I was told I also need front ball joints and strut rods replaced. The tires have not been rotated and balanced for about 6k miles either.

I also need to do this. I have a 95 with the driver side rear gone out, it looks like it is sitting on the tire. The drivers side front also appears to be low. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am wondering if this could be the cause of the car shaking when I get above 60 mph. I was told I also need front ball joints and strut rods replaced. The tires have not been rotated and balanced for about 6k miles either.

anything with vibration.. i would try the tires first, it is cheaper to start with and yea 6k miles is about the time to re rotate them too.. good luck...

Here is an update:

I tried to order rear struts from Suncore yesterday. I was told that they were in stock and I ordered them. I was given a confirmation number and told that they would ship today (7/08). On 7/08, I received a call stating that the struts are on indefinite backorder and asked if I could send my struts in and they would rebuild them. I declined and was told about using a conversion kit.

I am leaning towards going with the Strutmaster's conversion kit even though I would love to keep the air ride. I will keep this post updated.

anything with vibration.. i would try the tires first, it is cheaper to start with and yea 6k miles is about the time to re rotate them too.. good luck...