Beware Of Your Gas Tank. I Just Got Robbed.

LexChamp

1995 LS

I put $73.00 dollars of mid gas yesterday at $4.59 per gallon; I had the tank full. This afternoon when I got home from work I notice the gas tank was well below the half tank mark. I checked the door of the gas tank and I did not see any sign of force entry; I don't see a leak or smell any gas. My only reasonable guess is that someone had to funnel the gas out. I only drove from home to work and it's less than 3 miles. This had to happenned in front of my house last night. There is no way it could have happenned at work.

I've looked in ebay and will be ordering a gas cap with a lock for about $30.00 with shipping. Definetly worth it. They got me for more than $60.00 easily. I will also be notifying the police. Maybe someone else around here may have been robbed too.

How easy is to open the gas tank as it is ? is it that easy ?

Damn criminals. Sorry to hear, but be thankful they didn't damage anything - rather get some gas siphoned than have them smash a window looking for something to steal. This is the first I've heard of this, but I can't really say I'm suprised.

Two things to worry about, beware of non factory gas caps, I put one on my Jeep a few years ago and it cost me $100 for the dealer service department to tell me it was setting off enging trouble code warning lights.

You are lucky it wasn't worst because some crooks will put a pan under your car and take a screwdriver and poke a hole in the bottom of the tank whan they come across a locked cap

Two things to worry about, beware of non factory gas caps, I put one on my Jeep a few years ago and it cost me $100 for the dealer service department to tell me it was setting off enging trouble code warning lights.

You are lucky it wasn't worst because some crooks will put a pan under your car and take a screwdriver and poke a hole in the bottom of the tank whan they come across a locked cap

And if you're driving an suv, they'll take your cats while they're there.

:censored:

it's entirely possible that there's a short in your dash and the fuel gauge is incorrect. very common on 1st gens, not so sure about 2nds.

or your float could be stuck. try to fill it up again and see if it takes more than 2 gallons.

So, if you lock them out will they then drill your tank? Bad times we are aheading for.............

This sounds more like fear mongering and urban legend than truth. Think about it, if you are out in a parking lot siphoning gas, and come across a car with a locked cap, are you more likely to a) slide under the car, break out the trusty heavy duty drill you always carry around, and drain the gas that way or B) move on to the next car.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but you'd have to be a pretty stupid criminal to choose a.

So, if you lock them out will they then drill your tank? Bad times we are aheading for.............

This sounds more like fear mongering and urban legend than truth. Think about it, if you are out in a parking lot siphoning gas, and come across a car with a locked cap, are you more likely to a) slide under the car, break out the trusty heavy duty drill you always carry around, and drain the gas that way or B) move on to the next car.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but you'd have to be a pretty stupid criminal to choose a.

So true. I'm sure they go after the Suburbans with 30 gallon gas tanks than ours.

Though you'd expect ours to actually have gas in it, so I can see the logic in that too.