05 Gx Vs. 04 Range Rover

rwallican

So I informed my buddy that I was in the market for a GX470. He says look at the 2004 Range Rovers. I don't know a lot about these vehicles. I see that they are around the same price. Actually, Lexus is a little higher. All I know is that I see a lot of entertainers/athletes driving these. Anyone have experience with them? I've seen some bad reviews online. My buddy bought his brand new in 04 and hasn't had one problem out of it in over 60k miles. I like the way they look.

So I informed my buddy that I was in the market for a GX470. He says look at the 2004 Range Rovers. I don't know a lot about these vehicles. I see that they are around the same price. Actually, Lexus is a little higher. All I know is that I see a lot of entertainers/athletes driving these. Anyone have experience with them? I've seen some bad reviews online. My buddy bought his brand new in 04 and hasn't had one problem out of it in over 60k miles. I like the way they look.

Welcome to the forum! Lexus will definitely sell for a higher price than any Range Rover because Toyota and Lexus have a very good resale value (unless the vehicle is salvaged title). I have not personally experienced a Range Rover myself, but I know those vehicles are problematic cars. Mr friend test drove a brand new RR back a few years ago before he got his ML55 AMG and that brand new Range already had a broken a/c!! :wacko:

The GX also has problems of its own, don't get me wrong, but it is way less and a lot easier and cheaper to fix the minor problems that u may encounter in a used Gx than a used Range Rover. ;)

You are really talking about 2 trucks at the different end of the reliability rating chart. The GX470 being in the top 10 and the Rover being near the bottom. If reliebility is not an issue or you have a second car and alot of soare time you can spend at the Rover dealer, then go for the Range Rover. Also, the Range Rover dealer service is terrible. There sales department treats you like a king, but once you bought the car from them, its all down hill from there. Again, Lexus dealers are rated near the top as far as customer service.

Anyone who purchases a Range Rover should reserve some cash to hire a 24-hour tow truck to follow you around at all times. We've had two in our extended family over the past five years and both of them were pushed out the garage bays inside of three years. One of them had a sticker price pushing $85 grand, but it didn't matter. The vehicle was still a dog....

I've read that over and over again online and in Consumer Reports. I think I'm going to stick with the GX. I even called a dealer on it and spoke with the head service guy. He said, "if you get one, make sure it has a warranty". He said people buy them because of their name and the status they hold, not for reliability. He said that they aren't bad cars, they just require a lot of maintenance????? Never understood that line! I currently have a 96 LS400 that's been nothing but a joy. I've put 100k miles on it myself with no issues. I'll keep it as my 2nd vehicle. Thanks.