Water In Engine Ls400 - Does This Car Know It ?

Zdeno

I noticed, that from my 1991 LS 400 going more smog from exhaust. I dont know if it is normal or not. I have volvo 740 too, but there is not to much smog like from lexus. It is white smog. But I think if the water come to the engine the computer has to know it and the engine light has to be on dash, Am I right ??? It can be from weather, because here in southern CA is much colder weather by this week, but I´m not sure. When the car is cold it is normal that the more smog going from exhaust, but I thought when the car is hot the smog has to be done :-( :-( :-(

When a gallon of gasoline is burned, about one pound of water is produced, which among other things leaves at the tailpipe of course. A large exhaust system will condense this water to visible vapour on its way to the tailpipe until the system heats up fully, when the vapour leaves the tailpipe invisibly. The LS has a huge exhaust system, and there will be times when the vapour is condensed even after a long drive. Here on the west coast of Canada a twenty mile trip is not enough sometimes. If the exhaust smells normal, then it isn't antifreeze causing it. When a head gasket does admit coolant to the combustion chamber the exhaust odour is changed for the worse. Smells terrible, and you can't mistake it.

I noticed as it gets colder, the 400 seems to put out a lot of vapor out of the chrome tipped duel exhausts. Although it is more than you might expect, I attribute this to the high idle speed at startup. It's normal. You will smell coolant burning with a sickly sweet smell that is quite obvious is there is a problem.