Who Is Happy With Their Rx

Pickupmanx2

My fiancee has an '03 RX 300 and he has had absolutely no problems with it. It's nearing 80,000 miles and the only thing that he's had done to it is regular oil changes, tires, battery and the passenger-side front window adjusted. I loved driving his vehicle so much that I sold my '04 IS 300 and bought a Certified Used '05 RX330. Granted, I've only had it for a week, but it's such a dream to drive. I'm feeling a slight hesitation in the transmission, but I understand that this is inherent with the vehicle. I'll probably bring it in to the dealer to have that checked out, but other then that I'm very pleased with my purchase. Time will tell if anything else comes up and I'll be sure to let you all know if that ever occurs.

I've always kept all of my vehicles well-maintained....I really feel that's the key to keeping your car driving into the triple digits. I highly recommend the RX!

05 rx 330 bought as CPO with 40000 miles on it, now we have 65k miles. During that time, had transmission replaced (had whining noise on accel and was diagnosed as tranny failure) Since then the transmission shifts great! no hesitation like it had before, downshifts nicely with a tap of the accelerator for passing. Also had part of exhaust system changed (sulfur smell ) including cat converter. Had A/C worked on (compressor replaced?) as it whined at 1400 rpm, very noticeable (I think tsb on it) Current problem is rear hatch sometimes doesn't come up...but intermittent of course and never when at the dealership. All repairs covered under warranty with loaner vehicle. Service has been good to us, and despite the problems, I'd have to say the car is nice. We will keep it for awhile. Now my wife's favorite car...first luxury car we've owned with nav/camera etc so it's spoiled her.

Semper Fi pickupmanx2

I have a 99 RX300 with 101k miles. Best car I ever owned. Just did the 100k timing belt and water pump change. Engine and tranny no problems, runs like a dream, and still looks great. I'm looking to drive this till 175k which seems very reasonable.

Buzz

Purchased a 2002 RX 300 AWD and would have to say it's been a great car with no major problems. Service is done at our local dealership after a mishap with at a mom and pop oil change place *knocks on wood*.

My only knock on the Lexus would be the key fob. I've had to replace the key casing three times at $67 a pop. It's a good thing because if I lost the key it would have been $199.

My wifes 2002 RX300 (black/tan int) has been very good to us since buying it pre-owned from dealer in '04. It's great for the kids and all their stuff, and for me humping supplies form the hardware/garden stores on weekends. New tires and new brakes recently, running smooth at 70k. Was considering trading it in for a 05 or 06'. She just nailed the side mirror on the garage door and thats why I came on here, to see if it is an easy do-it-yourself fix, the mirror is 40 bucks online..anyways we luv the suv. regular unleaded...regular synthetic oil changes from jiffylube and never serviced by dealer just good local service station **KnockKnock**

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2000 RX 300 2wd with 144,000 miles and we have been very pleased with it. We also have a 2006 RX 330 2wd with around 44,000 miles and are very pleased with it as well. We sold our 96 ES 300 to our daughter a few years ago and it is still running strong with over 200,000 miles.

1999 RX300 - Reading all these tranny problems scares me too. I don't drive it too much (my wife's vehicle). At 110K I noticed that the rpm rev's up to 3300 before changing gears, upon first starting cold, and the first gear is rough. There-after, it rev's to the usual 2000rpm and changes fine. I guess it's the begining of the end. (One payment left too)

A posting indicated, upon first starting cold, make sure the engine is warmed up before driving off - approx 4 min. I have not had problems since. It loves the highway (and gasoline). Best I've owned...However, my last vehicle was a 1989 Jimmy with 300K (but no tranny repairs!)

Ok, just bought an 05 RX330, also have a 90 ES250, it seems I see mostly problems in the posts, are these good vehicles, and is everyone satisfied with theirs?!

We are

What kind of problems are you having with your post? I bought a new RX330 in 2006, and I can honestly say this is the finest automobile I have ever owned.

I have about 124K miles on my 2000 RX300 and happy with it. No major problems, just usual expected maintanance to deal with on occassion.

Only minor problem is the antenna doesn't come up and the LED light that indicate you car is in "drive" doesn't come on.

• 2 months later...
Ok, just bought an 05 RX330, also have a 90 ES250, it seems I see mostly problems in the posts, are these good vehicles, and is everyone satisfied with theirs?!

We are

2005 RX 330, and happy, indeed. Drives like a charm. A SUV that drives like a sports car... only problem rear drivers door actuator... had that fixed for about $200, as I was able to locate a used one... but the positives far out way the negative.

• 3 weeks later...
Purchased a 2002 RX 300 AWD and would have to say it's been a great car with no major problems. Service is done at our local dealership after a mishap with at a mom and pop oil change place *knocks on wood*.

My only knock on the Lexus would be the key fob. I've had to replace the key casing three times at $67 a pop. It's a good thing because if I lost the key it would have been $199.

One of our keys broke - the plastic housing cracked open and the internal pieces are gone. My wife swears she didn't see it happen, the parts just fell out - although she only used the key to back the vehicle out of the garage. I still have the key - but need a new housing with the remote components and the part that allows the key to start the vehicle. Is this the same situation that you experienced? I am afraid to call the dealer - but we need a second key. How did you get by so cheap at $67?

I like mine; wish it didn't have the stigma of being a ladies car and the stigma that happens when owning the cheapest car in the line up

Well, if this is the same Triplecore who advocates leaving the car running while filling with gas, just keep that up and you won't have any more stigmas to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...

I practically stole a 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 with only 18,000 miles on it last Friday afternoon. We acquired it to offload some of the miles that my wife racks up on her 2004 RX330, now pushing 86,000 miles. Believe it or not this Jag gets excellent reviews, is a real highway cruiser, has tremendous power and quickness, drives like a dream, averages 24 to 26 mpg, and is one of the most beautiful sedans on the road. Jaguar's long history of quirky reliability scared me away until now but I did the research, learned that this is indeed a great car, and stole it from the local Jag dealer with the help of the terrible economy combined with zero traffic in the showroom because of the Christmas holidays. The factory warranty runs until mid-July 2009 so I'll have plenty of time to shake it down and get familiar with it by the time it's maintenance falls 100% to me. This is definitely a different animal from a care-and-feeding perspective and I definitely have a lot to learn, but what a fun car to drive and it's quite the headturner as well....

This Jag was a 36-month corporate lease vehicle in Fort Lauderdale. It obviously belonged to a high-ranking hotshot who flies a lot more often than he drives. The car is perfect and spotless with stellar maintenance records....

My wife has all but abandoned her RX330. It has sat in our driveway ever since she drove the Jag home on Friday. There's absolutely no comparison in terms of power, comfort, quietness, road manners, and style - the Jag wins hands down in all of those categories. Her attitude is "Lexus - what Lexus? I'll drive the Jag, thank you very much." We'll see where this story goes from here on out....

The high depreciation rates for Jaguar helped me out tremendously in this deal, along with the terrible economy. In a nutshell, I bought what was a $49,000 car new in 2005 for "Honda money" ($17,000). I'm happy with the deal. My wife is in love with the car. Time will tell whether I can step up to the plate from a DIY maintenance perspective. I'm counting on it, so we'll see how it goes....

I like mine; wish it didn't have the stigma of being a ladies car and the stigma that happens when owning the cheapest car in the line up

Well, if this is the same Triplecore who advocates leaving the car running while filling with gas, just keep that up and you won't have any more stigmas to worry about.

Don't forget about the stigma of posting in the wrong forum:-)

The high depreciation rates for Jaguar helped me out tremendously in this deal, along with the terrible economy. In a nutshell, I bought what was a $49,000 car new in 2005 for "Honda money" ($17,000). I'm happy with the deal. My wife is in love with the car. Time will tell whether I can step up to the plate from a DIY maintenance perspective. I'm counting on it, so we'll see how it goes....

Wow, that IS a steal. A colleague of mine has this same Jag and I agree that its a fine car, I think you'll find it to be pretty well made as well.

I have owned 3 RX's:

1999 RX300 AWD

2003 RX300 AWD with Nav

2006 RX400h AWD with Nav and RSES

I think that each RX gets better and better. I honestly look for a vehicle that offers more for the same money, and I can't find one.

The only major issue I have had was a weak door lock actuator on the driver door of the 2003 RX. It was a fairly expensive part ($230 iirc) and was a PITA to replace.

I like the RX. :)

Sure, it may be a bit of a chick-car, but it certainly isn't a VW bug convertable or anything.

I practically stole a 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 with only 18,000 miles on it last Friday afternoon. We acquired it to offload some of the miles that my wife racks up on her 2004 RX330, now pushing 86,000 miles. Believe it or not this Jag gets excellent reviews, is a real highway cruiser, has tremendous power and quickness, drives like a dream, averages 24 to 26 mpg, and is one of the most beautiful sedans on the road. Jaguar's long history of quirky reliability scared me away until now but I did the research, learned that this is indeed a great car, and stole it from the local Jag dealer with the help of the terrible economy combined with zero traffic in the showroom because of the Christmas holidays. The factory warranty runs until mid-July 2009 so I'll have plenty of time to shake it down and get familiar with it by the time it's maintenance falls 100% to me. This is definitely a different animal from a care-and-feeding perspective and I definitely have a lot to learn, but what a fun car to drive and it's quite the headturner as well....

This Jag was a 36-month corporate lease vehicle in Fort Lauderdale. It obviously belonged to a high-ranking hotshot who flies a lot more often than he drives. The car is perfect and spotless with stellar maintenance records....

My wife has all but abandoned her RX330. It has sat in our driveway ever since she drove the Jag home on Friday. There's absolutely no comparison in terms of power, comfort, quietness, road manners, and style - the Jag wins hands down in all of those categories. Her attitude is "Lexus - what Lexus? I'll drive the Jag, thank you very much." We'll see where this story goes from here on out....

If you are at all concerned, you may be able to buy an extended warranty before the end of the original. However, I know a number of people who have owned S-type Jags, in Europe and the US, and none have had problems, inlcuding the high-mileage (65K miles) ones. I also think the car has lots of 'class'. Claudia (my 'other' half) find sthe car too small, uncomfortable etc..., so we never got one though we were offered tehm at very good prices, low miles (like you). I think it has the feel of a 'classic', even though it is obviously not one. Congratulations, and good luck!

Paul

Extended warranties are available from multiple sources, and the Jaguar business manager took a shot at trying to sell me one before we left the dealership on Friday afternoon (along with special Jaguar windshield treatments, undercoating, window tinting, leather protectant, and I think there was even a mention of Jaguar port wine and spaghetti sauce). I politely declined. I never went to bed Thursday night because I spent all night doing my research on the car. What I've determined is if you have a 1999 to 2003 S-Type, you may want to consider an extended warranty primarily because of the Ford transmission in those vehicles. But Jaguar learned their lesson and beginning with the 2004 model year, they built the S-Type using the vaunted German ZF sealed 6-speed transmission that has been bulletproof for many years. It is so lifetime-guaranteed that it doesn't even have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid with. Just leave it alone and drive the car....

Thanks for your good wishes, guys, and we'll see how this experiment goes. As I said, I have a lot to learn from a Jaguar maintenance perspective, but I've found and posted on a Jaguar forum similar to this one and long-time Jag owners are coming out of the woodwork telling me that I've bought an essentially proven and trouble-free car as long as the routine maintenance is properly carried out. All of the so-called "experts" at cars.com and Powers say the same thing, along with the fact that this car is basically a steal for the money as long as you buy it at least two model years old....

I'll try to keep you posted for those who are interested....

And finally, if you want or need a car, I've never seen a better time to buy one since I started driving in 1969. When we went to look at and drive the car last Thursday afternoon, we could have taken our ball gloves and played long toss in the showroom for the entire three hours we were there. There wasn't a customer to be seen except for the two of us. Talk about being treated like a king and queen - I've never seen anything like it in my life....

We are

I must say, my 2001 RX300 has been one of the most trouble-free cars I have ever owned. Other than a couple of dealer visits for a sensor or two, our 100,000+ miles on this car have been trouble free. The car has been well worth the up front cost and has met my expectations.