Gs 460 Quality Problems

I have a 2008 GS460 , purchased 11/2/07, and have several problems including dash rattles, rear window rattles, lumpy console leather cover, distorted finish on plastic drivers sill. All somewhat fixed however front dash rattles are still there at times. The latter after removing and putting in a dash noise kit and damaging dash trim items also.. They have had this kit for about 3 years- why is not in every new vehicle produced?

One major problem still exists. B pillar trim easily damaged by the seat belt. Being extremely careful with the seat belt, it is easy to hit the corner and it immediately breaks through. They have replaced it twice and sprayed it with a vinyl color touchup which lasted two days and faded through. In doing research with the Parts Mgr we found new part numbers for build after 2/2008. Checking a car that just came in, the trim panels are flat rather than protruded out to match the door trim. The finish is miron thin- really. I am now waiting the zone to advise about putting it in.

They have a similar problem on LS460s and supposedly have a kit for that car. Nothing yet for the GS. All of which is a big secret.

I am very disappointed with the quality and feel that Toyota has lost the recipe. I have a 2005 SC430 and have very little problems at all.

Have others had these problems?

I have a 2008 GS460 , purchased 11/2/07, and have several problems including dash rattles, rear window rattles, lumpy console leather cover, distorted finish on plastic drivers sill. All somewhat fixed however front dash rattles are still there at times. The latter after removing and putting in a dash noise kit and damaging dash trim items also.. They have had this kit for about 3 years- why is not in every new vehicle produced?

One major problem still exists. B pillar trim easily damaged by the seat belt. Being extremely careful with the seat belt, it is easy to hit the corner and it immediately breaks through. They have replaced it twice and sprayed it with a vinyl color touchup which lasted two days and faded through. In doing research with the Parts Mgr we found new part numbers for build after 2/2008. Checking a car that just came in, the trim panels are flat rather than protruded out to match the door trim. The finish is miron thin- really. I am now waiting the zone to advise about putting it in.

They have a similar problem on LS460s and supposedly have a kit for that car. Nothing yet for the GS. All of which is a big secret.

I am very disappointed with the quality and feel that Toyota has lost the recipe. I have a 2005 SC430 and have very little problems at all.

Have others had these problems?

I'd reply with my now patented acerbic wit, but the Mods removed all my prior threads, so I'll try not to ruin it for you. I have an '06 GS 300, with the rattly dash. Not fixable.

I think Lexus may be going the way of Mercedes. Sacrificing solidity for style, bank vault build for bling.

Took Benz 50 years to destroy their brand image with chopped roof, chrome rimmed 500 hp ridiculous mobiles, while Lexus chose to trash it in only 15 years or so.

See, the Japanese are faster and better at everything.

True on the 3 years with the dash rattles with no fix by Lexus.

I asked my service manager about the problems with the GS 350 before I bought mine.

He said the dash rattles were a problem year affter year.

I just went in for a brake pad change to a less dusty pad and told him I don't have any rattles yet.

He said you will when the cold weather months arrives.

While it is true that the GS is has a lot of minor issues, once its fix, it is a near perfect car mechanically. I have own a few Japanese and German high end cars and none of them come close to being perfect. I must agree, the rattles in the GS is very disappointing, Lexus know of the problem since 06 and still to this date have not install the fix from the factory. I guess they are taking the same approach with the rest of the Lexus lineup, they all have issues that Lexus decided to fix it at the dealership instead of from the factory. Thats why the initial quality for Lexus have drop, its all about cost cutting, its cheaper to fix at the dealer than to apply changes at the production line.

When you say lumpy center armrest, do you mean the leather is not as smooth as you like. I have notice that too, the leather on the armrest is not the highest quality. I have tried leather canditioner to no avail.

I never had a problem with the B-pillar or the finish on plastic drivers sill.