Battery Drain

exeliot

do you have an alarm?

checked the battery?

added other equipment to the car like audio?

Have the factory alarm but is not on when garaged. Battery is about 6 mos. old and good. No added audio equip. Am going to test the alternator.

My car did that a couple times last year after we first bought it. The last time it did it - I cleaned the terminals up real well (even thought they didn't look too bad) - cleaned the main cables as well. Jumped it, let it idle a while, took for a spirited drive, let it idle down and it hasn't happened again.

took for a spirited drive

I love those!

You can go to a mechanic and have them test the electrical system for power leaks.

Basically they check if any amperage is drawn from the battery while the car is off.

I once had that problem in a chevy and found out that it was a wiring problem with my alarm system.

It was only sucking about an amp but over a few days it would discharge the battery.

When I first bought my 93 SC300 the salesman told me the steering wheel memory (or some other electrical part of the steering column movement thingy) would slowly draw from the battery when the car wasn't used. You can shut it off with a switch on the left side of the column. Don't know if it's true, just passing it along.

When you turn off the car, the trunk cd player is on, alarm could be on, the remote door lock is on and I think the trunk switch (if it's electrical) is on. The horn works too :whistles:

It is possible to turn off the remote door lock with the switch below the steering wheel. Same goes for the trunk (at least in my 92).

• 4 weeks later...

Exeliot,

I am on here tonight looking for anyone else who has experienced that same thing. I thought my alternator went out yesterday. Car wouldn't start and had to have boosted twice.

I took it to my mechanic today and he said it was a power drain zapping my battery. The 12 disc changer was the culprit. He unplugged it somehow for the time being. The quote for a new changer was $800.

Does anyone know where to get one for cheaper, or where I could send mine to have it repaired?

Thanks and good luck