Brake Fluid Flush Due At 30,000 Miles

I do have plenty of experience, but with a painted garage floor, I am wary of doing any more brake fluid flushes. Time is another issue for me now, as I'd rather not spend an afternoon doing it, myself.

But you are correct in that is not difficult as long as you bleed in the correct sequence.

Dave

That's an interesting point, Dave. I am considering painting my garage floor, probably with epoxy. Isn't this impervious to brake fluid and other solvents?

Tom

Tom,

I believe it is, but you might want to check with the manufacturer to be sure. Brake fluid is very strong (can eat through polyurethane paint, from what I understand) stuff. Unfortunately, when my house was being built, the home-type epoxy floor coating kits were not very common and those companies that would do the whole job were asking an arm and leg for payment. Thus, I went with paint. Someday, though...............

Dave

Dave. I know more about DOT3 damaging paint than I wish to remember. I once had a car vandalized with DOT3--apartment neighbors jealous of my brand new car. It dissolved the paint right down to bare metal.

Tom

Dave. I know more about DOT3 damaging paint than I wish to remember. I once had a car vandalized with DOT3--apartment neighbors jealous of my brand new car. It dissolved the paint right down to bare metal.

Tom

OUCH! :o

I'm being charged $599 for my 30K. service.

DOUBLE OUCH! :o :o

• 7 months later...
Also if you do a lot of hard braking, [racing on the track or long descents down high steep mountain roads] the fluid temp can get very high, the water can boil and turn to steam. When that happens you can lose most if not all of the ability to brake.

Hugh? Brake fluid turn to steam? Brake fluid is oil ... so, no steam

I know this is an old thread; I was searching for specific directions on brake bleeding and came upon this information in need of correction. Couldn't help myself.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water from other sources like the atmosphere. So it will eventually absorb water. Brake fluid gets hot; the water will vaporize (turn to steam) and give you a mushy pedal since vapor is compressible.

Also if you do a lot of hard braking, [racing on the track or long descents down high steep mountain roads] the fluid temp can get very high, the water can boil and turn to steam. When that happens you can lose most if not all of the ability to brake.

Hugh? Brake fluid turn to steam? Brake fluid is oil ... so, no steam

I know this is an old thread; I was searching for specific directions on brake bleeding and came upon this information in need of correction. Couldn't help myself.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water from other sources like the atmosphere. So it will eventually absorb water. Brake fluid gets hot; the water will vaporize (turn to steam) and give you a mushy pedal since vapor is compressible.

I have decided to have our fluid flushed when I take the RX in for that steering recall (which takes at least 7 hours, by the way). Our RX has approx. 41,000 miles on it.

I used to do this, myself, but the combination of working with a hazardous fluid and its effect upon a painted garage floor has convinced me to just let the dealership do it. The cost is just a bit over $100.