Check Engine Light Gs 430

My engine light on my 2001 GS430 is on. When I went to the mechanic he told me the computer say it is PO420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold bank 1 and 2, and that each convertor would be $1,250 each. My car runs excellent so it was hard for me to believe that it could be bad. Can anyone tell me were to find a cheaper catalyic convertor or can it be the sensors.

How many miles on your car? How long have you been experiencing the light? I'm not sure what all can be damaged by not replacing this immediately but I was under the impression that it was only needed to pass emissions etc. I know these things can be very expensive though. He said you need 2? It looks like the car has 2 oxygen sensors so thats what the code might be showing.

I know this doesn't help but my 2001 GS 430's check engine light is on as well. It will appear periodically because I have a 2800 rpm performance torque-converter. Does the light ever turn off?

Someone help this guy! I would be interested too. :)

My engine light on my 2001 GS430 is on. When I went to the mechanic he told me the computer say it is PO420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold bank 1 and 2, and that each convertor would be $1,250 each. My car runs excellent so it was hard for me to believe that it could be bad. Can anyone tell me were to find a cheaper catalyic convertor or can it be the sensors.

I want one of your old ones to make a test pipe from. I will send it back or buy it from you.

BP

How many miles on your car? How long have you been experiencing the light? I'm not sure what all can be damaged by not replacing this immediately but I was under the impression that it was only needed to pass emissions etc. I know these things can be very expensive though. He said you need 2? It looks like the car has 2 oxygen sensors so thats what the code might be showing.

I know this doesn't help but my 2001 GS 430's check engine light is on as well. It will appear periodically because I have a 2800 rpm performance torque-converter. Does the light ever turn off?

Someone help this guy! I would be interested too. :)

I have 115,000 miles, once in a while the light may go off but it comes back. Don't the O2 sensor have a different code

do you have to go through inspection in queens? i would try a 2nd mechanic first though and double check it.....odd 4 both vats to be out at same time. sounds more like a faulty o2 sensor

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian

• 2 weeks later...

I've just added a torque converter too and my check engine light is on. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this too? It's kind of hard to isoloate this as just a torque converter issue on my end, as I also just installed a K&N intake and Tanabe Exhaust.

Damn these check engine lights !

what code are you getting?

brian

Actually, i unplugged my battery for 20 min and reconnected. Havent' seen the check engine light on for a week now...could that really have done the trick?

for somethings sometime the ecu just needs to be reset but i wouldn't imagine that its gone i would expect them to pop back up sometime or another! would have thought they would have done it by now though! who knows man........

brian

for somethings sometime the ecu just needs to be reset but i wouldn't imagine that its gone i would expect them to pop back up sometime or another! would have thought they would have done it by now though! who knows man........

brian

You're right...the light came back on, but went off in the same day. My mechanic said it's definitely the intake and not the Torque Converter and that either i just hope that the mass air sensor can adjust, or that i will need to run a stock intake...which sucks!