Alignment Required After Rear Strut Installation?

90LS400Lexus

Thanks. Actually, I had them replaced at an independent repair shop- where I have taken my cars for a while. I never thought to ask them about the alignment. I am really concerned, as the car has almost brand new $450 tires on it and I do not want to ruin them. Thanks again.

a rear alignment is ofcourse always better, and that also includes for your front. Theoretical you need to check alignment periodically, and since you changed your tires also in front, the front has been changed as well.

However, most people (and most shops) do not do the alignment, since it requires expensive equipment and time/effort.

Also, you did not lower your car, so most likely your car will be fine (i.e. within the acceptable range).

An alignment is very important/must if you lower your car.

Doiturself, do you own one of these cars? If you do, get under the rear axle sometime and note that both the upper and lower control arm mounting bolts incorporate eccentric adjusters. The rear axle, which is independant, must be adjusted for camber and toe-in.

All wheel drive has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will call the repair shop Monday to see if they did an alignment, or if they recommend that I have it aligned. It just shows on the receipt from back in June, that the rear struts, all brakes, and 4 tires were replaced, as well as a 4-wheel alignment. I was assuming they did the alignment because of the new tires that were installed.

Even though I only had new rear struts installed- the drive home that night- the steering did not seem as responsive as before, unless it was my imagination. I have not driven it since then, but I am going to drive it tomorrow and see how the steering feels.

Another strange thing, was that when I got home and shifted it into "PARK"- I noticed that the idling was a little higher than it has been. Normally- it is around 600-700 in park and that last evening- it was idling at nearly 1000 rpms. Is it possible that when replacing the struts, that the battery had to be disconnected and the computer needs to reprogram? I do not understand why it was idling fine before and now the idle is high- just after it leaves the shop. I am going to drive it around tomorrow and see what it does. Maybe it is just where the engine was not fully warmed up, as I live fairly close to the repair shop.

Thanks again.

i wouldn't worry about that idle man...that's pretty normal right when you come out of gear....and no you don't have to disconnect the battery to do struts....that would be pointless

The rear is fixed, there is no adjustment there.

The only car that needs a rear alignment is an All Wheels drives vehicle.

ok i'm sorry but what kinda idiot are you doityourself?

have you not ever heard of fully independant rear suspensions? (they've only been in comon use since the 60's)

i wouldn't worry about that idle man...that's pretty normal right when you come out of gear....and no you don't have to disconnect the battery to do struts....that would be pointless
The rear is fixed, there is no adjustment there.

The only car that needs a rear alignment is an All Wheels drives vehicle.

ok i'm sorry but what kinda idiot are you doityourself?

have you not ever heard of fully independant rear suspensions? (they've only been in comon use since the 60's)

Thanks. I drove the car today on a longer trip and the idle was back down- even when placed in "park". I guess it was where the engine was not fully warmed up on my short trip back home.

Also- I did not think that the battery would have to be disconnected for rear struts, unless something electrical had to be removed when the rear seat was removed- such as speakers.

I would still like to know what all they had to remove to change my rear struts. I have heard that only the rear seat has to be removed, but then I heard that the rear package shelf also had to be removed. I would think that a lot of parts would have to be removed if the package shelf indeed had to be removed. If it did have to be removed- wouldn't all of the "C" pillar trim have to be removed, or will the package shelf come out without removing that? I am just interested to know what all they did to the rear interior of my car while changing the struts. Thanks again.