Leaking Coolant Reservoir

joedoc

I have a nagging leak where the coolant sensor plugs into the plastic reservoir. I have tried tightening the plastic screw and also tried silicone sealant without improvement. Does anyone have experience with this or ideas for a fix? Thanks :(

You're in Cincy eh? Small world. Drop a dime some time. If you want to try to keep the old rez - you will have to try some rigging. I'm thinking if you can find an internally/externally threaded nipple that matches the threads of the sensor, then you could drill out the hole to just under the external thread diameter of the nipple. Then either tap the new hole or heat the insert and the plastic rez will mold into the external threads to hopefully form a nice seal. Or you could make your own out of a plastic bottle of some sort. Get creative. I'm really buisy for the next few months - but if you want, we might be able to meet up and see what we can rig. It might even look good. Don't hold me to it though for now. I will have time come March.

:cheers: I think I may have found a cheap fix. I bought an expansion plug ( 1--1 1/8 in) for 3 bucks that seems to seal the opening well. These plugs are hard rubber with metal washers on each end and a bolt through the center. When you tighten the bolt the rubber is squeezed and it expands out to seal up the opening. I put it through the opening for the coolant sensor, and so far no leaks. Of course the coolant sensor no longer works so need to keep an eye on the coolant level. Hope someone else may find this helpful.

• 1 year later...
:cheers:    I think I may have found a cheap fix.  I bought an expansion plug ( 1--1 1/8 in)  for 3 bucks that seems to seal the opening well.  These plugs are hard rubber with metal washers on each end and a bolt through the center.  When you tighten the bolt the rubber is squeezed and it expands out to seal up the opening.    I put it through the opening for the coolant sensor, and so far no leaks.  Of course the coolant sensor no longer works so need to keep an eye on the coolant level.  Hope someone else may find this helpful.

JoeDoc,

Thanks for the tip. I'm having the exact same problem on my 95sc400. I'll try your idea and hopefully it works.

See ya,

MMM